Volvo FH12-520 ; 2007/57

I am looking @ a couple of these, both around the 300k mile mark, 6x2 config…

Anybody got an opinion on this model, pros and cons ?

Im running 460s which have been great, Im just needing a little extra poke on a job coming up, and these 520s are @ a decent price, with a 12 month ticket, new discs ect…

Many thanks in anticipation…

Seems low mileage (similar to our fleet), so should be in good nick.

We run 08/58 plate 480’s & 520’s - can’t tell a difference in hp myself, all been good solid motors.

Thought you had sold up ages ago and gone for the easy life Simon?

I thought at 57 plate, they were FH13’s?

Ken.

There’s not much between a 480 an a 520, but I’ve had Both in succession, and I’d much prefer my 520 I’ve got now ! That little bit more does make a difference, and it’s a 57 plate ! If it’s well serviced and maintained they’re good motors !

I’d probably ask for the maintenance history for them and make sure the valve clearances have been adjusted because Volvo engines are interference engines. The last thing you want is it to drop a valve on you after you buy it. Also, I’d steer away from the D13B FHs as they have EGR and some have issues with the cooler body cracking which causes the coolant system to over-pressurise. Other than that, they’re solid motors.

FH Hammy:
I’d probably ask for the maintenance history for them and make sure the valve clearances have been adjusted because Volvo engines are interference engines. The last thing you want is it to drop a valve on you after you buy it. Also, I’d steer away from the D13B FHs as they have EGR and some have issues with the cooler body cracking which causes the coolant system to over-pressurise. Other than that, they’re solid motors.

UPDATE

As you say, FSH is critical, unfortunately these have none, the trail goes cold pretty quickly after the warranty period is up, the Volvo history archive is a wonderful tool, but, only if its been on a Volvo service contract…

The previous owner worked these very hard, and, the mileages dont tally up, Ive had three different mileages from people in the know, so, i`ve decided not to follow up my interest in these.

As you say, the Volvo is a solid motor, I am happy with them.

Stanley Mitchell:

FH Hammy:

UPDATE

As you say, FSH is critical, unfortunately these have none, the trail goes cold pretty quickly after the warranty period is up, the Volvo history archive is a wonderful tool, but, only if its been on a Volvo service contract…

The previous owner worked these very hard, and, the mileages dont tally up, Ive had three different mileages from people in the know, so, i`ve decided not to follow up my interest in these.

Where these in surrey by any chance, if yes pm me. i know the trucks well.

Wing and a prayer:

Stanley Mitchell:

FH Hammy:

UPDATE

Where these in surrey by any chance, if yes pm me. i know the trucks well.

No mate, about 200 miles north of Surrey…

Thanks for the input though…

you have a pm :slight_smile:

Wing and a prayer:
you have a pm :slight_smile:

Replied… :laughing:

Be Careful regarding Volvo FSH. On contract vehicles not worth the paper its printed on. They boast about being able to service 100 truck a night , look at more like not serviced. :imp: