VOSA Walkaround Form

dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/HGV%20pullout.pdf

Thought this might be interesting or helpful to anyone. :slight_smile:

thanks for that, i,ve heard people talking about these “walk round checks” looks like hard work to me, fire her up, pour a coffee out and away i go, quick check in the mirror at the first roundabout to make sure all the wheels are still on and thats enough for me :smiley: :wink:

every lorry in work has one of these

Aslong as the wheels are round, that’ll do.

sea frog:
every lorry in work has one of these

Same with my 3 vehicles. Laminated them so there arent any excuses that the driver didnt know what to check. They are free aswell so its a no brainer to stick them in each cab.

A Vehicle NIL Defect Book is the way to go, and fill them in daily.

A laminated check sheet in the cab wouldn’t cut the mustard in a VOSA control.

Wheel Nut:
A Vehicle NIL Defect Book is the way to go, and fill them in daily.

A laminated check sheet in the cab wouldn’t cut the mustard in a VOSA control.

The laminated sheet is in addition wheel nut. You dont write on it, just gives you a visual aid regarding what needs checking. We have defect books aswell that get filled in.

i do a fully walk around at start of week check every thing but as i keep same truck and trailer all week then daily its a quick check of a wheel count and rear lights, number plate etc daily in a nil defect check book

I do a check in the morning and usually have a walk around when fuelling up,

we have a daily check list on our daily work sheet , & they are filled out every day , even the 8 wheeler drivers who have completed & ticked off their air lines , & 5thwheel coupling are in good working order :open_mouth:

there you go … fail safe :wink:

thanks for the link though , i’ve printed it off & will give me something to colour in on my next 45 min break :slight_smile:

We have the tachodisk defect books (actual i have to do 2 ! unit & trailer!)
my question is do you fill it in in the morning ? at the start off shift or end off shift ?
i always do my check at start off shift but fill in form at end off shift , am i right ?

if you have to fill any daily check /defect book out it should be at the start of you shift, if a defect occurs during the day then you’d fill out another defect page accordingly

we too also have the tachodisc books , so as well as the daily checks /defect tick boxes on our daily sheet, the tachodisc defect books are used as & when an actual defect occurs , else we’d go through a book every 2 weeks !
i also look in the defect book after anyone else has used my lorry just to check if any defects have come up & wether they’ve been repaired or not

MolePower:
if you have to fill any daily check /defect book out it should be at the start of you shift, if a defect occurs during the day then you’d fill out another defect page accordingly

we too also have the tachodisc books , so as well as the daily checks /defect tick boxes on our daily sheet, the tachodisc defect books are used as & when an actual defect occurs , else we’d go through a book every 2 weeks !
i also look in the defect book after anyone else has used my lorry just to check if any defects have come up & wether they’ve been repaired or not

Definitely start of shift, if you get stopped later in the day, that bulb may have just blown, but if you marked it as not working then you are going to get done. Its a cover your arse form, and needs to be rectified before you take the vehicle on the road again. If you tick that the tyres are good, then they find a bald tyre, you either haven’t done your checks or you have created a false record :bulb:

Place I worked at had the daily checks on time sheet & a RHA defect to be filled in daily even though we told the fitter the prob he sorted it asap