Volvos emergency brake

great idea but what happens if you on a bend/ icying weather??

Well then the ABS/ABD/ASR/AAA/ATW/AKW will kick in and save your bacon.

Harsh brake ! There goes my bonus :open_mouth:

Guy in the white Volvo car wasn’t taking any Chances he was off !
Think is a great idea . BUT think it will end up getting switched off with the amount of idiots cutting in while on the motorways !

Wagman:
Harsh brake ! There goes my bonus :open_mouth:

But it’s saved your accident bonus. :laughing:

I think it’s quite amazing how quick and how straight the truck pulled up.

Not to sure about so many driver aids, I can see how this could save lives, but I’m also not sure how it effects the Psychology
of the driver knowing he has all these things to drive the truck. I’ve read and watched a lot about Air Accident Investigations and some incidents have been caused by the crew being too reliant on the many cockpit systems.

Saying that I’m led to believe Volvo do a lot of investigation work on truck accidents, so they can work on developing better safety systems. I also remember reading that Volvo developed the 3 point harness (seat belt), but let all other vehicle manufactures use it for free.

And how many drivers when they have an accident will blame the truck and say it’s not their fault ■■? Even with all those driver aid and that is what they are ,the person behind the wheel is still in charge ,and if they see a situation developing take the appropriate action and not wait for the truck to take control

Fallmonk:
Guy in the white Volvo car wasn’t taking any Chances he was off !
Think is a great idea . BUT think it will end up getting switched off with the amount of idiots cutting in while on the motorways !

Agreed. Our Motorways are too crouded for gadgets like that, great idea but wont work in the UK :unamused: :slight_smile:

Truck brakes these days are scarily good at times… 40 tonne and I bet a lot of cars wouldn’t pull up a lot quicker!

I love Volvo… :blush:

Great idea in principle, BUT, what happens when you have a line of trucks behind you all following much too close as is so often the case + 1 overtaking who is one of those drivers who likes to remove your wiper blades with back of his trailer as he returns to lane 1?

Always thought the “driver” was supposed to press the brake pedal?

Is it not more of a last resort, when all else fails device?

Driver fails to notice stationary/slow moving traffic ahead - doesn’t touch the brakes.

Driver still fails to notice stationary traffic - red light and buzzer sounds for about 4 seconds in the vid.

Driver still does nothing - emergency brakes engage.

Hopefully you’d notice at stage 1 or 2 and brake yourself.

At a busy junction were cars pull across 3 lanes and cut you up to get off the junction you are passing this thing would be going nuts beeping and braking on and off on and off :LOL:

Seriously though, it’s good, if you fail to notice the warnings then seriously something wrong with you, as for the trucks behind, they shouldn’t be so close to the vehicle in front so as they can’t stop, should they !

I’m sure there is more to it then shown and I am sure that in developing that volvo have realised that trucks sometimes get cut up, I am sure the designers have in there life driven on a motorway, I think the system monitors continuously and responds to the gap to the vehicle infront closing rapidly, rather then just stopping when anything appears infornt, if a car cuts in from the side the system will probably discount it, I also belive if the driver makes some responce such as backing off or braking the system is dissabled, hence the beep to go him/her a chance