Vosa walk around check legal requirements

My company uses the tachodisc defect book

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

banquo46:
Hello can anyone help with the following ;

For the past ten years i have been using the RHA defect book everyday as a walk around check sheet and defect book. it’s easy and simple to use. We have a new transport manager who has produced a weekly check sheet (downloaded off the net) with about 10 times the amount of boxes to tick including…fuel amount, milage, smoke sign in cab, etc …the normal check sheet you would expect at a big company like morrisons using many drivers.
the thing is the company only has two class 2 trucks…so hardly complicated to work things out.

He tells us that this check sheet is a legal requirement of vosa and that the RHA defect book is not. Can anyone tell me what vosa legally require ? …surely not the amount of fuel, milage, drop off points etc?

Many thanks

just do what they ask it’s their time and you’re being paid so what does it matter?

bobbya:
just do what they ask it’s their time and you’re being paid so what does it matter?

+1

Christ ■■■■ it up buttercup.
They pays your wages just get on with it. The more checks you do the less road time.

Our daily check sheets have got over thirty tickboxes on them including three checks for your sacktruck!!!

Are things like checking that the tacho calibration is in date and that you’ve got enough print roll in the cab legal requirements or just extra guff that your company add on?

Thought the check sheet i do now was hard 4 questions and answer yes or no then sign it then away.

Conor:

lolipop:
Why do you have a TM if you only have 2 class 2 trucks,or am I reading your posting wrong :question: :confused:

Because it is a legal requirement to have a transport manager.

I work for TP , a small branch 2wagons . no transport manager ■■? will we be covered from another (larger) branch or via head office ■■

we have generic looking defect sheets where i work, 15 or so boxes to tick and a time & date at the top. Boss is happy as long as we show between 10-15 minutes of other work at the start of a shift. Suits us as well. Tacho in, kettle on, walk around while it boils, make a coffee, jump in cab and do in cab checks, away you go.

syramax:

Conor:

lolipop:
Why do you have a TM if you only have 2 class 2 trucks,or am I reading your posting wrong :question: :confused:

Because it is a legal requirement to have a transport manager.

I work for TP , a small branch 2wagons . no transport manager ■■? will we be covered from another (larger) branch or via head office ■■

Yes you will be.
The company i work for has 17 sites accross the country but only one transport manager.
He does have a couple of underlings who visit the sites to keep an eye on things etc.

You would not believe some of the pre-trip check sheets that I’ve been given by various companies that I’ve worked for in the UK.
Some are down to the basics like the little booklet mentioned, name,reg,date,start km then tick the boxes and sign, but others :exclamation:
Case of, do your checks, however important that you think they are in your mind, lights,pin,clip,tyres,wipers,oil-fuel-additive levels, tick the boxes and GO

Company I work for has a sheet on the wall of the office with all the vehicle registration numbers on it. We’ve to tick that when we finish our shift to say we done our checks in the morning.

I make a point of showing a few minutes on the card each day at the start of duty. Then I write ‘No faults or defects found’ if there is not, or write the defects nature and action taken on my daily timesheet.

I asked a VOSA bloke once if it were a legal duty to fill in a book and he said there was not. If you drive the same vehicle each day, then there is no need for a full 15 minute check he said. 8 to ten would suffice.

Don’t forget you can do some checks as you approach the vehicle, any leaks, tyres, damage?

check fluid levels ( Yep, coffee ok )

“Keep it simple stupid”. I’m not sure if the philosophy of a defect log got lost in the ages or the instruction sheet was alway missing off my books. I filled out those rha sheets like aircraft tech logs which are vast but same basic principle and I’m not entirely sure they didn’t get the idea from tech logs. The more writing/ marks, the more you pay attention.

It’s a record of defects/events/Maint action about this vehicle rather than a record of blogg’s “Look how good i am at checks by useless show of ticks” record. Pointless, throw away the book, toilet paper, useful to no one. I believe it’s the way the RHA logs are meant to be filled out - the only tick/cross on the defect boxes was the nil defects box and my signature at the bottom to declare that checks have been carried out.

If there was a defect then relevant box such as “mirrors” got then a mark/cross to show yes there’s a defect on that area and defect written up in text. Some blokes ticked every box including “nil defects”. They must like writing, shopping lists or confusing anyone looking over defect history. Tick tick tick tick :laughing:

Page 37 of the DVSA guide below gives an example of a drivers defect report. There isn’t an example of a Walkaround check sheet.

I would suggest there isn’t actually a REQUIRED document but the one on page 37 below is a RECOMMENDED or SUGGESTED document.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/321988/guide-to-maintaining-roadworthiness.pdf

Think you got it hard try being a captain of a submarine

Lights, air lines, leg handle clipped in and trailer brake off, chck wheel nut pointers (if the trailer has it) trailer tyres and tilt wires and im off. Seems like H&S ■■■■■■■■ has swallowed the \uk…

Twoninety88:
I asked a VOSA bloke once if it were a legal duty to fill in a book and he said there was not. If you drive the same vehicle each day, then there is no need for a full 15 minute check he said. 8 to ten would suffice.

Thing is should you be stopped and serious defects found you can end up in front of your local friendly Traffic Comissioner.
I’m told that they can produce a 3d type effect of your lorry and ask you to show them how you do your daily checks .
Now if you have shown an average of 5 or 6 minutes on your card and your walk round check for the Comissioner takes 15 - well I’m sure you can see where that ends up .
Daily checks take as long as you need to do them properly.

trevHCS:
How he thinks the no smoking sign will ever be of concern to VOSA he’s delusional.

Not every check is about the DVSA though is it? Rightly or wrongly a no smoking sign, among other inconsequential fripperies, is a requirement for Crossrail sites and you can and will be turned away without it. I’d expect a carpetting if I spent 3 hours driving to West London only to be turned away because I hadn’t checked I had the correct sticker before I left.

The reason they have a vehicle check list so long is to cover themselves in the event of an incident, if you have ticked an item as being o.k. and you are pulled in for a check and something is found to be wrong that you have ticked as o.k. then the company has covered themselves, the checklist was one suggested by FTA and as members of the FTA the company gets checked to make sure they are worthy members so if you use their checklist you should be fit members. I guess you are talking about the Wakefield depot where they had 2 fourwheelers to service 1 store in Bradford, but around 75 units and an endless amount of trailers including doubledeckers and 16.5 metre trailers.