VW set to sell Bugatti Marque to Rimac

:astonished: If you have a couple of quid under the mattress for a hyper car now is your chance to buy the VW 16 cylinder Bugatti engined hyper car before it’s turned into a BEV by the Croatian Rimac EV company :open_mouth: rushlane.com/volkswagen-gro … 75942.html

Might as well invest it in nuclear power generators.Then spend some of the profits on a classic Ferrari or Lambo.It’s then just a question of whether you’re old enough to stop driving before they stop the fuel supply,or the thing needs unobtainable parts, or the first and last major nuclear disaster.

Carryfast:
Might as well invest it in nuclear power generators.Then spend some of the profits on a classic Ferrari or Lambo.It’s then just a question of whether you’re old enough to stop driving before they stop the fuel supply,or the thing needs unobtainable parts, or the first and last major nuclear disaster.

It´s all academic for me as I would not buy any supercar simply because I know, absolutely know, I would lose my licence in the first few weeks of ownership! I always dreamed of a Porsche 911 when I retired (a dream I could have realised) but luckily (!) got done for speeding in a Passat diesel not long before retirement came up. I saw reason and saved my dosh!

Be careful what you wish for. My late uncle, a time-served Motor Engineer of the old school who after leaving the army post-WW2 set up and ran a garage/motor repair business for over forty years always promised himself a Ferrari as a retirement present to himself. When he eventually did sell off the business, he bought a three-year-old Ferrari 308GTB. He only kept it for about three months - every time he took it out, something broke or fell off, or some mechanical or engine problem would develop. He told me that the fit and finish of the car was appalling, and that it was probably the worst of the thousands of cars he’d had or handled in his career. It was a genuine Ferrari, and not a kit car as I jokingly suggested. He said it would probably have been better if it was. Supercars aren’t always so super, especially when viewed though rose-tinted glasses.

Dipster:

Carryfast:

It´s all academic for me as I would not buy any supercar simply because I know, absolutely know, I would lose my licence in the first few weeks of ownership! I always dreamed of a Porsche 911 when I retired (a dream I could have realised) but luckily (!) got done for speeding in a Passat diesel not long before retirement came up. I saw reason and saved my dosh!

There was never a case for anything capable of 120 mph + just to be used on UK roads since the 70 limit was introduced.
It’s still possible to find unlimited stretches of autobahn and anything seems slow climbing alpine passes.You can never have enough/too much power for that at the right time and in the right conditions. :wink:

fodenway:
Be careful what you wish for. My late uncle, a time-served Motor Engineer of the old school who after leaving the army post-WW2 set up and ran a garage/motor repair business for over forty years always promised himself a Ferrari as a retirement present to himself. When he eventually did sell off the business, he bought a three-year-old Ferrari 308GTB. He only kept it for about three months - every time he took it out, something broke or fell off, or some mechanical or engine problem would develop. He told me that the fit and finish of the car was appalling, and that it was probably the worst of the thousands of cars he’d had or handled in his career. It was a genuine Ferrari, and not a kit car as I jokingly suggested. He said it would probably have been better if it was. Supercars aren’t always so super, especially when viewed though rose-tinted glasses.

To be fair a Ferrari 308 isn’t really a ‘supercar’.
Right amount of cylinders, right suspension, engine in the right place, right road.Perfect. :bulb: :wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=A1nKWyb8aJs

One of those new 4 litre cayman/boxer gts…would do for me.
Had a go in the 4cyl version(proper weapon)so the 6 cyl,must be epic.

Looks like VW’s other performance brands Lamborghini & Ducati might be going the same way as Bugatti!, VW cant afford to electrify these premium brands & they will be a millstone around their neck come 2025 when the next emission standards kick in :open_mouth: Lots of European ICE manufacturers R&D jobs will be obsolete after 2025. financialpost.com/pmn/business- … r-strategy

Dipster:

Carryfast:

I used to have an '84 BMW 635 CSi, manual close ratio box. Quiet, comfortable, leather electric everything.
But impossible to drive sensibly. Still miss it though.[emoji3]

lancpudn:
Looks like VW’s other performance brands Lamborghini & Ducati might be going the same way as Bugatti!, VW cant afford to electrify these premium brands & they will be a millstone around their neck come 2025 when the next emission standards kick in :open_mouth: Lots of European ICE manufacturers R&D jobs will be obsolete after 2025. financialpost.com/pmn/business- … r-strategy

What it’s actually saying is that they want to sell electric toy at a proper car price.
The reality is people with money know value for money and an electric toy at a proper car price isn’t it.They aren’t a charity to supply the rip off EV manufacturers with profits.
There’s nothing in the rules which would stop new cars being made with hydrogen fuelled ICE.This is all about the manufacturers looking for easy money but car enthusiasts aren’t that stupid.
Classic cars will be the default option.Even if it takes an under ground skunk works making parts supplies.
It will make no difference if the EV makers then try to sabotage that by calling for retrospectively applied legislation or try to close down the classic car scene.
What would be the point those types of cars aren’t bought for household trips to the shops or commuting.
It will just create loads of redundancies and the loss of a large contributor to the economy out of spite.
Which leaves the question what is the intention regards long distance Grand Touring.Are they going to dig up all that road system too.
There’s more to this control freak agenda and it has nothing to do with ‘emmissions’.
More like an enforced needless solution to a non existent problem so that the big players can make some easy money and our accepted freedoms of movement and choice are curtailed.It stinks of Communism being behind it.

