VOR?

dcgpx:
I took a trailer out last night that had come in with a rear mudguard all broken up. As some point someone had caught flap reversing and pulled the lot into wheel.

I could have defected it and refused to move until a new mudguard fitted.

But seeing as it was 1am, not raining and not forecast to rain, distance I’m taking it was only 10miles so bit of common sense - I took whole thing off!!

I’ll pick it back up on way in later and get it to workshop VOR

No doubt some will chastise for taking it out but to me it was low risk.

Some things are deffo no no but a lot can be risk assessed and common sense applied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But will you now get the blame for breaking it?

IMO, any employed driver would do well to note and point out all damage to any company vehicle before taking it on the road: otherwise you might get the blame for it .

Just defect it, and carry on.
Ars# covered, not your problems.

GasGas:

dcgpx:
I took a trailer out last night that had come in with a rear mudguard all broken up. As some point someone had caught flap reversing and pulled the lot into wheel.

I could have defected it and refused to move until a new mudguard fitted.

But seeing as it was 1am, not raining and not forecast to rain, distance I’m taking it was only 10miles so bit of common sense - I took whole thing off!!

I’ll pick it back up on way in later and get it to workshop VOR

No doubt some will chastise for taking it out but to me it was low risk.

Some things are deffo no no but a lot can be risk assessed and common sense applied.

But will you now get the blame for breaking it?

IMO, any employed driver would do well to note and point out all damage to any company vehicle before taking it on the road: otherwise you might get the blame for it .

Fully advised transport office that’s what I was doing so covered but as you say as long as you don’t do it without telling them they can’t say you did it!

Note - I advised them ! If you ask then it’s OMG what do we do for some of them! [emoji33]

I just tell them what I’m doing and why etc so they normally go along.

Like I said if it’s not a stupid defect then I’ll assess and make a judgement based on my comfort not company’s

Too much dumbing down, bring back old days when you did what needed to as long as safe and it generally was.

Despair as times - can’t fit a bulb ffs at some places - jeez!

Markk80:
Any reason is good to VOR shi**y MAN

Typical ‘‘New driver been spoiled from the start’’ attitude. :unamused:
As someone said previously,… you should see some of the crap we had to drive once over, when we had to actually progress upwards to something that did not come anywhere near the standard of the MAN and it’s level of driver comfort.
Don’t know your born mate. :smiley:

robroy:

Markk80:

As someone said previously,… you should see some of the crap we had to drive once over, when we had to actually progress upwards to something that did not come anywhere near the standard of the MAN and it’s level of driver comfort.

Heh-heh, I think he’d crap himself if he saw what we used to drive around which would been seen as “normal”. I remember once scratting around the lockers in my cab for a nut and bolt because one in the gear linkage had broken on a Renault Major I used to drive. Found a roofing bolt and a nut that kind of fitted on it and did the roadside repair. It was still doing the job a year later when I left and I don’t think it ever got changed. Once drove a Leyland Roadtrain that used to get so much water in the air system your hand got wet when you moved the range change button.

And if you were doing trailers off the ferry…jesus you got used to bodging those up real quick. Standard state to get pulled off the ship was with not a single light lense or bulb and no leg handle.

robroy:

onyerbike:
A lot of the big companies hand out disciplinary’s like confetti, one wrong move and you find yourself on the end of an investigation, disciplinary and warnings.

Answer to that is…
Don’t take them seriously, it only encourages those type of up their own arses firms, run by pricks.
What’s the worst that can happen?
They sack you.
So why would you give a [zb], there are plenty jobs about, and who in their right mind wants to work for a firm where you are treated like a naughty school kid anyway?.

+1

robroy:

Markk80:

I think the OP was trying to back pedal when the thread didn’t go in the direction he thought it would. Personally I’d report the crack in the lens, but I can’t see a reason not to drive it, (well except it’s an MAN :laughing: )

My company asked me to take a vehicle out…i said : I aint taking that out, its only got 3 wheels `…they said its a scarab… its supposed to have 3 wheels. :smiley: :smiley:

robroy:

onyerbike:
A lot of the big companies hand out disciplinary’s like confetti, one wrong move and you find yourself on the end of an investigation, disciplinary and warnings.

Answer to that is…
Don’t take them seriously, it only encourages those type of up their own arses firms, run by pricks.
What’s the worst that can happen?
They sack you.
So why would you give a [zb], there are plenty jobs about, and who in their right mind wants to work for a firm where you are treated like a naughty school kid anyway?.

