Well where do we start
Bought 2 yrs ago fh from Volvo been Volvo maintained and approx 222000 Kim’s
So story begins before even on road needed full set injector seals
4 mths later needed clutch so much for driver abuse I shift fitted
Then camshaft needed that’s 5k
N s front calliper seized on 2 k plus tyre
Now it needs a gearbox
Fffff scrap only got 360,000 58 plate hunch
Got 4 stratos with 600-900 thousand no spent 5 k on them all put together in 4 years
So parked fh up tax 02 plate. For Monday
Volvo getting painted plain white then to trade or market what a pole of crap would have another one in a lucky bag worse than that dealer not interested even though it was Volvo maintained

yours thoughts please

It’s a second hand truck? It’s luck of the draw

I cant wait for the day to have someone from the transport industry in this country admit that if the British truck manufacturing industry had been supported when we had one we would not be reading posts like this .

Give me a British truck any day but thers none left
But got a 55 plate steal is bought 2 yr old off hill hire never had a day off in 5 yrs costs compared to Volvo out shines it any day and not a bad truck to drive either
A fleet of FHs would put you put of business
Regards

TRAILERS1:
Give me a British truck any day but thers none left
But got a 55 plate steal is bought 2 yr old off hill hire never had a day off in 5 yrs costs compared to Volvo out shines it any day and not a bad truck to drive either
A fleet of FHs would put you put of business
Regards

I’ve got a fleet of fh’s and they keep me in business, thanks. It seems you were unlucky with that truck.

I was looking to an 07/08 Fh with about 400k’s but after reading this thread i have gone off the idea viewtopic.php?f=4&t=84602&p=1184055&hilit=+volvo+fh+trouble#p1184055
I havent seen the same posted of a Scania.

TRAILERS1:
Well where do we start
Bought 2 yrs ago fh from Volvo been Volvo maintained and approx 222000 Kim’s
So story begins before even on road needed full set injector seals
4 mths later needed clutch so much for driver abuse I shift fitted
Then camshaft needed that’s 5k
N s front calliper seized on 2 k plus tyre
Now it needs a gearbox
Fffff scrap only got 360,000 58 plate hunch
Got 4 stratos with 600-900 thousand no spent 5 k on them all put together in 4 years
So parked fh up tax 02 plate. For Monday
Volvo getting painted plain white then to trade or market what a pole of crap would have another one in a lucky bag worse than that dealer not interested even though it was Volvo maintained

yours thoughts please

Hi Trailers1,
A camshaft and a gearbox on a 2008 truck @ 360,000km? Time to start looking at oil quality and changing regime. Perhaps the truck was neglected/abused earlier on in its life? Two grand for a brake caliper sounds excessive aswell. To be fair the FH in general is not a bad truck. I have noticed guys burning out clutches on I-shifts by holding them on inclines and keeping the engine revving slightly…not saying your guys did it,but the damage could have happened in its first life.

I do agree with you about the Strato’s. Good trucks,reliable,economical and easy to maintain and run. Pity they are no more.

I maintain a fleet of 7 volvos. From my shunter, a V plate, up to a 12 plate and having changed a calliper or 2 here I’d say you were charged roughly double the cost of the actual job a calliper from Volvo costs ITRO £700 plus VAT add new pads £120 plus VAT then 3 hours labour and voila overcharged big time. I must say sifting though about 60 inactive fault codes every 6 weeks becomes a nause but that is where my preventitive maintainance starts is with data analysis. So here is one thats worth a chuckle The 12 plate had 6 new injectors fitted over the period of a week with 29,500 km on the clock!!

well more to add
gearbox total recon now supplied and fitted

still think should have torched it

2 k repair was because abs module was letting air to caliper and after 4 hrs running the driver never noticed it so when he stopped the disc was glowing hot
blew the tyre burst wing panel and panel under cab need call out to volvo needed caliper ,abs module air pipes new tyre etc hence 2 k bill
fault codes done every inspection oil as per volvo as was bought for time for a change from iveco or daf
driver thats was on it now works at volvo as mechanic so driver was not the worst he still drives at weekends
thus the story ends

We have around 600 FH in the fleet, have the odd problem, had a couple of gearboxes, not exsessive, 1 or 2 camshafts.
But right maintenance, right oil and don’t trust the dealer is half the job.
Many clutches get damaged by the driver
Most gearbox damage is by the driver
They treat the gearbox as a full automatic (with a torq converter) it’s not, it’s a manual box who operate automatic, with a standard clutch.
Moving the gearstick in reverse while still moving forwards, or the other way around does defiantly damage, with the old geartronic you could do that as it had a torq converter (liquid) as clutch absorbing the abuse.
We had Scania’s in the past (75 of them) once but never again.
The I-shift has for us defiantly a positive input in the whole picture. (by the way we are running Volvo since 1964)
We dont trust these maintenance plans they try to sell, very scared that they cut corners, never proofed but very suspicious.