Volvo fh13 500 engine problems

hi, has any one else suffered head problems on an fh13 500 ? 160,000kms and valves burnt out ! still under warranty but a severe inconvience !

I have a 60 plate 470000 kms no problems. What Did Volvo say has caused it

cause unknown at the moment. rebuilt head and fitted then checked bottom end- big ends and mains f,ed new fitted and a new oil pump just in case. 3 weeks of the road at the busiest time of the year ! bollox !!

Only thing that will cause valve “burn” on a diesel is tappets too tight.
As the motor ages the valves impact on the valve seats pushing them deeper in to the head, that reduces tappet clearance and the hot gas on the power stroke can get to the valve lip and burn it.

Bking:
As the motor ages the valves impact on the valve seats pushing them deeper in to the head, that reduces tappet clearance and the hot gas on the power stroke can get to the valve lip and burn it.

Wrong, this is from volvos own TSB on burnt exhaust valves:

Burnt exhaust valves and seats that starts with corrosion on the exhaust valve seats due to sulphuric acid in the exhaust area caused by condensation from cold starts in combination with increased sulphur content in the diesel fuel. The sulphuric acid will always attack the same position on all cylinders. Over time it will develop a compression leakage and also the exhaust valve will be affected.

Be prepared to be told off by Bking ,for daring to say he is Wrong :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: You can amuse yourelf when bored by reaing some of his drivel,Read the one on runaway engine classic :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

norb:
Be prepared to be told off by Bking ,for daring to say he is Wrong :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: You can amuse yourelf when bored by reaing some of his drivel,Read the one on runaway engine classic :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Think the word is “reading” dear
You should give it a whirl one day if you ever get over the dyslexia ■■

warcake:

Bking:

Burnt exhaust valves and seats that starts with corrosion on the exhaust valve seats due to sulphuric acid in the exhaust area caused by condensation from cold starts in combination with increased sulphur content in the diesel fuel. The sulphuric acid will always attack the same position on all cylinders. Over time it will develop a compression leakage and also the exhaust valve will be affected.

Well I heard some ■■■■ in my time but you take the biscuit!!!

warcake:

Bking:

And were does the the sulphuric acid come from prey tell
Full o ■■■■■

norb:

Yes I had one runaway with the faries the other day!

Bking:

norb:

Yes I had one runaway with the faries the other day!

Faries. :question: :question:

Bking:

norb:

Think the word is “reading” dear
You should give it a whirl one day if you ever get over the dyslexia ■■

Got a bite ,result … :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: …You really should make sure your spelling is perfect before pointing out my errors :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: dohhhhh

I’m a Volvo fitter, that information was taken directly from the technical info I have access to!

The same data that the guys who repaired the original posters engine! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Its not, of course, the only way exhaust valves can get burnt out but an fh still in warranty (less than 2 years old) wouldn’t have been up for a valve adjustment yet.

warcake:
I’m a Volvo fitter, that information was taken directly from the technical info I have access to!

The same data that the guys who repaired the original posters engine! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Its not, of course, the only way exhaust valves can get burnt out but an fh still in warranty (less than 2 years old) wouldn’t have been up for a valve adjustment yet.

So what happens if the truck has done 500,000 Kms in 2 years?
I know Volvo are "perfect " but doesnt mileage have a bit of a say in service intervals?

:laughing:

mc.jpg

Bking:

warcake:

Bking:

Well I heard some [zb] in my time but you take the biscuit!!!

On the surface it would be easy to agree with burger king here, as we use ULSD (ultra low sulphur diesel)

However there is still an acidic environment in an engine and it comes from oxidation of the oil, it does come from combustion, so burning diesel is responsible.

Now there are a number of things that can cause this, high idle times, worn out cylinder kits, streaming injectors, exhaust restrictions etc.

Best way to avoid it is to get regular oil samples, if oxidation or nitration is high, the oil needs to come out earlier next time.

Prime suspect :smiley:

Some great info here, thanks for posting Warcake, ignore the mis-informed resident troll :smiley:

are you saying it doesn’t burn valves :question: :slight_smile:

205:
are you saying it doesn’t burn valves :question: :slight_smile:

I think he means bking