Volvo FH750 v Scania R730

chaversdad:

OVLOV JAY:
A T range is massively cheaper.

Theres your answer Smoggie , you will have to go and work for that fella with the nice blue and pink motors if you want a V8 on containers :laughing:

Haha too far for me , I’d be happy with a truck with working aircon lmao

What about the MAN V8 680 BHP? anyone got figures on them? I quite like them.

hedg70:
What about the MAN V8 680 BHP? anyone got figures on them? I quite like them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBnWyjudayk

Don’t know any figures but seen quite a few heavy haulage firms using them so can’t be bad ?

I,ve seen heavy haulage MAN V8,s and 4x2 euro trucks but never an English 6x2 MAN V8 on general work

switchlogic:
My 750 was €140,000 new three years ago. You get more on standard price with Volvo. Scania make you pay for everything . I once encountered an R730 with the interior spec of a shopping trolley. Plus let’s not forget the big FH16 eats those overrated V8s for breakfast :wink:

well said Luke, :sunglasses:

I thought man had stopped there V8 program. D28 straight 6, has replaced them iirc. Out here theres a few V8 Man and mercs knocking around but nowhere near as many V8 scanias.

Concretejim:
I thought man had stopped there V8 program. D28 straight 6, has replaced them iirc. Out here theres a few V8 Man and mercs knocking around but nowhere near as many V8 scanias.

I read on CM that they are bringing back the 500HP V8’s.

Scania over the Volvo for me please :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Having driven a 440 Scania and 460 Volvo the Volvo wins hands down in the engine and gearbox department.

I was being overtaken once by a 440 carrying 3 Scania tractor units so he was carrying about 24-25t. I had 26t of Cola on the back of an FH460. We came to an hill and I left him for dead. It was embarrassing.

If you look at the stats the R730 has more torque so should pull better. I think the gearbox plays the biggest part and that’a where Volvo comes out on top.

Honest question this. Not a joke one. But how does a smallish haulier make it pay buying a brand new 750? Is it the high resell value after 2 years in addition to lower fuel costs overall? I know it’s something to do with capex devaluation plots or camel head paintbrushes …or something

switchlogic:
My 750 was €140,000 new three years ago. You get more on standard price with Volvo. Scania make you pay for everything . I once encountered an R730 with the interior spec of a shopping trolley.

I believe the 750 Volvo’s don’t come in a basic spec, but have everything Volvo have got on them as standard, they’re very much built as a prestige truck. As you’d know. :smiley:

Smoggie89:
Some good points , i know the firm I work for is not the best or biggest but it doesn’t make sense to me other than the cost why he doesn’t get at least 500hp for the type of job we do , I would say 80% of our work is running more or less max weight across the 62 all day all week , I’m not sure how much he is paying to lease the 460 T Range but surely it wouldn’t be that much of a difference price wise to a 500 Volvo

The Renault T range goes up to 520 bhp, but the other thing with your 460 according to the Renault brochure is they only the 11litre engine not the 13 litre you get in 440, 480 and 520 and a bigger engine should mean more torque.
Although 750’s 730’s would be way over the top as fleet trucks, I think getting low power trucks that are just up to the job is also a false economy.

James the cat:
Honest question this. Not a joke one. But how does a smallish haulier make it pay buying a brand new 750? Is it the high resell value after 2 years in addition to lower fuel costs overall? I know it’s something to do with capex devaluation plots or camel head paintbrushes …or something

Many of them buy them for the joy of owning one. Sometimes for special occasions like mine was or simply because the boss is a truck man through and through. Not everything has to make financial sense

switchlogic:

James the cat:

Many of them buy them for the joy of owning one. Sometimes for special occasions like mine was or simply because the boss is a truck man through and through. Not everything has to make financial sense

I guess so. Nice to hear some business can afford such luxuries without an ulterior motive. Unusual outside of small business where on the larger scale, everything on the balance sheet must make sense in some way, however abstract :smiley:

In a non direct way, it must send a good confidence message to forwarders and customers.

muckles:

switchlogic:
My 750 was €140,000 new three years ago. You get more on standard price with Volvo. Scania make you pay for everything . I once encountered an R730 with the interior spec of a shopping trolley.

I believe the 750 Volvo’s don’t come in a basic spec, but have everything Volvo have got on them as standard, they’re very much built as a prestige truck. As you’d know. :smiley:

Smoggie89:
Some good points , i know the firm I work for is not the best or biggest but it doesn’t make sense to me other than the cost why he doesn’t get at least 500hp for the type of job we do , I would say 80% of our work is running more or less max weight across the 62 all day all week , I’m not sure how much he is paying to lease the 460 T Range but surely it wouldn’t be that much of a difference price wise to a 500 Volvo

The Renault T range goes up to 520 bhp, but the other thing with your 460 according to the Renault brochure is they only the 11litre engine not the 13 litre you get in 440, 480 and 520 and a bigger engine should mean more torque.
Although 750’s 730’s would be way over the top as fleet trucks, I think getting low power trucks that are just up to the job is also a false economy.

this is what we don’t understand , okay a 460 will get the job done but hammering the engine when it sees a hill!

switchlogic:
Not everything has to make financial sense

I.ve been telling the accountant (or wife as i sometimes call her) this for years but she,s having none of it :smiley: