Volvo FH16 700

I would’ve though there’d be a big discussion on the new generation FH16 series. Especially the 700HP engine. The most powerful truck in the world. And I have to say it looks stunning.

What do you think of it?

I’ve been driving a FH(440) from new for the past 6 months and to be honest i’m not to impressed how on earth do tall people drive these things the interior lights are crap and what is that stupid shelf for(under the dash) apart from losing things , I would rather have the scania… but that is only my opinion, I would rather have my 501 roadhaus back tho :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

i’d take an fh but not with 700hp the power levels are getting stupid who on earth needs anymore than 500hp [apart from the heavy haulage guys and girls] just my opinion?

there has been a post on here already concerning the 700. Ive been running fh’s for last ten years and yes they are good motors. at the moment im running a 610 but my next wagon wont be a volvo the fh cab is now dated and the smallest of the long haul cabs on the market. If they were to think about there cab design rather than continually trying to beat there rivals for biggest engine size then i would have had one but not on this cab its been around to long. In my opinion volvo got it wrong with the sloping front and have had plenty time to sort it out

The sloping front does not do the FH any favours, I prefer the old "F"cabs

Deepinvet:
I’ve been driving a FH(440) from new for the past 6 months and to be honest i’m not to impressed how on earth do tall people drive these things the interior lights are crap and what is that stupid shelf for(under the dash) apart from losing things , I would rather have the scania… but that is only my opinion, I would rather have my 501 roadhaus back tho :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

you need a magnum on your job… :wink: :wink:

you need a magnum on your job… :wink: :wink:

[/quote]

Cheers mate i’ll pick it on sunday :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Overheard a convo in a cafe the other day regarding said new big truck, guy was saying rather loudly that his boss had put in an order for a few of these…
thought lucky git then I saw what company he drove for and thought yeah like you need a 700bhp truck for pulling a fridge!!! :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
This is definately aimed at the heavy haulage people…
Looks nice tho…
Wonder if the boss will get one and stretch it for me■■? LOL

All depends what axle rating they offer and gearbox/ torque converter. Heanor sold there brand new 660 Volvo because of the i-shift gearbox playing up. Not many will want to dish out all that money on a prime mover when Laxa, Titan, Oaf will nearly build you anything you want.

Well i’m 6’5’’ and up till recently driving a 480 FH12 with no hassle. Wish i had it now.
The Biggest problem is that all these emission controls coming in sap all the power from these engines, so they have to up the horse power to get over amount they loose.

john-sussex:
Well i’m 6’5’’ and up till recently driving a 480 FH12 with no hassle. Wish i had it now.
The Biggest problem is that all these emission controls coming in sap all the power from these engines, so they have to up the horse power to get over amount they loose.

you get used to it. if your being honest there is no room in the drivers seat comes down to sloping front again. im 6 3 you cant stretch your legs and every fh ive had the door panel gets rubbed away with your knee due to lack of space

700 brake and limited to 85 k’s,what a waste,still takes forever to pass another lorry thats half a k or so slower that you keep catching up with but will take forever to pass,give me a d reg 142 anyday,or anything pre 1st of jan 1988,

The perfect motor for containers, say 120,000k for the unit, 10k on lights & stainless, 10k on pictures of the dead ■■■■■■ out of the new batman film airbrushed on the cab & 10k on a cerise pink leather interior, that’s 150,000k over 3 years plus a bit of interest & you got 1100 quid a week, you get your 1800 guarantee from whoever you sub for & you got 700 quid left to pay all the rest of your bills & your wages.

I don’t see the problem, it’s got 700hp FFS :sunglasses:

john-sussex:

Interesting line of thought!!!

Why don’t they just modify the engine to bring it back up to the power it had before they fitted the emission controls?

3ducks:

john-sussex:

Interesting line of thought!!!

Why don’t they just modify the engine to bring it back up to the power it had before they fitted the emission controls?

It’s got 700hp at the flywheel, so that’s after all the emissions systems have done their thing so it doesn’t matter if it’s EGR, SCR or SFA it’s still got 700hp, which translates as the power of 700 horses, so it’s got 180 horses more grunt than the last of the pre emission 16ltr Volvo engines, it’s a totally different engine too, but that’s not the point.

scotslad:
there has been a post on here already concerning the 700. Ive been running fh’s for last ten years and yes they are good motors. at the moment im running a 610 but my next wagon wont be a volvo the fh cab is now dated and the smallest of the long haul cabs on the market. If they were to think about there cab design rather than continually trying to beat there rivals for biggest engine size then i would have had one but not on this cab its been around to long. In my opinion volvo got it wrong with the sloping front and have had plenty time to sort it out

The fm is too small and the fh is too big,until you get inside and realise the cab is so cramped. The mudgaurd tops have a very short working life too,is there not enough expense in running trucks without the likes ov Volvo deliberately leaving poorly designed parts unchanged■■?

Clarky:
Wonder if the boss will get one and stretch it for me■■? LOL

Tell you what Clarky I’ll have a word with my guvnor, maybe we’ll get a good rate if we get two done.

LOL… i reckon the lead times will be rapid now eh■■?

We get our new artic crane unit shortly…supposed to be today but someone got the measurements wrong PMSL!!! half a tonne overweight on front axle!!!