Blimey! they all seem to be at it!!! Honda have just announced they’re quitting supplying F1 engines after next season to concentrate on zero emission technology :open_mouth:
“TOKYO – Honda will end its participation as an engine supplier in the FIA Formula One World Championship at the end of the 2021 season to focus on zero-emissions technology, it said on Friday.” europe.autonews.com/automake…ons-technology

lancpudn:
Blimey! they all seem to be at it!!! Honda have just announced they’re quitting supplying F1 engines after next season to concentrate on zero emission technology :open_mouth:
“TOKYO – Honda will end its participation as an engine supplier in the FIA Formula One World Championship at the end of the 2021 season to focus on zero-emissions technology, it said on Friday.” europe.autonews.com/automake…ons-technology

To be fair F1 long ago became irrelevant it’s no longer motor racing it turned into a laughably limited driver racing series.
Not that Le Mans to Drag Racing is much better in terms of the control freakery leaving no place for the brains of the builder having carte blanche to win a race based on fastest most powerful motor wins playing any part.
Then they laughably make a movie based on how a 7 litre Ford blew the doors off a 3.9 litre Ferrari without restrictors and fuel consumption limits getting in the way of the spectacle.They couldn’t make it up.
Something stinks like the ‘UN’ is in control of our whole lives and everything we do from now on. :frowning:

Carryfast:

lancpudn:

To be fair F1 long ago became irrelevant it’s no longer motor racing it turned into a laughably limited driver racing series.
Not that Le Mans to Drag Racing is much better in terms of the control freakery leaving no place for the brains of the builder having carte blanche to win a race based on fastest most powerful motor wins playing any part.
Then they laughably make a movie based on how a 7 litre Ford blew the doors off a 3.9 litre Ferrari without restrictors and fuel consumption limits getting in the way of the spectacle.They couldn’t make it up.
Something stinks like the ‘UN’ is in control of our whole lives and everything we do from now on. :frowning:

Yeah I agree with that, I still watch F1 occasionally but only at certain circuits where there’s a chance of overtaking & I pray for rain in every race.

I wonder how Honda’s decision to concentrate on zero emission engine tech will affect the Indy car series in the USA, I’m sure Honda supplies engines to more than half the teams in that series!

lancpudn:

Carryfast:

lancpudn:

Yeah I agree with that, I still watch F1 occasionally but only at certain circuits where there’s a chance of overtaking & I pray for rain in every race.

I wonder how Honda’s decision to concentrate on zero emission engine tech will affect the Indy car series in the USA, I’m sure Honda supplies engines to more than half the teams in that series!

The whole thing defeats the object of a competition based on who can create the best and fastest motor.Let’s go to Honda for an engine to compete in a high profile US race series is just a statement that we’re too stupid to compete and the rules have made it so that we’re not allowed to even if we wanted to.
The Ford v Ferrari wars at Le Mans was the definition of motor racing.Just like any other formula libre race series.
No one prayed for rain to slow down Ferrari’s competition because again that would defeat the object.
End up facing a big Mopar Hemi with a small block Chevy on a drag strip don’t whinge about it you lost to the better car.Return with a big block next time.
Everything else is corporate control freak bs.
Who cares what Honda does in that regard it’s just part of the problem and good riddance.

No wonder VW want to offload their supercar brands as the likes of Bugatti, Lamborghini, & Ferrari’s also will be subject to a green tax of €50000 from the start of 2022, :open_mouth: europe.autonews.com/automakers/ … tax-france

Franglais:

Dipster:

Carryfast:

I used to have an '84 BMW 635 CSi, manual close ratio box. Quiet, comfortable, leather electric everything.

I was using a 3.0 CSL in the late 70’s, a scary piece of kit for a teenager to be let loose in as a company car. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
I was using a 3.0 CSL in the late 70’s, a scary piece of kit for a teenager to be let loose in as a company car. :stuck_out_tongue:

A 3.0 Si followed the Triumph 2.5 PI in my case.I didn’t know any different to the big Triumph from starting to drive and treated it with nonchalance by then and the BMW had the climb up in power that the Triumph needed. :smiley:
The injected 3.0 M30 was one of if not the most powerful 6 cylinder motors available in the day.
Interestingly the performance figures for the 4 door saloon matched the Pontiac GTO and close as made no difference to the CSL.From memory the CSL had the similar 4 speed box as the Si/CSi.
Excellent styling on both too.
I was actually thinking about an M88 and 5 speed manual conversion for the E3 like the E28 M5.
But decided that the Jag XJ12 had better potential with better steering and better wishbone suspension front and rear.
Luckily I did because it looks like its old rust issues came back to finish it off in the 1990’s.

lancpudn:
No wonder VW want to offload their supercar brands as the likes of Bugatti, Lamborghini, & Ferrari’s also will be subject to a green tax of €50000 from the start of 2022, :open_mouth: europe.autonews.com/automakers/ … tax-france

That’s small change to those who can afford to buy and run them.
No wonder the classic market is taking off.With the win win that classic types are better drivers’ cars.I’d prefer an older manual Ferrari 550 to a soul less electro switch shift modern one anyway.

Wheel Nut:

Franglais:

Dipster:

Carryfast:

Lovely elegant looking cars I thought. Never drove one though.