volvo i shift

hello there ave got a new job for a waste water company driving artics,volvo i shift,never used one b4 any hints or tips gratefully recived,thanks in advance

Just select A and press the accelerator! Best auto box on the market bar none. There is a button on the top of the housing marked E/P select P change to power mode i.e for steep hils etc, but I doubt you will need it!

by far the best auto box about just put in drive it will do all the work for you.As for reversing very good control over it even on mud etc

Pull the trigger to move the selector. ‘A’ for drive, ‘R’ for reverse, ‘M’ for manual. Thumb button up or down for changing manually. E/P button at rear = economy/power. Power just holds it longer before changing up. E/P mode displayed on dash.

Very good auto, very rarely will you use manual. Leave it in ‘A’ point truck and go!

Good advice here from the motorway jockeys :wink: , but one thing you ought to watch out for.

The older i-shifts aren’t as quick to change down when you’re on a tight up-hill s-bend as you will no doubt encounter in the job you’re going for. They can “hang fire” and catch you out so in a situation like that flick it into “M” for manual and go up and down the box by pressing the button on the side of the lever. Once you’ve driven the truck a few times you’ll get to know when you do and don’t need to do this.

The dashboard display will show you up to three little arrows pointing up or down which indicate that you can change gear using the side switch even in auto mode. Very useful on a long gradient to get the best out of you exhaust brake.

You’ll get a few babbling on about “steering wheel attendants” and the like but in reality even the i-shift benefits from a bit of experience in using it especially in less than perfect road conditions. The real benefit is when you’ve finished your shift and you don’t go home with that nagging ache in your left hip from using the clutch all day. Tipper drivers and the like will know what I mean.

Agree with everyone else though, best box on the market.

gnasty gnome:
Good advice here from the motorway jockeys :wink: , but one thing you ought to watch out for.

The older i-shifts aren’t as quick to change down when you’re on a tight up-hill s-bend as you will no doubt encounter in the job you’re going for. They can “hang fire” and catch you out so in a situation like that flick it into “M” for manual and go up and down the box by pressing the button on the side of the lever. Once you’ve driven the truck a few times you’ll get to know when you do and don’t need to do this.

The dashboard display will show you up to three little arrows pointing up or down which indicate that you can change gear using the side switch even in auto mode. Very useful on a long gradient to get the best out of you exhaust brake.

You’ll get a few babbling on about “steering wheel attendants” and the like but in reality even the i-shift benefits from a bit of experience in using it especially in less than perfect road conditions. The real benefit is when you’ve finished your shift and you don’t go home with that nagging ache in your left hip from using the clutch all day. Tipper drivers and the like will know what I mean.

thanks for the tips lads very useful cheers

This might help mate

gnasty gnome:

Motorway Jockey :open_mouth: my FM i shift spent most of its life in and out of farms,quarries and landfills its only just been replaced with a brand new Daf 85 CF and in all honesty i would have the FM back tomorrow

Hello!

I see you drivers know how handle I-shift gearbox. In the USA the truckers is for I-shift or no I-shift. Someone don’t like it and someone talk about Allison and other makes but I think as many of you state I-shift is the best so far. All European makes of develops their own solution. Half full automatic or full automatic gearbox. Some complain and say the Volvo gearboxes don’t change to right gear or too late in USA but I read here they can change gear manually. Over there large fleets can buy 200 Volvos. Did the drivers get any lection about I-shifts ways and means?

What du you mates say about my writings. Is there any true?

Thank you
Lars-Gunnar :slight_smile:

FH13:
Hello!

I see you drivers know how handle I-shift gearbox. In the USA the truckers is for I-shift or no I-shift. Someone don’t like it and someone talk about Allison and other makes but I think as many of you state I-shift is the best so far. All European makes of develops their own solution. Half full automatic or full automatic gearbox. Some complain and say the Volvo gearboxes don’t change to right gear or too late in USA but I read here they can change gear manually. Over there large fleets can buy 200 Volvos. Did the drivers get any lection about I-shifts ways and means?

Thank you

Volvo i shift is probably 5 years in front of the yanks so they don,t like change. Stick with what you know is there way. Must admit i shift is way out in front as regards auto/man boxes. As said earlier, if you know how to use both modes then bob on. I had day with volvo trainer, worth doing to get to know the motors :wink: :wink:

tootman318:

FH13:
Hello!
Volvo i shift is probably 5 years in front of the yanks so they don,t like change. Stick with what you know is there way. Must admit i shift is way out in front as regards auto/man boxes. As said earlier, if you know how to use both modes then bob on. I had day with volvo trainer, worth doing to get to know the motors :wink: :wink:

Or maybe even 30 or more years when you consider most still want, and indeed spec trucks today with manual crash boxes, even in volvo’s. The company I work at has about 900 trucks in total of all shapes and sizes and most are Volvo. Yet only 7 are automatic, three of those are I-shift and four (including mine) are some kind of Eaton auto box, which isn’t bad, a lot better than the earlier version, but its still not in the league of an I shift…and the other 800+ trucks are all crash box heaps of crap.

robinhood_1984:

tootman318:

FH13:
Hello!

