Vosa and police

How easy is it as a truck driver to pick up fines and points■■?

Do your vehicle walkaround checks right, stick to speed limits, understand driving time and wtd, what else can you do to be left alone by police and vosa.

Is it possible to have a long career as a driver and keep a clean sheet■■?

Work for reputable companies that are not on their radar!
Other than that a bit of luck probably on whether you get stopped.
I’ve been stopped twice in a year, yet know someone else who hasn’t had a stop in 7 years…

But as long as you are diligent about your checks and obey the law, you probably should be fine!

I’ve been stopped a total of 4 times in 37yrs

Once in 7 years for me

I’ve been stopped 4 times in 2 years, I’m either unlucky or look dodgy. Luckily though I’ve never had a problem apart from the bad attitude of one woman at Preston.

For info - VOSA is now DVSA

if you work for Dhl,you’ll have more hassle from some clueless spotty faced bell-end in the office than Vosa and the Police combined :imp:

If you stopped, remain polite and calm, if you kick off and swear at them, expect to be held up for much longer.
By speaking several languages, when I was stopped, they were surprised I could converse with them, and just said, go, have a good day , when driving in Europe .
Got the full blown works by a French ministry man, all adr checked, due to snow I had driven over hours.
I had written on the back of the tacho the reason, he just did a quick glance, didn’t bat an eyelid, I wrote it in French .
Most European law enforcement speak very good English .
I used to take the mickey out of their polictical leaders, and they would do the same back, Grand Nez Sarko or big nose Sarkozy ,all in good fun.

they work off a traffic light system, which depends on your OCRS score. So if your company has a crap score and they are on red, you WILL get pulled every time they see you on the road. Amber depends on how busy they are and if it’s green, you will usually only get pulled if they’re quiet or have some special project on the go and your truck fits the bill

As above DVSA have the traffic light system which means if your green you will most likely never be stopped. The police however don’t use that system and usually its something they have seen, or information they have. Indicators of overloading, road worthiness, operators licence not visible, trailer plates not matching the tractor unit etc.

Certain companies, mostly outside the UK encourage/force drivers to drive over their hours and compromise on rest periods. Those companies when fined have to pay on the spot fines usually £600/900 and are paid on the company credit card before the vehicle is released. (Infringements are examined for the last 28 days). They can also be immobilised for a weekly rest 45 hrs if really bad.

In short if you work for a UK company, who run new newish truck & trailers, don’t appear on non-compliance lists and any infringements are minutes, your not going to get a hard time. :stuck_out_tongue:

chizz:
As above DVSA have the traffic light system which means if your green you will most likely never be stopped.

As already said, it can depend on whether they want to stop a mix of vehicles and are short in a certain group…
Both my stops were ADR checks and I’m sure those orange plates are DVSA magnets! :laughing:

I have been stopped once. U.K. Driver infront of me and two foreign behind me. Me and the front truck got the quick walk around and told to go while the two foreign got pulled into bays. Happy days