Volvo I shift gearboxes

Volvo have always been rated as very good trucks , this is what I have also found in my career except until it comes to the I shift gearbox , I`ve never had problems personally but the company I work for have had a few , resulting in prop shaft having to be removed and an expensive tow to the dealers etc , I would be very interested how others have found them ?.

Had a brand new coach in 2007 fitted with a volvo i shift box. Nothing but problems with it. It kept jamming in top gear and would not change down either in auto mode or in manual mode. After countless trips on the back of a recovery waggon. the gaffer lost all confidence in it and sent it back to the dealer.We dont have any volvo vehicles anymore.Changed over to Daf / Paccar drive trains and never get any major issues even with older vehicles that have over 800,000 kms on them.

The best auto box bar none, think it’s bad try scania with its abortion of a box.

I think you may have been unlucky with the dodgy one, there will always be a few trucks from each make that have ‘problems’, for drivability Volvo is is by far the best, they pull like a train, it’s always in the right gear, no lagg when you put your toe down at junctions. Best auto box I’ve ever used, the new Actros is pretty good but still not a patch on I shift

I love the I shift it brings out the steering wheel attendant in me :grimacing:

Must have been a dud. I’ve only ever driven them sporadically but my old man has had one (brand new every 3 years) since about 2004 and he’s never had a break down in any of them.

Biggest problems are crazy clutch wear mainly because it choses way to high starting gear and slips way to much on it. Second is outgoing axle brakes.

Best auto box by far,speak to your main dealer as some defects are covered by a campaign change to rectify certain faults a contribution towards repair costs may be available!

Icee:
Biggest problems are crazy clutch wear mainly because it choses way to high starting gear and slips way to much on it. Second is outgoing axle brakes.

Never had a problem with clutch(the release bearing can let go at high mileage) on site work they tend to upshift to soon when the wheels spin, just select manual shift & click up the box on the side button (not teaching how to ■■■■ eggs but maybe a chat with Volvo & a bit of instruction in driving them may not go amiss)

It’s better then the automatic gearbox in a daf

splitshift:

Icee:

Never had a problem with clutch(the release bearing can let go at high mileage) on site work they tend to upshift to soon when the wheels spin, just select manual shift & click up the box on the side button (not teaching how to ■■■■ eggs but maybe a chat with Volvo & a bit of instruction in driving them may not go amiss)

It’s four year since I last drove a Volvo, not tested the i-shift in fh 4. But I do like to keep me updated. The I-shift tend to choose 3 or 4 for starting gear even with 60ton gross witch is way to high and a clutch replacement at 300 000km is not a rear sight (620 opti cruise with a bit over 300 000km still reads 100% on the clutch). Alot of people also complain about the box in the forest, it slips way to much on the clutch and to see clutch overheated is not a very rear sign, with that I got no experience my self.
Also it’s very hard to drive smooth with higher gross weights, it’s jerky and trucks bugs when it shifts by my experience.

Select manual, 1 or 2 change up when you feel it’s right to do so (no auto box can compensate for what an experienced driver can see) back to basics for some of you guys :laughing: (quick driving course on a 12 speed Foden will sort you out :laughing: )

Way overrated in my opinion, it’s just a gearbox, nothing special that opticruise can’t do…!

Pimpdaddy:
Way overrated in my opinion, it’s just a gearbox, nothing special that opticruise can’t do…!

How dare you not bow down to the I-shifts I-shiftiness :imp:

OMG- I shift is the best ever, if you want a gearbox that takes you by surpise try a MAN box.

All about the driver really with these boxes, the gearbox can only react to what is happening not what is about to happen.

Those bought up on manuals will be able to treat the autobox better than those who are only familiar with autos. IMO

20 hail volvo’s pennace for the OP for questioning the holy I-shift.

wired4smoke:
The best auto box bar none, think it’s bad try scania with its abortion of a box.

Mine got lost in itself west bound on Chicksgrove hill on the A303 today, felt sorry for the lorry behind :blush:

Best of the autos imho. 99% of the time its perfect but it cant see whats ahead thats where a bit of manual intervention is needed to get the best.
We have about 15 i shift motors 1 is a 6x4 artic on landfill work on an 08 reg. They put a clutch in at christmas after the release bearing went.although there was a fair bit of life still in the old clutch. Thats good going on that work abd i dont think ive heard of as good life on a manual motor on the same work.
The roll on and tippers vary from 57-63 plates and ww had one gearbox go which was probaly done to the animal driving it.
For off road driving select manual before leaving the tarmac and no problems with it at all.
As for startung in to high gear knock it down manualy or speak to volvo about getting it re programed.

Cracking box. Yes it often selects 3rd ir 4th gear to set off (2nd low or high split in the manual version) but I usually just flick it down one or two gears manually before moving off ( depending on load and terrain) which would equate to 1st high or low split as you would use with a manual box. Otherwise I find it rarely needs prompting or messing with. Occasionaly flick into manual on a long hard climb when the box may change up or down unnecesarily because it cannot read the road but at roundabouts pulling away sharply etc I find it excellent and at top weight in city traffic I wouldn’t swap it for the world.

Pimpdaddy:

iShift does it with far less driver intervention though. With Opticruise my hands pretty much always on the stalk ready to override the thing.

rob22888:
iShift does it with far less driver intervention though. With Opticruise my hands pretty much always on the stalk ready to override the thing.

If I need to intervene it will be on both, neither are 100% for me & I can’t see what one can do that the other can’t…that’s just me though #screwdriver:grin: