W H Malcolm's @ Crick

Hello all,

Anybody know how much these guys are paying and what they are like to work for? Might think of applying if any good.

Cheers people

It always makes me laugh why people ask on a forum what wages a company pays. Most people who work for a company are unlikely to give an exact figure for a number of reasons. Other people will spout figures they may have seen in job adverts which may or may not be agency rates. Some people will say it used to be x amount an hour but that was a few years ago.

Not to mention drivers at the same companies can be on different contracts on different rates of pay and different shifts.

Why can people not enquire with the company direct what the wages are? Or try to speak to drivers that work there even though most won’t give you a straight answer.

As an example my contract is a 50hr a week contract over 5 nights. My basic is 10.68 an hour plus night shift bonus, works out to around 33k a year off the top of my head. Also get 5 quid a week towards our mobile phone bill for the odd call to the office as they don’t supply phones or cab phones.

I don’t do any nights out unless I agree to do then one here and there as a favour. I do night runs and it’s easy work I generally only do my 50 hours a week most of the time even though I get paid overtime at 1.5 over my 50 hours odd weeks I might do up to 55.

All in all for the money and the easy job and decentish working conditions I can’t grumble at it at all.

Now some will say I wouldn’t get out if bed for that, some will work Max hours a week on less pay to get the same as that wage. Some will claim they are on 25 quid an hour basic and have 3 villas 4 yachts and a veyron but they love to work.

It’s all horses for courses, best to find the correct info out from the company and find out what the conditions are like. If I want to know more about the job I ring the company and ask them, explaining that I need more info on pay etc as I don’t want to waste their time and mine going to an interview if the job is not paying enough. I’ve always had good responses and got the info I asked for or at least a rough idea.

On a last note, jobs should be advertised with no bull and should state the remuneration package on offer even if it is for between 25-35k a year then that is what it should say, it should also state any bonuses and overtime rates etc. It’s time this was made law in a job advert.

Just my opinion of course but again because someone else enjoys working there or thinks the conditions or wages are good doesn’t mean you or someone else will feel the same. The only real way to know is to try find out and try it for yourself, that’s what most people do in other jobs.

Anyway hope you find the info your looking for.

In fact at our place I have asked drivers many times before I started my class one training, and none of them would give me an straight answer, it wa always vague oh it’s about x amount a week as long as I come out with x amount a week I’m Happy. All I wanted to know was what their basic rate was and how many hours they were contacted for but the answers were all vague. Then I found out we have 48 hour contracts, 50 hour contracts, 4 on 4 off contracts and banked hour contracts that I know of.

78:45 hrs and 5 nights in the cab got £697 for one company driver,his biggest week in 6 months since he started. he was told at interview that he would be on £650 for 50hrs plus o/t
Agency were paying £13:50 flat rate, its probally still the same as very few want to work there

Thanks for the response people.

205:
78:45 hrs and 5 nights in the cab got £697 for one company driver,his biggest week in 6 months since he started. he was told at interview that he would be on £650 for 50hrs plus o/t
Agency were paying £13:50 flat rate, its probally still the same as very few want to work there

Then that driver is a sucker. My basic is in the region of 630-650 a week for a basic 50 hour week, it depends a little on the night shift bonus depending on whether I start at 6pm or earlier dependant on what runs I’m on.

My highest full time in a week was 1020.00 top line but that included overtime and a decent amount of overtime.

My highest on agency in the same job again for a lot of hours was just shy of 1000 for the week top line.

No nights out of payments reimbursed included in those figures, if I had to pay parking etc they would be added on to my wages and night out money would also be paid in addition.

I should add I don’t drive for Malcolm’s my post was a general observation about wage and conditions. What suits one person may not suit everyone.

Oh and I work for a logistics company that people slate as being bad to work for and pay poor wages apparently.

I’m happy with my lot for my job at the company I work for as most our drivers are, beet few complain about the job or wages, so either we are all happy or all desperate lol

Weasel87:
Hello all,

Anybody know how much these guys are paying and what they are like to work for? Might think of applying if any good.

Cheers people

It’s £10 + and a crap O/T rate

I don’t know where 205 is getting their information, but it’s false, and/or their mate is lying.

I was there a year ago and it was 10 something an hour, then 12 something an hour after 48 hours. An average week will score you between 600-700 squid. If you pull a 5 nighter, working long (13-15s) hours, it’ll be about 900, before tax obviously.

In saying that, do NOT work for this company, especially not at this depot. The driver trainers and managers have power complexes, they want you to know your place, and it is ALWAYS your fault when something goes wrong. No loyalty from company to driver, they will stitch you up something rotten to cover their own asses.

There are a few who have stuck it out for decades, but for the most part this company has a moderately high turnover of drivers.

Also, if tramping, you will usually be nighting out <50 miles from depot due to the way a lot of the runs work.

Cheers mate, just wanted people’s thoughts.

The company is a reflection of the original boss who thankfully has passed away but his boy is a chip off the old block. Berth, wide give…