vosa questions

this week one of our drivers was stopped at beattock checkpoint.he was asked if he was using digital or analouge tacho.when he replied analouge they told him to carry on his journey and let him go,without checking anything??.
any reason why this happened?
also,during a recent discussion,the question about infringments on digi tachos cropped up.now,on the old tacho cards if you went over your time,you wrote an explanation on the rear of the card.
as far as im aware,our last directive(ages ago)from our company told us on digi tachos,to print out at the end of every shift(obviously writing on the rear of the printout any infringments)and send them to the office at the end of every week,as there is no law to keep printouts for 28 days,as it is stored on your card,or in the tacho head.we were further told to download our cards at various location points,every 14 days.
so,if i say,go over by 15 minutes driving for example one day,do my printout etc,send it to office etc.what do i say to vosa if i get pulled and questioned on the offence?.i cant prove it on the spot that i wrote and acknowledged an infringment?.
i think it may be better to keep printouts also for 29 days before sending into office.
could you offer guidance here please,to second point.

buck73:
this week one of our drivers was stopped at beattock checkpoint.he was asked if he was using digital or analouge tacho.when he replied analouge they told him to carry on his journey and let him go,without checking anything??.
any reason why this happened?
also,during a recent discussion,the question about infringments on digi tachos cropped up.now,on the old tacho cards if you went over your time,you wrote an explanation on the rear of the card.
as far as im aware,our last directive(ages ago)from our company told us on digi tachos,to print out at the end of every shift(obviously writing on the rear of the printout any infringments)and send them to the office at the end of every week,as there is no law to keep printouts for 28 days,as it is stored on your card,or in the tacho head.we were further told to download our cards at various location points,every 14 days.
so,if i say,go over by 15 minutes driving for example one day,do my printout etc,send it to office etc.what do i say to vosa if i get pulled and questioned on the offence?.**i cant prove it on the spot that i wrote and acknowledged an infringment?.**i think it may be better to keep printouts also for 29 days before sending into office.
could you offer guidance here please,to second point.

Hi buck73

can’t help with the first bit but the bit in bold take get a printout as you said and get an other send one to office and keep one for road side checks if needed.

you can print out your days work at the end of each shift if you need to, as many times as you like as long as you have paper to do it.

You’re company are asking you to send in printouts every week however you should realise that your legal obligation is to carry any required printouts for a minimum of 28 days in case you get stopped
This is the over riding requirement so as already said you should do a printout for your company but should also keep any required printouts with you for the 28 days, in other words when you need to do a manual entry on a printout do 2 and keep one with you for the 28 days.

tachograph:
You’re company are asking you to send in printouts every week however you should realise that your legal obligation is to carry any required printouts for a minimum of 28 days in case you get stopped
This is the over riding requirement so as already said you should do a printout for your company but should also keep any required printouts with you for the 28 days, in other words when you need to do a manual entry on a printout do 2 and keep one with you for the 28 days.

thats great chaps,thanks for the info,the only way around the problem i could see,was to keep printouts for 28 days.i shall inform our office on monday,to memo the drivers.could i ask,when did the law come in,requiring you to keep 28 days worth of printouts,or has it always been the case?.

You don’t have to carry any printouts unless you’ve had to make a manual entry on one and then only the printout with the manual entry needs to be carried with you, as you use a digital tachograph you would normally need to carry with you your driver card and any printouts with manual entries on them :wink:

You only need to make a printout of your days activities if you need to make manual entries on the back.

To be honest it seems a bit pointless your company requiring you to do printouts for days when you don’t make manual entries on them, but if they’re happy to pay for the printing paper that’s up to them.

The precise requirement is for you to be able to produce your driver card if you have one and any legally required charts/printouts for the current day and the previous 28 days.

This came in on 1st January 2008, before that you had to carry records for the current week plus the previous 15 days.

Page 34 - Drivers hours and tachograph rules

thanks for that information tachograph,it is really helpful,im suprised by the things im learning on here,and i thought i knew it all lol.
just trying to keep it right.
when digi tachos first came out,our company consulted rha,and they advised that although non endorsable printouts dont have to be taken,we were advised to do it,to go one step further.yes,they pay supply all printout paper,so no probs there.
one day,i will be perfect,or as near as ■■■■ it. :smiley:

buck73:
when digi tachos first came out,our company consulted rha,and they advised that although non endorsable printouts dont have to be taken,we were advised to do it,

I wonder if that daft advice is anything to do with the fact the RHA sell digi tacho rolls in their hauliers shop? Surely they wouldn’t want companies to use far more paper than is necessary, would they? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: