VOSA checks in Private property

Surely you can only be prosecuted for vehicle defects whilst on the public highway,you only commit the offence when you drive out of the yard.So if for instance,a dodgy tyre is found and you are informed about it,as long as you don’t drive off you haven’t committed an offence.The same defence would be no good for Tacho infringements.I suppose that by allowing VOSA on their premises,these companies are expecting an easy ride from them in the future.

I can just picture the scene at tesco’s now.

You’ve got a pg9

Ok

park up over there until its fixed

Oh no, if you’ve given me a pg9, this truck doesn’t leave the bay until its fixed :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

you are all saying vosa cannot go on private land to check motor ,but the thng you are all forgetting is the been doing it for years ,they always pull you into a service area, to my knowledge these are private areas if they are not why do we have to pay to park as this would make them public places.

paulfromwire:
A mate of mine was at Iceland Livingston & VOSA were round checking on what modes’ drivers were on whilst tipping.

they have done that before at lidl and netto, the type of places where you have to pump stuff off yourself. obviously they know this and wait around the corner to check if the tachos been on bed or work for the duration. the former = trouble.

Mike-C:
To the best of my knowledge not one tug was pulled whilst pulling trailers along with no lights or lenses on, but plenty of trucks where pulled that came off the same boats with all the lights working !!

Provided the tugs are working within the confines of the docks i.e. on private proerty, they are not subject to the Road Vehicle LIghting Regulations and therefore no fines or restrictions can be applied. However, vehicles coming off the ferry are road-borne and therefore subject to scrutiny.

They were in Asda,Falkirk yesterday morning.Two of them in a silver Vauxhall estate car.Also saw them a few weeks ago on a Saturday afternoon on Royston Rd in Livingston,checking a couple of E.Europeans parked up there.This time they were in a green Skoda estate.

Might be slightly of topic ,coaches and buses get scrutinised at private venues E.G. parked up at football or flower shows that sort of thing.Have exchanged peasentries with them at Ingliston and the Safari park ona few occassions.

leyland510:

Mike-C:
To the best of my knowledge not one tug was pulled whilst pulling trailers along with no lights or lenses on, but plenty of trucks where pulled that came off the same boats with all the lights working !!

Provided the tugs are working within the confines of the docks i.e. on private proerty, they are not subject to the Road Vehicle LIghting Regulations and therefore no fines or restrictions can be applied. However, vehicles coming off the ferry are road-borne and therefore subject to scrutiny.

The tugs operate on the same roadways the general public drive along. If you drove where they drove with no lights the dock police would prosecute you. The roads within the docks are subject to the road traffic act and is well documented as such.

Mike-C:

leyland510:

Mike-C:

The tugs operate on the same roadways the general public drive along. If you drove where they drove with no lights the dock police would prosecute you. The roads within the docks are subject to the road traffic act and is well documented as such.

and some of them tug drivers are nuts, they are always peddle to the metal everywhere they go

According to the latest on the state of our economy we’re bust, and about 30% of civil servants will be out of a job after the next election.Since this will include members of Vosa might I suggest,since I know some view this site,they avoid the rush and get themselves down the job centre now instead of trying to justify their existence running round harassing those of us already in a job and working our butts off just to survive.Your too late Vosa and raking in the money now won’t save you,you are in my opinion surplus to requirements and should be drastically cut.And we certainly don’t need,what is it,10 traffic commisioners plus deputies and other hangers on.I am quite sure we could re employ senior drivers in all those positions of authority at a fraction of the cost.A Traffic Commisioner gets £80 grand a year any driver fancy it for £40k,might even try it myself.

alf apsey:
you are all saying vosa cannot go on private land to check motor ,but the thng you are all forgetting is the been doing it for years ,they always pull you into a service area, to my knowledge these are private areas if they are not why do we have to pay to park as this would make them public places.

yes but they will have prior permission from the manager of the site before they started

alf apsey:
you are all saying vosa cannot go on private land to check motor

No, they’re saying VOSA are going onto private property.

alf apsey:
,but the thng you are all forgetting is the been doing it for years ,they always pull you into a service area, to my knowledge these are private areas if they are not why do we have to pay to park as this would make them public places.

