Volvo FH4, the worst truck ever built?

Had mine 2 years, and it really needs a gallon of petrol and some matches. After 6 ad blue pumps, 2 dosing nozzles, 2 sets of batteries, 3 air leaks, a leaking fuel pump and god knows how many come and go faults, I’m sat in Volvo Ipswich with a broken front spring. Not one showing in the country, it’ll be delivered from Gent sometime tomorrow afternoon. Get me a bloody Scania.

Rant over :open_mouth:

Well I must confess to been a volvo lover Iv loved my version 2 and now have a cracking version 3…
Iv never driven the version 4 only sat in one but it didn’t impress me at all and I don’t think I’d like the push button hand Brake either.
I just didn’t have that quality volvo feel to it,seems you are not liking yours much at all

That’s reminded me, the electronic handbrake packed up twice too

I picked mine up brand new last July (2016).
Within the first week, i’d had both mirror arms replaced. All 4 mirrors were vibrating that much while driving.
It broke down on the French/Belgian border (300 metre’s from the Belgian border) with less than 2000 km’s on the clock. Had to wait more than 5 hours for the 24/7 breakdown service as they couldn’t decide while breakdown service to send ( nearest was 20 km’s away in Belgium, but i was technically still in France & the garage was more than 150 km’s away).
I’ve had both headlights changed due to moisture inside the lens (Xenon lights) & they’ll need changing again soon as they both leak water in.
Also had the Ad-Blue pump changed.

The km clock now stands on 60.000 km’s… :open_mouth: :unamused:

Let’s just say that i like this truck, but it has some issue’s…

BTW it’s an L.H.D. 540 made in Gent( B).

OVLOV JAY:
Had mine 2 years, and it really needs a gallon of petrol and some matches. After 6 ad blue pumps, 2 dosing nozzles, 2 sets of batteries, 3 air leaks, a leaking fuel pump and god knows how many come and go faults, I’m sat in Volvo Ipswich with a broken front spring. Not one showing in the country, it’ll be delivered from Gent sometime tomorrow afternoon. Get me a bloody Scania.

I must say, the few times I’ve had to drive a Volvo, I’ve not been impressed with the quality, especially given their reputation - the last time it was an FM not an FH, but it was as fussy as a Mercedes without the sturdiness. And that switch “handbrake” is potentially lethal, and should be banned.

I have noticed that the second-hand value of Volvos isn’t anywhere near that of a Merc or Scania - I’ve seen second-hand FH13s for roughly the same price as DAFs.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Just ordered a new one as well, hopefully not a friday afternoon special :grimacing:
My Fh13 500 (570) has been faultless through 40K kms since ive had it, just service parts and a set of tyres…for sale soon and in a way ill be sorry to see it go.

No front n/s leaf springs in Northern Europe. Waiting on them to track one from further afield. Looks like it’s off the road until Thursday at least :imp: :unamused:

Never had a problem with ours but I’m not a big fan of the dash and elec handbrake, the build quality felt better on my old one.

OVLOV JAY:

Yep had all them problems and more was glad to see the back of it now got another new one odd sensor coming on already low battery light coming on already wouldnt mind but got no TV or inverter and start up b4 I go bed the window is a good one press up button it goes up then comes down again without touching anything.

There is something much worse than the FH4 - The FM4 !!

crap mirrors, crap radio, and the same dodgy electric park brake !!
constant ad blue warnings, torque reduction (limp mode in English) and use more oil than fuel

OVLOV JAY:
No front n/s leaf springs in Northern Europe. Waiting on them to track one from further afield. Looks like it’s off the road until Thursday at least :imp: :unamused:

Back in the 1970s when Volvo were trying to force their way into the UK market they would have told the dealer to take a spring of a sales vehicle or taken one off the production line and put it in a van. Nowadays they couldn’t give a flying ■■■■.

Apart from the gearbox & the flashy looks on the FH’s, I don’t have much love for Volvo’s to be honest. Always been at my happiest driving a Scania, straight forward dash with no daft electric handbrakes (which are just something else to go wrong), they get the job done and just feel like more reliable & sturdier machines to me.

and not a mention of badly fitting doors and windows that won’t go right up. ■■

They can’t find a spring worldwide ffs! And rather than take one off a second hand or rental truck, they’re giving us a rental to replace it. What a joke. I thought 3 days off the road for an ad blue pump was taking the biscuit, but they can’t even give us a date for this. I’ve got an S series Scania on demo in 3 weeks, if the truck is still in Volvo, I’m going to make sure I go in there to get something out of it :imp:

Heap of scrap these Volvo are nox sensors always going too

OVLOV JAY:
They can’t find a spring worldwide ffs! And rather than take one off a second hand or rental truck, they’re giving us a rental to replace it. What a joke. I thought 3 days off the road for an ad blue pump was taking the biscuit, but they can’t even give us a date for this. I’ve got an S series Scania on demo in 3 weeks, if the truck is still in Volvo, I’m going to make sure I go in there to get something out of it :imp:

Strangely enough my 2015 FH broke a front spring on 19th January, and there was no replacement to be found. Had to wait until 25th January for a replacement to arrive from Eastern Europe somewhere. Was given a replacement vehicle.
Not had many faults with the FH V4, mainly:

Window O/S wont close completely when driving at speed (Fixed at 1st inspection)
Adblue nozzle blocking up (Fixed first time by new pump & nozzle and reprogram ECU to clear adblue from pipes using air pressure for longer)

No electrical problems so far.

No faults so far on a 10 month old 2016 plate FH.

In comparison I rang my local DAF dealer last Friday at 5pm requesting a silencer mounting bracket for a 05 reg CF 85. 15 minutes later they rang back to say nil stock UK and nil stock Eindhoven. DAF records show last one sold (I’ve forgotten exactly when they said) was 3 years ago? and very few had ever been sold. Eindhoven will talk to their supplier about lead time and minimum quantity. Dealer will have answer on Monday morning (yesterday) regarding whether DAF are happy to commission a new batch of what is really an obsolete part. Monday morning Dealer rang to say that if required DAF will restock the part, but the lead time to delivery was likely to be three to six weeks. My customer declined because of price, but would have been prepared to wait and refit the old corroded part meantime. The badly corroded part has been plated and welded, which took considerably longer than the often imagined half hour which every welding job is assumed to be worth.

I am glad I have a Foden , I can get a 3 leaf front Spring delivered here same day , and they stopped making this model 15 yrs ago .

They have found one in Lithuania, and it’s being flown in to Stanstead tonight, and couriered up to Ipswich for 8am. We should have the truck back by lunchtime tomorrow :open_mouth:

Sheds :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: