Volvo trucks on tour

Volvo has currenctly road tour going around Finland to promote their new model range, and especially new 60+ tonnes rated I-Shift. They are/were at Tampere this weekend and I went there to testdrive some of their new engines.

Overview of the Volvo Trucks Tampere yard with some of tour trucks.

There were also some rigid vehicles. Here is very short wheelbase Renault Midl… err… Volvo FL with 230 horsepower engine and FM with 480 hp engine, more than enough for 38 tonnes :slight_smile: That FL seemed to be very interesting among visitors as there were almost all the time someone taking it to test drive.

There were also other version of Renault looking Volvo. This Volvo FE tipper had 320 hp version of unknown engine.

There were also hook lift tipper and couple artics available for a drive, but they didn’t attract as much interest than other vehicles. I didn’t see anyone going on drive with those artics :wink: Yellow artic had 4x2 axle configuration with 480 hp engine and green artic was either 6x4 or 6x2, but I didn’t look that close that I could say for certain.

From left to right, two 6x4 loggers, apparently 6x4 artic bulker and 6x2 general haulage truck coupled to dolly+semi-trailer. White logger had 13 litre engine, as can be seen from the front grille, with 530 horses and other three trucks have quite self-explanatory engines. I think Volvo is doing maybe little too much promotion for their new 16 litre engine as at least half of the trucks brought here had equipped with it, and only two were 580’s… I would have liked to test 400 or 440 version of 13 litre engine, but there wasn’t any such truck available.

I drove these two trucks, both equipped with I-Shift, and I must say that it was almost unbelievable how smooth gear changes were even when accelerating uphill while loaded to full 60 tonnes GVW. I also must say that that 660 hp engine had unbelievable amount of power and torque. I think that FH12 with 420 horses, which I’m quite familiar with, could have had same speed on top of one particular hill among the route that this truck had on top of it while fully loaded… :open_mouth:
Yellow one had 13 litre engine with 480 horses, which feeled to be more than that. Maybe increased torque could explain that feeling. This vehicle combination has superstructure made for carrying wood chips, peat and other that kind of loads.

After visiting there I was so impressed of FH16 that I had to buy one:

This one has one gear forward (at full revs), one gear backwards (at full revs) and of course neutral position. Steering has also three positions: a bit to left, straight or bit to right. It’s quite pain to drive this as it turns like it had a wheelbase of Volvo VN from other side of the pond. It also eats fuel quite much, I already almost consumed whole tank (one set of batteries) and it couldn’t have been driven more than 100 meter at tops :blush: :laughing:

Nice pictures, I think the FL looks like a bit of a wanabee though a bit like the 7.5t MAN with the massive windscreen.

New FE looks smart enough, but the 10 wheeler FM looks like it’ll want a bit of space to turn.

Looks like a good day yhough.

8wheels, that FM probably doesn’t need much, if any, more space to turn around than your Volvo. It has steering 5th axle so it basically turns just like 8x4 tipper with “huge” rear overhang (for a tipper).

THANKS kYBRO as all ways your posts are full of intresting photos
and facts, how are the SISU vehicles doing with their vehicles
are they selling better with the partnér ship of Renualt,and are the
■■■■■■■ motor and FULLERgearboxes still being fitted, they are
now on sale here in GERMANY as well down south in the bottom
part of germany,

Yes I can see the 5th Axle is a single now, hadn’t actually thought of that. Just assumed it was like a short chassis like this.

Which I am sure would need a huge amount of space.

pete, I can’t say if Sisu’s partnership with Renault has increased their sales, but it definately helped Sisu at mid-90’s when they got their own ageing cab replaced with Renault Premium cab. That partnership of course has created more opportunies for export, just like you said their trucks are now available even “down there” :stuck_out_tongue:

■■■■■■■ motors are still being used, and it’s available with Fuller gearbox. Two different Caterpillar engines are also available with Fuller, but (regrettably) you can only get Renault (or Volvo if you prefer to say so) engine fitted to Sisu only with synchro-box.

8wheels, “We’ve had bigger than that here” :wink: :laughing: (but it definately looks a bit awkward)

We’ve had bigger than that in here

How many times have I heard that?

My usual response is “Do you want to try?”

Last year I delivered to a fairly new Detention Centre near Heathrow in an 18t DAF, the only way to get in was to run the front wheel over the landscaped border at the front. Once inside some bigwig was moaning cos the maintenance man was upset, I told him that he was welcome to have a go, to which his reply was rather stuffily “he probably would, he’s ex RAF”

Since when did that make the access wider.

What irked me was that the centre was only about 6 months old, and the DAF had a good steering lock. A centre holding several hundred people is going to need access for big vehicles, and the DAF wasn’t exactly massive.