VOSA tolerance on exceeding driving hours

EXCEED 4.5HRS DRIVING CONTRARY TO ARTICLE 7 REG EC561/2006

Severity — time driving beyond the limit

Endorsable NO

FP amount
0 up to, but not including 1 hour £60.00
1 hour up to, but not including - 2 hours £120.00
2 hours and over £200.00

The legislation shows the first hour as a £60.00 penalty, but VOSA examiners will generally allow a 15 minute tolerance before notice issue. If, however a driver repeatedly ‘makes use’ of this 15 minutes then the examiner may still take action.

businesslink.gov.uk/Transpor … sits_2.pdf

Not sure where this post is headed, but I have never yet a VOSA who would agree with parking up for a night out a few minutes away from the yard, all agree its sensible to get back, a driver who drives to the limit every day and goes over by a few miniutes in never going to be on VOSA’s radar, they are not bothered by 3-5 minutes here and there, and to be honest the very ocassional 10-15 minutes. They look for the habitual law breaking, where its not circumstance or incident, but a deliberate act

In the old days of Headlight magasine tales of drivers being prosecuted b,y what was the the DOT , for 5 minutes here and the reraised much comment on our then forums, Until I talked to the head of enforcement. Bear in mind that the tracking of drivers hours was far less sophisticated then, untl it was pointed out that they only proescuted what they could prove, and they knew that far more serious breaches had happened.

VOSA will understand the practilalities of the job, but kbnw when people are taking the ■■■■, a subtle difference but one that is worth bearing in mind

Rikki-UK:
In the old days of Headlight magasine tales of drivers being prosecuted b,y what was the the DOT , for 5 minutes here and the reraised much comment on our then forums,

VOSA will understand the practilalities of the job, but kbnw when people are taking the ■■■■, a subtle difference but one that is worth bearing in mind

I made the Headlight once, unnamed apart from the offence but in a "multi agency swoop near Bawtry. I think there was a weighbridge but could be mistaken on that. Any way the stop team consisted of a copper on a BSA and a couple of blokes in a Ford Cortina I think :stuck_out_tongue:

My crime. Failing to fill in a weekly report and I think the fine was about 12quid, it was more embarrassing when the boss found out, he laughed loudly and showed me how it should be done :laughing:

I think there is some concern that VOSA are about to take a more rigid stance over drivers’ hours and make decisions which are more income-related than practical.

Harry Monk:
I think there is some concern that VOSA are about to take a more rigid stance over drivers’ hours and make decisions which are more income-related than practical.

That may be true Harry, but we already have a tolerance built into the regulations, we have 2 hours extra tolerance by using the 10 hour driving periods, it is up to the driver to use those 2 hours wisely. So if someone drives 9.03 minutes to reach their favorite layby where the TV signal is strongest, to me they have wasted almost an hours driving time.

I generally split my day into 3 and try to make sure I get my breakfast between the first 2 segments, otherwise experience tells me that I will be eating breakfast at midnight and in my opinion it is this practice that makes anyone go the extra mile or eleven miles.

Gendarmes in France would allow a driver to reach a restaurant with hot food and a shower,with time elapsed on driving time.A French driver without the rule of 5 courses of food is a no no.I have noticed Guardia Civil motorbike units with a faint smell of alcholol on their breaths.Must be those coffee cognacs.

6.30 mine was flahsing up otherday, but i was in standstill traffic on m4 between jct 17/18… just wrote on the print out and hope for the best: )

Trucker beads:
6.30 mine was flahsing up otherday, but i was in standstill traffic on m4 between jct 17/18… just wrote on the print out and hope for the best: )

6hrs 30 mins :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: did you stop start 390 times in the traffic :exclamation: :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

yeh it was a nightmare.

Who lost a load of bricks on the M4,J18 at Bath.Repair to barriers.Few days ago,that was.

toby1234abc:
Who lost a load of bricks on the M4,J18 at Bath.Repair to barriers.Few days ago,that was.

That was it not sure who the bricks were, but there was a dairy fresh wagon involved.

As with all these limits (whether it be a speed limit or a max driving limit) it surely isn’t something to be aimed at. If you set out in the beginning of your shift to do 10 hours you’re bound to get stuck at some stage.

Better off aiming for 9 hours and using the extra hour if you get held up somewhere.

should go to prison if you go over your hours!!! bent running should not be tollarated!!! send them to prison that is the only way to deal with people who go over there hours no exceptions!!!