VOSA; power to stop?

As a (supposedly) professional driver I know full well that Vosa personnel can stop me in the lawful execution of their jobs. My question though is; can Vosa stop non commercial vehicles too?

I ask because about a year ago a Vosa vehicle indicated for me to stop whilst I was driving my own personal Merc Sprinter. On that occasion I ignored them and refused to stop. I realise that such a van could (quite rightly) be construed as being a commercial vehicle and thus fall into their remit.

I wondered if anyone would stop in their private cars or motorcycles for these people, after all unless you were a so called professional driver you would have no reason to know who these people were, and could possibly think they were n’er do wells attempting to steal your vehicle or worse.

Discuss…

the maoster:
n Vosa stop non commercial vehicles too?

YES

VOSA is not limited to commercials

ROG:

the maoster:

YES

Well knock me down with a feather! You see Rog I have a problem with that. Not your answer of course, I have no doubt that your reply is 100% correct. However, I know that “ignorance of the law is no defence” but is it actually written down (ie The Highway Code) anywhere for “normal” motorists to read? If not then I’m sure you can appreciate the alarm Old Mrs Smith would feel if a vehicle with flashing ORANGE lights with two burly guys in tried to stop her. After all the media are constantly printing stories about hijackings/carjackings etc.

Often see VOSA at the side of the road pulling in cars etc BUT not pulling in cars etc by use of the VOSA vehicle as the speeds involved in most instances would require the VOSA driver to exceed the speed limits which is not allowed - the police are normally used for this in joint ops

One instance which it might be done is where a car emitting high volumes of smoke from the exhaust and doing 40 mph for instance on a dual would be targetted and pulled in by a VOSA vehicle

the maoster:
… I know that “ignorance of the law is no defence” but is it actually written down (ie The Highway Code) anywhere for “normal” motorists to read?

• Section 163 Road Traffic Act 1988, amended by the Police Reform Act 2002

ROG:

the maoster:

YES

They pull motorhomes as well and check axle weights etc

southcoastsurfer:

the maoster:
… I know that “ignorance of the law is no defence” but is it actually written down (ie The Highway Code) anywhere for “normal” motorists to read?

See, that’s what I like about this site; seek and ye shall find.

Scenario:

You get tugged for routine by VOSA while on your way for the weekly shop with wife and kids, you have your digi tacho card on you in your wallet but don’t have your paper charts as they are in your work bag.

Would they give you a ‘producer’ or something :question: :question:

When VOSA are doing cars theres usually police about to help them. They kind of do a big spot check on mass. Well that what it looked like to me oneday on the fossway!

Cruise Control:
Scenario:

You get tugged for routine by VOSA while on your way for the weekly shop with wife and kids, you have your digi tacho card on you in your wallet but don’t have your paper charts as they are in your work bag.

Are you are in your car when going to the shop ?

Cruise Control:
Scenario:

VOSA do not turn you over in the supermarket carpark and go through your wallet, If you were in a car, your digital card would not even be looked at, if you were in a truck, then why is the card in your wallet? :stuck_out_tongue:

VOSA do regulate all the MOT stations though for trucks, cars and motorcycles

Wheel Nut:

Cruise Control:
Scenario:

VOSA do not turn you over in the supermarket carpark and go through your wallet, If you were in a car, your digital card would not even be looked at, if you were in a truck, then why is the card in your wallet? :stuck_out_tongue:

VOSA do regulate all the MOT stations though for trucks, cars and motorcycles

most common reason for vosa stoping a private motor vehicle would imho in conjuction with customs and excise or whatever its called these days for a fuel check I.E no cherry in the tank
and in Cruise Controls Scenario yes vosa do have the right to ask for paper charts aswell and can give u a fixed penalty for not produceing them but whether they would or not i dont know

the maoster:
My question though is; can Vosa stop non commercial vehicles too?

Here’s a non-commercial grumble HERE (Landy) and HERE

Now what’s the score in Scotland at present? Have they handed down power to VOSA yet or do they still need the polis to tug you first?

macplaxton:

the maoster:
My question though is; can Vosa stop non commercial vehicles too?

Here’s a non-commercial grumble HERE (Landy) and HERE

Now what’s the score in Scotland at present? Have they handed down power to VOSA yet or do they still need the polis to tug you first?

as far as i know macplaxton and unless its changed since we spoke to vosa this afternoon vosa still need the polis to hold their hand here in scotland but can approach u if ur parked and not just meerly stationary as was happening early on

Thank you farmer, like to try and keep up with these things whilst I’m absent :wink:

southcoastsurfer:

the maoster:

It’s not strictly true that VOSA (and/or others) have carte blanche to stop vehicles.

Sect 163 is the bit that gives a “constable in uniform” the authority to stop a vehicle. So they do have carte blanche.

The Police Reform Act removes this . . . . . . from the requirement.

(3)
A vehicle shall not be required to stop for a test except by a constable in uniform.

Of course - in the real world - it does suggest a certain carte blanche as there is no requirement under Sect 67 for there to be “any given valid reason”

I bet there is an ammendment to the road traffic act which allows VOSA to do these stops but I am no good at looking for them :blush:

THIS MAY HELP

ROG:
I bet there is an ammendment to the road traffic act which allows VOSA to do these stops but I am no good at looking for them :blush:

THIS MAY HELP

Not really ROG. That’s about HATOs and the Traffic Management Act.

I don’t think VOSA have a “traffic management” remit (Although, I still have more reading to do :wink: ) There’s is more a licensing, testing and enforcement enforcement role (of vehicles and vehicle operators)

If I get time/chance, I’ll write a brief(ish) synopsis of my earlier post regarding Sect 163 and Sect 67 and The Secretary of State’s authority to accredit under Schedule 5 (Powers exercisable by accredited persons) of the Police Reform Act, certain people to do certain things that without such accreditation, they wouldn’t be able/allowed so to do.

Or . . . . . . . . . . . .

The next time you speak/correspond with someone at VOSA, ask him under which authority he has the “power to stop”

:wink:

farmer:
as far as i know macplaxton and unless its changed since we spoke to vosa this afternoon vosa still need the polis to hold their hand here in scotland but can approach u if ur parked and not just meerly stationary as was happening early on

thought that was strange farmer.got pulled off vosa on the 68 just outside pathead on friday.there was a polis standing in the middle of the road directing hgv"s into a layby and a polis at the other end doing the same,the layby did have a few vosa vehicles in it.ive also noticed polis cars riding round the edinburgh city by pass with 2 vosas in the back,the plod do the pulling vosa do the checking,and also southbound at ayton gay by its always plod directing you in.