Volvo fm 460 brake fault

Hi I have a volvo 460 which started with an abs fault. I have changed the abs ring and sensor, but the fault has now changed to sensor liner fault, has anyone else had this problem or has any idea what the problem is?

Is this an actual ABS fault or general amber brake fault?

Has the brake wear sensor been disturbed when the ABS ring and sensor was done, as one fault is cured and another seems to have cropped up immediately after?

Having thought about this with your other thread. If there is some issue with pressure sensing there is a good chance the brake system will not like it and depending on the fault may revert back from EBS to regular braking.

How old is your FM ?

Bearing in mind your other thread, I’d be looking at the wiring loom that runs through the chassis , trapped wires, water ingression etc

Is abs light on as soon as you turn on the ignition or when vehicle moves?
If its on from turning on ignition then its a resistance/test signal fault.
“live” wheel sensors run through self test for circuit integrity to put the light out
If it comes on once the vehicle moves then usually its a signal fault eg badly installed exciter ring,badly adjusted wheel bearings or sensor air gap.

gritton716:
Hi I have a volvo 460 which started with an abs fault. I have changed the abs ring and sensor, but the fault has now changed to sensor liner fault, has anyone else had this problem or has any idea what the problem is?

Hi, go into diagnostics on dash and get the MID,PID FMI, CODE ive got a booklet somewhere!, spent many an hour on this type of fault the lining sensors are absolute crap and can fail at any time usually after a reline or if the caliper has been removed think they are around £50 a shot. The correct sensor- exiter gap is crucial and also check the pad thickness across the axle if 1 side is I think 30% lower-higher than the other it will trigger a fault code. Bring Back the mighty Z cam!!!

TOECUTTER:

gritton716:

Hi, go into diagnostics on dash and get the MID,PID FMI, CODE ive got a booklet somewhere!, spent many an hour on this type of fault the lining sensors are absolute crap and can fail at any time usually after a reline or if the caliper has been removed think they are around £50 a shot. The correct sensor- exiter gap is crucial and also check the pad thickness across the axle if 1 side is I think 30% lower-higher than the other it will trigger a fault code. Bring Back the mighty Z cam!!!

Once tried VOLVO self diagnostic and found it about the same as DAF self diagnostic
absolute bollox.

The system is very sophisticated. I don’t think it monitors brake wear only for the convenience of knowing when the brakes need doing I think it actively uses the data to modulate the air pressure it applies to each wheel to give even braking.

Own Account Driver:
The system is very sophisticated. I don’t think it monitors brake wear only for the convenience of knowing when the brakes need doing I think it actively uses the data to modulate the air pressure it applies to each wheel to give even braking.

So you have a brake monitor system that dont monitor brakes

Are you real?

Look at the plug onto the caliper,does it monitor oil pressure?

Bking:

Own Account Driver:

So you have a brake monitor system that dont monitor brakes

Are you real?

Look at the plug onto the caliper,does it monitor oil pressure?

I’m not sure what you’re reading but my post is clearly referring to the fact that the lining sensor information is used to modulate brake application and not just when a reline is due.

What? So if the brakes are worn on one side they are not applied
What a muppet

Bking:
What a muppet

Er no, modulate doesn’t mean not at all. Most likely it would apply slightly more pressure to the side with the most wear so the effect is even across the axle.

Own Account Driver:

Bking:
What a muppet

Er no, modulate doesn’t mean not at all. Most likely it would apply slightly more pressure to the side with the most wear so the effect is even across the axle.

I was told the system monitors wear and brakes so all linings wear together ,10yrs on with this ebs and ive never seen 1 wear evenly between axles .The rears wear atleast 1.5 times faster than the fronts ,there is a download available at the dealers to make the mid lift pull its weight more had 4 3axle units done modded only time will tell.