Or maybe even 30 or more years when you consider most still want, and indeed spec trucks today with manual crash boxes, even in volvo’s. The company I work at has about 900 trucks in total of all shapes and sizes and most are Volvo. Yet only 7 are automatic, three of those are I-shift and four (including mine) are some kind of Eaton auto box, which isn’t bad, a lot better than the earlier version, but its still not in the league of an I shift…and the other 800+ trucks are all crash box heaps of crap.

From a man who knows :wink: :wink:

tootman318:

FH13:
Hello!

Thank you

Some frankly say in USA “You wouldn’t come here and tell us how to do!!” With such a attitude it is not strange they struggle with Fuller for example. It is they as develop gearboxes as will take the initiative but the staff there are conservative yet. But we know it is Volvo and Mercedes as will influence the USA-market what they still think and say.

the big un:
Motorway Jockey :open_mouth: my FM i shift spent most of its life in and out of farms,quarries and landfills its only just been replaced with a brand new Daf 85 CF and in all honesty i would have the FM back tomorrow

I think the little FM is a great tool, the I-shift box is great. by far the best auto box on the market, and if you struggle with it, i suggest you find a new career, cos driving certainly aint your cup of tea :stuck_out_tongue:
Going up from a standing start is a piece of cake even fully freighted, get going, knock it into M and then change up, as Alexander would say “simples” :grimacing:

TonyCBR:

the big un:

I think the little FM is a great tool, the I-shift box is great. by far the best auto box on the market, and if you struggle with it, i suggest you find a new career, cos driving certainly aint your cup of tea :stuck_out_tongue:
Going up from a standing start is a piece of cake even fully freighted, get going, knock it into M and then change up, as Alexander would say “simples” :grimacing:

Agree 100%. That hill start switch is superb, holds the footbrake just right.

I have driven them all this week, artic Deckers on multi-drop into busy garage forecourts.

Daf CF AS-Tronic= OK but terrible in reverse.
Merc Axor Powershift= good but no use on roundabouts and messes about when trailer is empty.
Iveco Stralis AT= OK but again crap in reverse
Volvo FH440 i-shift= Very good but still not great on roundabouts.
Merc Actros Auto-trans(Today :cry: )= Don’t even go there :exclamation:
Renault Premium 460Dxi Opti-Driver= Out there on its own best of the lot and 99% of the time always in the right gear and great feel when reversing and hooking up. :sunglasses:

Big Truck:
I have driven them all this week, artic Deckers on multi-drop into busy garage forecourts.

Daf CF AS-Tronic= OK but terrible in reverse.
Merc Axor Powershift= good but no use on roundabouts and messes about when trailer is empty.
Iveco Stralis AT= OK but again crap in reverse
Volvo FH440 i-shift= Very good but still not great on roundabouts.
Merc Actros Auto-trans(Today :cry: )= Don’t even go there :exclamation:
Renault Premium 460Dxi Opti-Driver= Out there on its own best of the lot and 99% of the time always in the right gear and great feel when reversing and hooking up. :sunglasses:

Fair point mate but volvo engine and box in that one!!

I’ve never drove an actual Volvo I-shift but last christmas on my annual visit home to England I did two weeks on an almost new Premium with the 460 engine and Renault-ised I-shift and I have to say its one of the best trucks I’ve ever driven, infact in every way except interior space in the cab, it was best. Pulled like a train and the autobox was fantastic. Just a pity its in a rabit hutch sized cab!

tootman318:

TonyCBR:

the big un:

Agree 100%. That hill start switch is superb, holds the footbrake just right.

Wish I could get that thing to work. Obviously pressing the button, on with footbrake, release the handbrake, release the footbrake, results in a roll backwards. Though I eventually worked out how to get Cruise Control to engage (I don’t like braking).

robinhood_1984:
Just a pity its in a rabit hutch sized cab!

If you think that’s bad try the day-cab version! ■■■■-poor design, you can barely tilt the seat back at all and what a waste of the back wall… all that space and not even a document pocket. Cup holder’s crap too, probably made to fit a wineglass, typical Frog crap.

Don’t care much for the indicator stalk either, too damned easy to turn the lights on or off.

Rant over, got me FM back on Monday! :wink: