VOSA / Sealed Trailers

So when you pick up a sealed trailer, what’s the official line with a VOSA tug?

I been trunking with taut deckers, now the one going there’s no probs as they’re usually still loading it when I rock up, so I can see it’s strapped and loaded right. But the one coming back is pre-loaded, sealed and there’s no-one on site. I can’t see in it so don’t know how it’s loaded and if the load’s secure. Obviously, you can tell how it’s loaded after the first few roundabouts.

If the VOSA want to see inside, where do I stand? Trailer is sealed/tagged each corner and the doors, if I open it the load gets rejected at the other end.

I’m sure VOSA would sign your paperwork and give you a reference number / contact number should there be any issues (this is an assumption).

As for the load security “the driver is responsible for the load”.

open it and check it. That’s your job according to the law, The law overpowers some company policy.

Hmmm, they would have to sign to take financial responsibility for the load being rejected. Because it would be rejected, reference number or not!

With seals not intact or broken the driver is liable for any goods missing or broken.
The French customs would attach their own seal and sign the paperwork if they broke the seal.
Container drivers have the same dilema with those thick bolts as seals.If the load is top heavy,they are not told.
I would ask the boss for seals,break the ones on it when collected the trailer.
Check the load and re-seal it and note it on the papers.

Personally even years ago when pulling trailers loaded with booze for example I have always broken the seal to check load security then asked at gatehouse for re seal if possible (having noted original seal number and reason for opening on delivery note / CMR.)
Had a couple of awkward scenes when pulling Sainsbury’s trailers but when you point out your legal obligation and that usually in law the driver’s descision (as long as deemed to be reasonable) is final they have always backed down.
Stand firm and check your load. It’s your neck on the block once you are on the public highway!
Pretty sure that DVSA would break and re seal just the same as HMRC etc do and annote your paperwork appropriately.

You can refuse to open the back doors of the trailer for them if there is no obvious sign of a load shifting i.e a bulge in the curtain.

Personally even years ago when pulling trailers loaded with booze for example I have always broken the seal to check load security then asked at gatehouse for re seal if possible (having noted original seal number and reason for opening on delivery note / CMR.
Had a couple of awkward scenes when oulling Sainsbury’s trailers but when you point out your legal obligation and that usually in law the driver’s descision (as long as deemed to be reasonable) is final they have always backed down.
Stand firm and check your load. It’s your neck on the block once you are on the public highway!

I would’t take such a trailer out!
Who knows. Some sleepy/tired warehouse lad forgets to secure trolleys/pallets and they moving on they own inside the trailer. And I would be the one found with overturned trailer and unit on some roundabout with someone under it!

this is from vosa own enforcement matrix document

The following vehicle body types should be assessed for load security:
Flatbeds, curtain‐siders, lowloaders, skip lorries, car transporters, bulk tippers

The following vehicle body types do not need to be assessed for load security unless there is reason for concern:
Box‐siders, refrigerated trailers, containers transported on vehicles fitted with twist locks, tilts, live animal transporters

Did the trailer have a TIR cord which surrounds the trailer with eyelets on the end to put a seal.?
Or the the trailer only had seals just in the corners for the pole release handles and on the rear doors?
Another option is a throw away/digital or mobile phone camera to take before and after photos.
One with the original seal,and the contents of the trailer.
Second photo with new seal on it.And no damage to the load.
Illegal immigrants get in trailers by resealing the seal with super glue so the driver assumes the seal is intact until he gets to Check point Charlie and they find the entire population of Kabul and Hellmand Province having a party in the trailer on a one way trip to Good Old Blighty.
Land of the free hand outs.If the load is food and drink,you will find empty pallets,unless they burnt the pallets to make a fire to cook what was in the trailer.

Zanfta:
I would’t take such a trailer out!
Who knows. Some sleepy/tired warehouse lad forgets to secure trolleys/pallets and they moving on they own inside the trailer. And I would be the one found with overturned trailer and unit on some roundabout with someone under it!

Spot on… Can you really trust someone else to have taken care to load it safely. How would you feel if someone was killed due to your load being insecure and falling out the side. It’s your licence, job and life should it all go wrong. I’d check it for sure.

If they have ‘concerns’ for safety they will ask you to open the vehicle. If you can’t because of seals etc or refuse they will simply prohibit all further use until their concerns are answered. Likely you would need to contact the boss and arrangements made to break the seals.

This may involve immobilisation of the vehicle but will definitely be a PG9.

Usually as long as the curtains aren’t bulging or the vehicle clearly affected by the load etc then why would they want to look? There again a curtain sider is on their list of vehicles to be assessed.

Some of the comments posted about a sleepy warehouse man etc etc and whether a driver should check it before he takes it are quite right