Volvo fh12 clutch check?

does anyone know how to check the clutch on a fh12 2002 manual, the guy who does my inspections tells me he has mesured it by some method, and its nearing its wear limit, although the clutch operates perfect with plenty of bite, no sliping or noise, any advice welcome

i dont no off the top of my head how to do it, but there is definatley a way how to do it, because we have a 03plate globetrotter 420, and when its been for service it says how much is left in the clutch,

i wil try and find out and let you know, im presuming there is a inspection cover possibly underneath were there you can see the clutch plate

hope this helps

if my memory serves correct (no garuntee) on my old fh12 420 there’s a gap around the gearbox somwhere and you can measure the clutch through that,usually have a sticker just inside the drivers door to record each interval,though i suspect yours may well be worn out by now (the sticker that is) :open_mouth:

aye i think your right, my question is do you replace it even if the clutch feels perfect with plenty of bite, or replace when it measures on its uppers wear limit

jeep:
aye i think your right, my question is do you replace it even if the clutch feels perfect with plenty of bite, or replace when it measures on its uppers wear limit

i would replace it when its on the wear limit as , as u probably know they can just start to slip at any given moment, thats just my opinion

mr bilton is right about the sticker as our volvo has 1 fitted aswell on the inside of the door frame

they are adjusted on the nearside of the bellhousing. where the shaft comes out of the bellhousing to an arm. at the end of that arm is the threaded adjuster with a locknut on it. he will be able to tell when its fully adjusted as it will be fully wound out/in. (its been a few years since I adjusted a volvo hence the vauge description!)

There are 2 measurements on the bottom right hand corner of your inspection sheet which end up giving you the wear of the clutch. (I don’t know exactly how they are calulated) :confused:

The number should reduce by 1 or 2 every 6 weekly inspection; if it goes down by over 2 between inspections it could be regarded as excessive wear. When the number reduces to low 20’s it should be replaced.

when you feel the clutch pedel juddering under your foot, it will only judder very slightly, you have a few weeks left on the clutch normally,unless your a good driver :wink: , but that is the easy way to tell if the clutch is about u/s

jeep:
does anyone know how to check the clutch on a fh12 2002 manual, the guy who does my inspections tells me he has mesured it by some method, and its nearing its wear limit, although the clutch operates perfect with plenty of bite, no sliping or noise, any advice welcome

Thomas Hardies had supply & fit for £ 795 or thereabouts for a standard FH12 clutch the other week when I was in parts depot @ Wigan, not much good if your in Yarmouth or such like though!!! I thought it reasonable enough price myself, I do know the thrust bearings are’nt too hot on them & you usually feel it rumbling through your pedal when its down, a greek fitter warned me to change it at around 450ks I never bothered & sold that 1 with 795ks on it, not bad going IMHO. My current 1 has the twin plater in it I felt it rumbling around 700ks & changed it, bearing was shagged but plates only 60% wear, sorry to ramble hope its some use.

Fly Sheet

bearing was shagged

Thats a technical term, my lad uses it a lot to describe worn out items, most commonly - ME. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

when a new clutch is fitted you take a measurement(with a special tool)…this figure is noted on the sticker on the doorpost…then at service intervals a new measurement is taken and noted,so you can tell how much clutch wear has taken place.
there is a maximum figure for wear and when you reach that figure you should replace the clutch…wether its driving ok or not.
i have changed clutches which have been driving perfectly one day…and no drive at all the next…with NO lining material left(usually on the flywheel side)which leaves grooves in the flywheel which either means a new flywheel…or reduced clutch life if you dont.
ignore the man who tells you your clutch is near the end of its life at your peril.

(i thought the fh clutch was automatic adjustment?)

There is a simple way of measuring the clutch wear. As long as its an early version2 truck with the cable gear change. On the passenger side front of the gear box (near the bell housing) you will see the clutch pack. Its at the bottom of the box so you’ll have to slide under. At the front of the pack there is an hex head bung in the gear box/bell housing casing, is a 6 or 7mm i think. When you remove this you need a piece of rod to measure how deep the hole is. Just feed the rod into the hole until it bottoms out, mark the rod by holding your finger on it where it emerges fom the hole. A measurement of 100mm is a new clutch 125mm the clutch needs replaced, from this 25mm difference you can work out what % clutch you have left.