Volvo FM5 sleeper cab wind noise

Good morning.

I drive a 2023 Volvo FM5 sleeper cab tipper and I have been suffering with wind noise issues around the top of the windscreen / sunvisor area and was wondering
if anyone else had come across this issue?
Volvo have looked at the issue and have told me it is “normal” for this model but I have my doubts! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Its driving me mad!!!

Cheers.

VolvoFM5Tipper:
Good morning.

I drive a 2023 Volvo FM5 sleeper cab tipper and I have been suffering with wind noise issues around the top of the windscreen / sunvisor area and was wondering
if anyone else had come across this issue?
Volvo have looked at the issue and have told me it is “normal” for this model but I have my doubts! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Its driving me mad!!!

Cheers.

Sorry cannot help you out on this one ? as never owned a Volvo, but that Cannot be right, But it looks to me that the Volvo Dealer / Stealer knows F/A about Volvos, but then again that goe`s for All Main Dealers when there is a problem,
I would contact Volvo Technical and ask them what the cause of it is, as its a H&S risk and makes it impossible to concentrate when driving it. and may cause an accident ■■ ,Plus the vehicle is NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE see what they say to that one.
Do it by E Mail for paperwork trace. wink wink, make sure you use the H&S bollox though lol
And also tell them the Dealer is a Waste of Space.

How about wearing ear plugs? I find wearing ear plugs is the answer to 95% of life’s noise pollution issues, even noisy neighbors and sleeping etc.

Has it got a full set of spot lights on the roof ?

These cause a fair bit of noise, since we have stopped fitting them to new kit, it`s stopped it :open_mouth:

I appreciate that the vehicle is fairly new but has it had a replacement screen fitted?

Wind noise is generally caused by turbulent flow. If air is smoothly flowing over a surface there will be no noise.

Gaps in doors or

the maoster:
has it had a replacement screen fitted

cause whistles, sunvisors,

Stanley Mitchell:
spot lights on the roof

irregular mirrors (Mirror-guards on tippers) will all cause obstruction to the air and hence noise.

Franglais:
Wind noise is generally caused by turbulent flow. If air is smoothly flowing over a surface there will be no noise.

Gaps in doors or

the maoster:
has it had a replacement screen fitted

cause whistles, sunvisors,

Stanley Mitchell:
spot lights on the roof

irregular mirrors (Mirror-guards on tippers) will all cause obstruction to the air and hence noise.

We have those mirror guards on some for a particular job, and there is`nt a massive difference noise wise if at all from my experience

I can remember a factory visit to Gothenburg when they were developing the FM concept, and the engineers were very adamant about the fitment of spotlights, as in don`t FFS, we spend billions on wind tunnels to make these aero-dynamic and you guys come along and undo everything in one fell swoop with a visit to Kelsa :open_mouth:

Stanley Mitchell:
I can remember a factory visit to Gothenburg when they were developing the FM concept, and the engineers were very adamant about the fitment of spotlights, as in don`t FFS, we spend billions on wind tunnels to make these aero-dynamic and you guys come along and undo everything in one fell swoop with a visit to Kelsa

Absolutely ! :smiley:
Spend money to add extra weight, air drag, dirt traps, damage magnets*, for an increase in lighting that is rarely, IMHO, beneficial.
But…each to their own.

Stanley Mitchell:
We have those mirror guards on some for a particular job, and there is`nt a massive difference noise wise if at all from my experience

Not all guards will produce lots of noise but any turbulence will have some effect.

*Bolted on bits are more exposed to damage than flush fitted lights etc.