Volvo FH12 gear selector problem

Just out of interest i want to know how many of you have broken down with a gear selector problem on an FH12. The reason for me asking is that for the 2nd time in 4 weeks im stuck, going nowhere as the truck wont select any other gear apart from drive. This one appears to be a selector malfnction and mechanic has gone to fetch a new one. Same happened 4 weeks ago. Even though i leave tue selector in neutral the engine wont attempt to start as it thinks it is in gear. Mechanic said its a big problem and im his 3rd selector problem today. He said a lot of the time its just dust down the side of the driver seat under the selector. Both trcks have been 6 year old and this guy said so are most that develop the faulty selectors !!! Ah well… feet up.

I put a thread up last week about the same problem on ours.

viewtopic.php?t=97968

Im on my phone !!! Will head there now, thanks.

Pull the relay. Did he check that. Swap it for the other one. Think its f5. Or f15.

If buyers of trucks would opt for the manual version this sort of problem just would not happen .

Kerbdog:
Just out of interest i want to know how many of you have broken down with a gear selector problem on an FH12. The reason for me asking is that for the 2nd time in 4 weeks im stuck, going nowhere as the truck wont select any other gear apart from drive. This one appears to be a selector malfnction and mechanic has gone to fetch a new one. Same happened 4 weeks ago. Even though i leave tue selector in neutral the engine wont attempt to start as it thinks it is in gear. Mechanic said its a big problem and im his 3rd selector problem today. He said a lot of the time its just dust down the side of the driver seat under the selector. Both trcks have been 6 year old and this guy said so are most that develop the faulty selectors !!! Ah well… feet up.

throw out the auto rubbish and fit a twin splitter, better, faster gear changes and better fuel consumption too

shugg:
If buyers of trucks would opt for the manual version this sort of problem just would not happen .

Manual FH12s are prone to selector cable failure though and that costs £800 just for the cables.

A mate of mine had a 52 plate who had constant problems with the tight shift on it. I think he had to change cables and some other bits to try and fix it.

shugg:

Yeah. And if we all drove Sentinels we wouldn’t use as much diesel. :smiley:

Bugger all wrong with the selectors or the gearbox,It the lump of electronic ■■■■■ that they bolt to the side of it thats the problem.

Unfortunately the monkeys they employ today to drive a truck has to have some dik machine to change gear because the useless pillock doesnt know what a gear stick is.

Once upon a time this pillock would be stacking shelves at Tescos but now they let em out on the road withh 44 tonne under their bum.

Progress!

And if its the manual shift check that the ferrules at the end of the shift cables havent come adrift.Stops full engagment if they have any play.

You know where to send the cheque I presume?

Bking:
You know where to send the cheque I presume?

I think so, let me see if I’ve got this right:

Mr Hugh Janus
The Cockwell inn
Tillet
Herts.

Is that ok?