Volvo manual 12-speed splitter

Even though I drive daily (in an auto), I’m posting here because I feel like I’m back to square one, learning all over again.

To cut a long story short, I’m driving a Volvo with a 12-speed splitter gearbox. I have no issue with the range change or the splitter switches it’s finding 2nd or 5th (the only rearward gear change besides reverse).

When I do find it first time it’s more down to luck than any competence on my part. It just seems so stiff! Anyone have any hints or tips to save me from my self humiliation?

Please! :blush:

Make sure you hold the side of the stick so that it has no choice but to go where you want it to go. Turn your left hand so the palm is facing away from you and you should find life easier.

Naturally, normal factors such as road speed need to be correct as well.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Let’s hope so Pete :slight_smile:

To me it feels like the gate is offset at a strange angle for me. A Merc ‘slap-over’ is a doddle compared to this. Let’s hope practice makes perfect and not a stripped shaft :frowning:

Like all things mechanical, wear and tear take their toll. Try to work with it rather than do battle with it.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I found today ( Cat C lessons with test tomorrow) that I stick my elbow out and was having very similar problems. My instructor ( after taking the ■■■■ about what it must be like round the table at mealtimes and my kids must get elbowed in the face etc) said keep your elbow in and also use my fingers to pull back on the gear stick instead of grabbing it. For me, this worked immediately.

Often its to do with revs. Do you use the splitters all the time. Trying to change too early and it can be like arm wrestling Rocky. Relax and feel the box

Don’t rush it, range changers hate being rushed. Also, use the age old fix of. “Can’t find it, grind it.”

Thanks for your help guys.

That’s two full days using it now and I’m happy with my progress. Still needs to fine tune 2nd and 5th but getting there :slight_smile:

What helped me greatly was sticking it gear then moving the stick left to right to feel out the size/shape of the gate. Do this for all the gates (there are only three on this twelve speed box: 1, 2, 3 gears in low range, 4, 5, 6 in high with the splitter giving you 1/2 gears throughout = twelve) and you can build up a mental image of where you are placing the stick during changes.

Like Adam27 mentioned, keep elbows in and also like has been mentioned, take it easy and don’t rush. However, that’s sometimes difficult when you are grossed out climbing a 1 in 5 and you need that next gear quickly otherwise you’ve loose momentum and/or boost, which will see you back in the gear you just came from :smiley:

Thanks again

P.S. Hope you passed Adam27

Choosing the gear in advance is the trick. It does sound like you are changing too early. The old double de clutch trick works. Giving it some revs as you select will help when going down the box

Almost:
Thanks for your help guys.

That’s two full days using it now and I’m happy with my progress. Still needs to fine tune 2nd and 5th but getting there :slight_smile:

What helped me greatly was sticking it gear then moving the stick left to right to feel out the size/shape of the gate. Do this for all the gates (there are only three on this twelve speed box: 1, 2, 3 gears in low range, 4, 5, 6 in high with the splitter giving you 1/2 gears throughout = twelve) and you can build up a mental image of where you are placing the stick during changes.

Like Adam27 mentioned, keep elbows in and also like has been mentioned, take it easy and don’t rush. However, that’s sometimes difficult when you are grossed out climbing a 1 in 5 and you need that next gear quickly otherwise you’ve loose momentum and/or boost, which will see you back in the gear you just came from :smiley:

Thanks again

P.S. Hope you passed Adam27

Passed with 3 minors !!
1st was show me tell me - Show me how you would switch on your Dip and Main beam lights, like a wally I put on my side lights then dip duuuurrrr!!!
2nd was on a round about. He said I should have used 2 lanes going round because it was a bit tight
3rd was to do with meeting traffic.

Annoyed about the show me tell me question but a super happy anyway

Passed with 3 minors !!

Well done Adam27 :slight_smile:

Just to pick up on something I’ve been watching (mainly from US trucks) regarding the clutch pedal. Do I need to depress the clutch fully when the vehicle is moving?

The reason I ask is that a few sources have said that you need only depress the clutch enough to disengage drive (1 to 2 inches) and NOT all the way down: doing so means you engage a transmission brake (of sorts) that slows down the spinning of the gears (if that makes any sense).

Is that something that is universal to all/most manual transmission trucks, or just US ones? More importantly, should I be using this technique (of not fully depressing the clutch once moving) on this Volvo?

No mate, use the clutch like you would in your car, obviously the changing of gears is slower but the clutch is normal.

try driving one fully loaded without the splitters. Its entertaining.

theres every chance im wrong but arnt Volvo gearboxs designed for lhd trucks,with the rhd versions having to have cables etc across the box to enable the gears to work?..mabey they just need adjusted properly if its both rearward gears that are bolloxed. no doubt someone with a phd in Volvo boxes can correct me,but that may be the prob if you defect the truck.

It was the switch mechanism. Thankfully today normal service has been resumed and all are now workingv