They’re public places, the public go there.

bloody cheek. if they weren’t wearning hi viz jackets i would assume they were ■■■■■■ stealing deisel and slit their throats :smiley:

Im’e 67 and thankfully retired If I had have had to put up with the ■■■■ you boys put up with these days I would have surrendered my class 1 years ago. I have just had notice to have my annual medical for my licence, this post as just convinced me not to bother.
The next thing you know vosa will be coming into your houses to check records. Thank god I am out of what was once a great job. :cry: :cry: :imp: :imp:

rocky 7:
Im’e 67 and thankfully retired If I had have had to put up with the [zb] you boys put up with these days I would have surrendered my class 1 years ago. I have just had notice to have my annual medical for my licence, this post as just convinced me not to bother.
The next thing you know vosa will be coming into your houses to check records. Thank god I am out of what was once a great job. :cry: :cry: :imp: :imp:

you echo my sentiments rocky.
i am 10 yrs youger than you but have the same thoughts in my mind,i have another few years to go with my BIG LORRY LICENSE.
i dont like calling it lgv crap.
also this silly drivers cpc,we would get lectured by someone who was probably office trained and half our age.
i wouldnt mind getting educated by someone who knew more than me,even if they were younger and had been over the mountains.
this cpc is the greatest load of bollo i ever have seen and its going to cost as well.

Sorry everyone i have been off sick for the past 18 months and was thinking of going back behind the wheel only problem is all i keep hearing from my pals and i have just read on here is vosa this and vosa that has it really got that bad out there in 18 months.
Also if vosa go in to ASDA.TESCO. or any rdc or private area should they not have to check there vehicles as well as contractors otherwise i thought that they where not allowed in.

Keep hearing the same, however in 31 years i have been stopped once for a check at Sleaford and had no problem ( that was in 1981 )

I can’t see the issue if your running straight and unless the VOSA have recruited thousands upon thousands of staff it will likely be another 30 years before my next pull !!!

I can’t see the issue if your running straight and unless the VOSA have recruited thousands upon thousands of staff it will likely be another 30 years before my next pull !!!
[/quote]
Verry few drivers actually run “BENT”, but circumstances sometimes make you run over your time. It as been in my experience that driving a truck alone is hard enough these edays without having to write on the back of tacho’s every time you run into things like hold ups through accidents,etc.I remember the days when Plod would walk round your trailer to give you time to make your log sheet out, days when we were respected as professionals and not spoken down to like the modern Plod.

Because, like the police. they want to relieve you of money. Legal mugging by the police state.

DoYouMeanMe?:
Scotstrucker
Only if you knew who he was.
If I walked back to my truck and saw a pair of legs sticking out from underneath, it would be an open invitation to his groin to feel my size 12’s. I’m all for having trucks roadworthy and safe, but I really think that too many people are being given too much power against the ones who play the game properly.

By that I mean that you shouldn’t be able to tax a truck unless you have an O licence or some class of exemption (Hire company, etc).
Maybe trucks from Southern Ireland shouldn’t be allowed to work full-time in the UK with absolutely no control on hours, some with no maintenance for 18 months (not hear-say. I actually went to buy them and I have never seen trucks so bad even as shunters).
Simple thing like this would get rid of some of the most dangerous vehicles on the road and then start on the rest, but surely, they should get rid of the real cowboys first.

Just for the record, The vast majority of outfits in southern Ireland run legit. I know of one UK company (well a few actually) from Heysham that registered his fleet over here because he kept getting into trouble with vosa i.e. poor maintenance, tacho infringements, overloading etc. etc. So maybe these southern registered hauliers with poor maintenance records, are actually UK companies running out of Ireland. Maybe hauliers from the Uk shouldn’t be allowed to register their dodgy trucks in Ireland and then head over to the UK and work full time with absolutely no control on hours. Wake up lads and smell the coffee. You only have to read any of the trucking magazines to see the amount of UK truckers getting done by the law for poor maintenance records, tacho infringements, overloading, the list goes on and on. So get your ‘own house’ in order first before you start complaining about anyone else.