Volvo Idle Shutdown

Well been taken off the artic work and now on a 53 plate FM9 300 wagon n drag, so what I’m doing now is mainly cabin and caravan work which is involving using the winch quite a lot meaning a need to keep the motor running as not to flatten the battery (been a few near misses!!)

Now we have a 06 plate 340 doing same work but the idle shutdown has somehow been de-activated, meaning he just leaves it ticking over while winching caravans on.

I can do this with mine but have to set the idle to near on 1000 revs so it doesnt shut itself down, any ideas how you go about getting round this anybody?

cheers :slight_smile:

All I had to do was to raise the idle slightly above tickover on the cruise control. You will probably have to nip into a Volvo workshop to plug the laptop in. It will be a 2 minute fix.

just wondered wether there might have been something you could change in the menu’s somewhere, dont like to play too much incase it goes ■■■■ up!!

next time your wagon goes in for a service get them to disconnect the cut out.
had to have it done on 2 of our wagons a while ago,they are a pain in the arse.

Some of them shut down regardless of whether its in gear or handbrake on or not etc. Starter wears out much quicker than normal too. And as said if you happen to have battery probs, then you’re in trouble,.False economy and should be banned under Health and Safety. :unamused:

You can cactually do this yourself from the dashboard settings you just need to know the password I seem to remember the default is 12345 or 123456 but im not sure.

anyone back this up before i try it and it goes into self destruct mode in milford haven tonight?

i’ve pm’d you.

Do tell, I’d like to know too please, Volvo and DAF’'s :smiley:

Or wait one minute , when idle sgut down warning comes on screen blip the go go pedal and it cancels the shutdown mode and the engine will keep on running.

my volvo code was 1234 for driver settings and 5678 for mechanics settings and i found that in the drivers manual.

both them codes just giving me same menu’s mate and says nothing about idle shutdown, have to get onto the dealer i think, cheers all

Or…

paul@midway:
Or wait one minute , when idle sgut down warning comes on screen blip the go go pedal and it cancels the shutdown mode and the engine will keep on running.

its a bit hard to do that when im trying to hold winch remote and guide a 35ft caravan up the ramps as well, , thanks anyways :slight_smile:

i was in my previous motor yesterday a 03plate globetrotter 460 and was driving at 64mph (irish plated) an then this engine symbol came up and the engine cuts out while driving so pulls over rings up normal driver he says its the engine idle thing cuts in he says wen it does this just press clutch and turn key bak to ignition lights so the engine re-fires and carry on drivin he says volvo’s cn’t find a fault wrong with it as it only does it sometimes

any idea why it does this??

The only way to cancel the idle shut down is by taking it to the dealer i believe. I’ve jump started a few sainsbury’s fm’s and the ■■■■■■■■ always shutdown again after 3 minutes which make life difficult when you’re trying to check for charging problems etc.