Tell me about it, more than one way to skin a cat…last time someone moaned about me doing a defect I said fine, I won’t defect anything again, you’ll just get late loads and tranships and walked out…soon changed their tune!
:smiling_face:

muckles:

robroy:

Markk80:

I think the OP was trying to back pedal when the thread didn’t go in the direction he thought it would. Personally I’d report the crack in the lens, but I can’t see a reason not to drive it, (well except it’s an MAN [emoji38] )

Thanks for that but I’m not trying to back pedal at all.
I asked for your opinions and I appreciate your feedback. I have never said I was right.
When I was doing my class 2 and 1 in 2014 I have found this forum very helpful and that’s why I asked for your opinions.
I might be “new” and “spoiled” driver but don’t see any harm in this.
Once again anything is better than MAN IMO.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Just an observation… why is it that companies insist you report the slightest defect as a matter of priority, discipline you should you fail to do so, yet insist that you take a defective vehicle down the road if there’s a line-stopper to be done and threaten to discipline you again should you refuse?

Honked:
FFS I think I need to be paid a gazillion pound an hour based on the fact I will drive anything with a radio and a heater.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Believe it or not but I have seen drivers at my place trying to VOR truck because radio wasn’t working.
BTW I would try to do the same if it was MAN…
Any reason is good to VOR a shi**y MAN I like to say.

Sidevalve:
Just an observation… why is it that companies insist you report the slightest defect as a matter of priority, discipline you should you fail to do so, yet insist that you take a defective vehicle down the road if there’s a line-stopper to be done and threaten to discipline you again should you refuse?

Should this happen in future just ask the head honcho to put his request that you drive a vehicle you consider to be unfit to be on the road, in writing. The silence will be deafening!

Markk80:
Office said it’s ok I said not taking it, thank you.
Other driver went out in this unit.
Light working fine, no sharp edges.
Night trunk only about 300 miles round trip.
Not sure myself if it’s legal but IMO a company with about 70 units in yard shoud have sort it out in no time. Instead of sending it out.

Ita a pity people are not as strict about terms and conditions and hours and wages as you are about a crack in a headlight

Because most in the business have a degree in sitting at a keyboard obeying every rule that some senior management makes up for the fun of it .
Very few have any working knowledge of any type of vehicle . Most vehicles are leased and the company will get large penalties for defects and damage .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Markk80:
Believe it or not but I have seen drivers at my place trying to VOR truck because radio wasn’t working.

Back in about 1999 I was assistant TM at Meacher’s, Derby. Trucks which needed servicing went down on the night trunk, serviced during the day at Nursling, back up following night; regular driver had a day trip scheduled in the spare motor, which was an old but perfectly serviceable and decent EC10.

Driver of truck in for service (bit of a fussy bugger) came into the office one morning whining that he wasn’t taking N49 out to do one hit in Manchester cos the radio was faulty. Unfortunately he caught me on a bad day.

“Radio not working■■? FFS when I was driving we used to fight over the wagon that had power steering! Now ■■■■ off to Manchester… and whistle instead!”

He went. But he wasn’t whistling.

Markk80:

Hate to say it but I believe it mate (sadly)
I’ve seen some of the sorry arsed f/whits who impersonate drivers these days. :unamused:

Btw…you are talking out of your arse about MANs, I’ve had the old style Roadhaus,.and the XXL cab doing Euro. Best cabs yet that I’ve had to live in, that is including the DAF Superspace and the ScaniaTopliner. :bulb:

What have you had to come up with your opinion exactly?

Sidevalve:

Markk80:

Back in about 1999 I was assistant TM at Meacher’s, Derby. Trucks which needed servicing went down on the night trunk, serviced during the day at Nursling, back up following night; regular driver had a day trip scheduled in the spare motor, which was an old but perfectly serviceable and decent EC10.

Driver of truck in for service (bit of a fussy bugger) came into the office one morning whining that he wasn’t taking N49 out to do one hit in Manchester cos the radio was faulty. Unfortunately he caught me on a bad day.

“Radio not working■■? FFS when I was driving we used to fight over the wagon that had power steering! Now [zb] off to Manchester… and whistle instead!”

He went. But he wasn’t whistling.

No doubt you also whined like ■■■■ if a day’s income was lost due to being stuck in traffic that a simple 50 quid fix and an hour getting it done would have prevented?

robroy:

Markk80:

Hate to say it but I believe it mate (sadly)
I’ve seen some of the sorry arsed f/whits who impersonate drivers these days. :unamused:

Btw…you are talking out of your arse about MANs, I’ve had the old style Roadhaus,.and the XXL cab doing Euro. Best cabs yet that I’ve had to live in, that is including the DAF Superspace and the ScaniaTopliner. :bulb:

What have you had to come up with your opinion exactly?

I think he is talking ■■■■ tbh.

But I also think he will fit in just fine at any blue chip company.

If the tail-lift ever gets stuck up with you on it, don’t call the fire brigade, FFS.