Volvo FH release parking brake manually & windows

2014 Volvo FH with electric parking brake. Sometimes after doing something like opening the door it refuses to move when trying to set off and comes up saying “release parking brake manually”. How does one release it manually? Pushing the switch back doesn’t do anything and nor does pulling it forwards (as if to re-apply it).

Also what is the problem with the driver side window in all the Volvo’s of this age? None of them will go fully up and stop shy leaving a 5mm gap which the wind loves to whistle through. Why do you have to drop the passenger side window by a few inches then the driver side one will fully close? I just don’t understand it. Anyone else drive one of this age with same problems?

If you apply pressure to the brake pedal you can then press the handbrake switch to release the brakes, I do this all the time rather than “driving off” the handbrake :wink: And yes the driver’s window does the same as yours :frowning:

As said, you need to press the brake to release the handbrake, And my windows are fine, but the roof hatch is playing up!

Have been told my 2015 fh window won’t close fully when driving but closes fine when stopped. Will mention to volvo when it goes in for first inspection

Can’t help with the handbrake but with the window as it gets near to being closed drop the passenger side one an inch or two then bring them both up together and they should then close fully, it something to do with equalising the air pressure

Handbrake never seems to release when you’re in a hurry as for the windows it seems a common problem do as the above says lower passenger one and put drivers up

These things are going to be a barrel o’ laughs for operators when they age enough to leave makers R&M behind, quite why anyone would want an electric parking brake on a car i can’t understand, having one and still more electronic tat on a working vehicle seems folly bordering on lunacy.

+1 on the window problem and solution…
manual release of park brake = press brake pedal while releasing switch…
AND ,how to overide automatic engine shutdown, when the message comes up on screen that it is going to shutdown, just dab the brake pedal once…
anyone else got any tips… ■■?

i have a tip for you

a good trucker always carrys bog roll in there bag for the times you need to crap in the cab.

also make sure you know exactly where the starting handle is for the unit just in case you stall it

Last time I drove one of these heaps, it came up with the following warning.

BRAKE FAILURE, STOP VEHICLE

Erm… OK… :unamused:

I forgot to mention but i keep hearing that when you get out and shut the door these new volvos tend to self lock so if your keys are in there your zb

Is there a diesel particle filter regeneration block switch on the new Volvo anybody know ?

bald bloke:
Is there a diesel particle filter regeneration block switch on the new Volvo anybody know ?

Sorry BB, not laughing at you mate, but these new lorries just keep getting better and better, we’ll be refurbing old 111’s F12’s and 2800’s at this rate, cos half this modern junk’ll be off the road at any given time being re-programmed and there’ll be no food in the shops.

bald bloke:

Come on one of you must know !!

ok the brake will release if your in gear and depress the gas pedal if the door is open which it shouldn’t be when your moving then you have to pull it as far as it will come towards you you will feel it click with your foot on the brake pedal same as if you want to release it manualy but you don’t actually need to touch the brake handle at all whe you stop turn off the ignition and the handbrake will automatically come on its magic aint It as for the windows this seems to be normall they do not go fully up when your moving don know why but me and mate picked our’s up yesterday and they are both the same so it may be some fault but cannot see every one being the same now have you got it

bald bloke:

bald bloke:

Come on one of you must know !!

If it was spec’d to have one yes (ADR etc), on your average run of the mill tractor unit no.

these are real pain.
i had one of these stuck in a really deep hole with a good lean over to the left(loaded with cans of our favourite soft drink).
started to winch it out and couldn’t get the handbrake to release,unless it was put into drive and the driver touched the accelerator.
as soon as the accelerator pedal was released the handbrake re-applied.
i’m not up on these and the driver didn’t know how to get it to stay off,though i’m sure there is a way.

wrecktech100:
these are real pain.
i had one of these stuck in a really deep hole with a good lean over to the left(loaded with cans of our favourite soft drink).
started to winch it out and couldn’t get the handbrake to release,unless it was put into drive and the driver touched the accelerator.
as soon as the accelerator pedal was released the handbrake re-applied.
i’m not up on these and the driver didn’t know how to get it to stay off,though i’m sure there is a way.

From what I overheard in a non volvo workshop recently, hit the hazard light switch a couple of times ( obviously this is mmtm so might not work )

SHED’S, We have more on the way. Don’t want one!!! :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: