VOSA plate on trailers

How long is the grace period on the VOSA plate? That is the plate that has a VIN number, axles weights and date of manufacture etc. The question refers only to new trailers, not lost plates

As long as it’s there for its 1st MOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damoq:

That was unexpected but reassuring. Thanks

scanny77:

damoq:

That was unexpected but reassuring. Thanks

We had a new 18t at our place and it’s regular driver asked the same question about the VOSA plate and workshop foreman says as long as it’s there for its first test. I assume the same applies to trailers.

DEPENDS want require one until it’s first MOT as said but the company can request one for it.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I checked with our (third party) chief mechanic and a brand new trailer can run for 13 months without an MOT. The ministry plate thing is a grey area but can be requested. The problem we have is that the trailers are owned, leased and leased again so it could take a while before the ministry plate reaches the end user (us).

It is or was required 1st test and plating cert before the end of the following year, buy a new trailer Feb 2010, it could be as late as December 2011 22/3 months because only year of manufacture is stamped on the trailer ID plate.

Many of the big manufacturers have applied for the plate before delivery (the likes of SDC, Schmitz, Krone, etc)
If not applied before first test, you could run in problems as not knwn to the DVSA.
As long as you can proof that you (or your company) have applied for the plate, than there is a lot of leeway.
For a driver not really a problem, as long as you mention it on your daily checksheet, that ministry plate and MOT disc are missing.