Volvo follows Merc with electro-hydraulic steering

truckingtopics.co.uk/volvosteeringsys.html

Realistically…would you want it?

No i’ll stick with one thats connected by a mechanical linkage thanks, if the standard power steering pump throws a wobbly i might just be able to hold it steady enough to stop, if the ‘brain’ has a fit it might well send me up a tree.

Thought so…it seems the technology (ZF) has been around since 2004, yet it’s not been picked up until this year…so it’s not been an easy sell to the truck makers.

The next step towards eliminating the steering wheel attendant… :wink:

Juddian:
No i’ll stick with one thats connected by a mechanical linkage thanks, if the standard power steering pump throws a wobbly i might just be able to hold it steady enough to stop, if the ‘brain’ has a fit it might well send me up a tree.

Read the article :wink:

DrivingMissDaisy:

Exactly. GPS + distance sensors + computer controlled steering = Bye bye hairy-arsed truck driver. :wink:

I’ll be pushing up the daisies long before then but I’d be amazed if any truck had a human operator in fifty years time.

Harry Monk:

DrivingMissDaisy:

Exactly. GPS + distance sensors + computer controlled steering = Bye bye hairy-arsed truck driver. :wink:

I’ll be pushing up the daisies long before then but I’d be amazed if any truck had a human operator in fifty years time.

And the roads will be much the safer for it!

GasGas:
http://www.truckingtopics.co.uk/volvosteeringsys.html

Realistically…would you want it?

Same as a fiat bloody punto except they have kept the hydraulic system as well.

What a load of crap these people put on the market and call it “innovation”

Still suppose it keeps the repair bills nice and high!