VOSA Checks

In the past week, I’ve had two checks.
The first was last Saturday on my way up for home. Just north of Birmingham a police rangey pulled over after passing me and flashed up the ‘Follow Me’ sign. Into the works area we went. My tacho’s where checked, all was OK except for a small blunder I had made, but he was happy with my explanation. Then I was weighed, then a vehicle check. The inspector found that my ABS1 warning light was on, and wanted to go for a test drive, to see if it went out. I volunteered the info that it wouldn’t till you brake. So I got a delayed PG9 for the trailer. After about one and a half hours in total, I was on my way again.

This morning (Saturday), I was in Hawick. I had parked there overnight, ready for a delivery at 8:30. Due to a jammed curtain pole, I had to drive past my delivery point, turn round and come back to it. You park on the edge of the road and open the side, they forklift it straight off. Then I had to turn round again to head for home, so went back into the parking area (a few hundred yards) to turn round. The market was on and there were two police officers checking the traders vehicles for the usual stuff. I was asked to park up while they sent someone to check my charts. The VOSA where also on site with a plain van. I handed over all this weeks charts and last Saturdays. After about 15 mins the VOSA man came back with my charts. He asked me what my plans for today were. Up to Kirkcaldy then home, I said. Yes he says, you are due a W/E break. Then he dropped his clanger, starting at 6’o’clock this morning. I’m giving it :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: . So he shows me my charts starting with last Saurdays. 28th 29th 30th 1st 2nd 3rd is 6 charts --------and todays :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :confused: :confused: Then I told him about the check last week, which has a signature, timed and dated on the back of the chart I had dated 28th. So you did and there is the date, the 27th, thats a bit of luck for you driver he said. You had better put your excuses on the back and get off home quick.

So I did. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: RESULT :sunglasses: Maybe these VOSA checks, etc aren’t so bad after all.

Simon:
So I did. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: RESULT :sunglasses: Maybe these VOSA checks, etc aren’t so bad after all.

May be but it has to be the right guy in the right frame of mind. Got dragged in at Ashley Heath many years ago, was still a bit wet behind the ears at the time {that’l be last new year then :laughing: }. Anyway had been in big hold up on M25 on the way round from Tilbury going to Poole, had 4.30 on the clock by the time i got going over the heath land before Ringwood, so pulled up for the 45 as required. When the bloke at the check point see’s my card he commented about the delayes shown, told him about it and that i’d got grief on the phone because i was seriously late now. He said that i could’ve kept going as it was obvious what had happened i thanked him for the advice, and as every thing else was in order i went on my way. Anyway at one point when i was in another check point some where, i was chatting to the ministry guy about this occasion, and he said that had he been there and i had’nt had the 45 on the heath a bit earlier, he would’ve cautioned me to look in to taking further action against me, because i had past numerous suitable rest areas, porved by the fact that i had actualy used one, and that you can only run over your time to get to a suitable rest area. So which one was right and without consistency you have to take the cautious approach.
So i’m going to reserve my judgement on them, carry on treating them a great deal of suspicion.

I’ve never had any problems with any of them, I can get a little fed up with the messing about & can make it known, but I’ve never had a problem.
I once got pulled in a rental truck about half a mile from base, the piglet on the road was less than friendly when I tried to tell him something so in I go. Following the check I’m told my vehicle has problems & it’s an immediate Prohibition.
I explained I knew this & did try to tell the thick ■■■■ on the road & did try to show him my paperwork to prove the vehicle was on it’s way in to have the problem fixed, & that it had been picked up in a roadside check that morning & that the VI had given us authority to move it without a trailer for repair, which is what I was doing, & that I was sorry for wasting his time but unless they get a piglet with at least half a brain cell this is what happens as I was told “no chatting driver just do as you are told, I’ve heard it all before, so keep your mouth shut & get in there now.”
Piglet gets a call on the radio & asked to explain himself & told to use his brains in future, I get an apology & sent on my happy way, no problems.

theyve been busy boys this week havent they. wonder if theres some kind of purge on? they were on tibshelf services twice last week and also on both gates into seaforth docks in liverpool.

i bet them 10quid they would not get you jb :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: