Volvo fh

Hi all

Volvo fh ride problems,

I’ve changed the shocks on the front, cab mountings, the ones you can see under the grill and the rear ones. It still feels rubbish, rattlers and bags over small potholes, is there anything else under the cab i can change. its old 54 plate

Cheers

Might be worth putting this in the owner drivers area. They probably have had more experience of this and what to do to cure it.

Personally. I’d look lower down, towards the vehicle suspension. Bushes, shackle links, anti roll bar etc.

A 54 plate fh will have a harder ride than later models when they put the 13 litre engine in and softened the front springs a bit in 2006. The V2 never had cab mount issues unlike the V1, so I would check the front anti roll bar bushes as these can clang around a bit if worn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it’s really bad I’d be looking at the bushes on the spring itself. You might need to jack the truck and support it on the chassis then lift/lower the front axle and get a big ol pry bar on it to spot it. Sometimes they can be well gone and there’s no visible paint wear or bush material showing.

If you’ve got access to column lifts and a hollow ram hydraulic puller then it’s a fairly easy job quite tricky otherwise without taking the spring off the vehicle and using a press.

Make sure that the cab jack is fully down, by that I mean keep pumping a few times after the cab touchdown, not sure if it’s possible with the leccy type pumps, the other thing to check is the V stay bushes on the drive and mid lift if fitted, when these are worn you can feel it through the cab floor, you would think it was an issue under the cab!

I’d second the v stay bushes, easily damaged when dropping heavy trailers. Sound like someone’s punching a hole in the floor when they go. Watch the skin on your hands when you change it