W&D AFrame!!

My Boss has bought a second hand wagon & Drag, drag is an A frame i used them for the first time 15 years ago… so still have the no-how but rusty how many of you can reverse one of theese :blush: :wink:

Used to be do it back in the 60’s, had a few years on a Leyland Comet 9 car transporter without power steering. It is best to put in small shunts and try to keep the vehicle reasonably straight. Would not like to go back to it now, it used to handle like a dream driving on the road with next to no cut in on corners due to the long overhang on the unit which steered the trailer out.

Yeah but i still prefer the twin axel drag much easier to manover,i remember as a spotty twenty something my boss then at pinches trans well son youve got your class one now your goin to learn how to drive here s your truck scannie 82 and there s the drag (A frame ) took me 3 months to master it… But that was 20 years ago!!!.

pratice makes perfect so they say :laughing:
But i still screw it up sometimes :laughing: :laughing:

tony66:
pratice makes perfect so they say :laughing:

thats much more polite than what i would say if someone told me to drive one :laughing:

Hodgy67:
My Boss has bought a second hand wagon & Drag, drag is an A frame i used them for the first time 15 years ago… so still have the no-how but rusty how many of you can reverse one of theese :blush: :wink:

If you could do it 15 years ago, you’ll soon get it back. Just like riding a bike.

The thing to remember is to take it slowly and use only small steering movements.

On a straight back reverse, keep an eye on both mirrors and keep the sides of the drag and the unit in a straight line.
If the drag starts to break out, compensate by applying a small steering movement in the opposite direction.
As mentioned, only use small steering corrections, or you will end up swinging from one lock to the other.

If reversing, say, onto a ramp and you cannot reverse on in a straight line, try to set the whole rig up at an angle to the ramp, as you would do in an artic. Obviously, try to do it on your good side, as blind side reversing is usually not big and not clever.

In a right ■■■■■■, apply a small amount of right lock. This will “kink” the A frame in the right direction and you can reverse slowly back, keeping an eye on the A frame AND where the back of the drag is going.
To do this, to hell with mirrors, stick your head out of the window. You will have a far clearer picture of how things are going.
Think of the drag as a rigid and what direction the steering axle needs to go in order to get it where you want it to go.

Using small steering movements and reversing slowly, you will be able to control the direction of the A frame.
Try to keep the angle between the unit and the drag as shallow as possible.
If you end up with the whole lot at 90 degrees to each other, then things are possibly not going to go very well.

As with anything, it takes a bit of practice but once you have your “Eureka” moment, it’s a piece of cake.

It’s a bit hard to explain in print, so have a look at THIS VIDEO. The commentary is in German, but you can still get a feel for the manoeuvre by watching.

Inselaffe drives an A frame W&D for a living and has some pics and a short blog -
HERE

I last drove one around 1984 I think and got quite proficient with it, to be fair I had had a lot of practice as I had been working as a yard shunter with a “push me pull you” whilst the DVLA were borrowing my licence :blush: So when I got back on the road I had learned how to reverse them fairly well.

I would like to see if it is as easy as falling off a bike now.

Think of the drag as a rigid and what direction the steering axle needs to go in order to get it where you want it to go.

That’s the secret.

think of the A frame drag
and a corner it can be abandoned to rust away :laughing:

there ok going forward :smiley:

hitch:
think of the A frame drag
and a corner it can be abandoned to rust away :laughing:

there ok going forward :smiley:

Aw, c’mon fella.
A frames are your friend :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: