Volvo fh power points

how many power points does a volvo fh have also if there is a 12v point are they safe 2 run two things off say a 12v coolerbox and a laptop

does any one know if stobart fhs have fridges

They dont have fridges no. Congratulations on getting the job.
You do realise you`ll now be regarded as scum by some, less of a driver, up yourself,the root of all evil in the world etc etc etc… (this is despite having worked at various other firms where you were ok and one of the lads)
:unamused: :unamused:
I hope you enjoy the job. I do and i ignore all the tossers who call the firm despite never having worked there.

call me what they want lol as long as i can pay my bills with the wages i aint fussed lol

I woulnt run a coolerbox off the 12v as they are not the best in the Volvos. Burnt mine out. Ordered a 24v coolerbox, but when it came it was a 12 with a plug in dropper! Only cost 30 quid though and has never let me down. A lot of our lads put extra 24v sockets in, but not the cigar lighter type, more like a 240v kettle socket, none have had any trouble with them.

Good luck with your job, nice shiney trucks!!

My mate has just got a job as engineer on their two jets at Carlisle Airport.

burnt out the cooler box our the 12v socket

JB:
You do realise you`ll now be regarded as scum by some, less of a driver, up yourself,the root of all evil in the world etc etc etc… (this is despite having worked at various other firms where you were ok and one of the lads)
I hope you enjoy the job. I do and i ignore all the tossers who call the firm despite never having worked there.

beg to differ there oh yes have worked there and not as previously stated not all r tossers but you my friend appear to be one who is lol n where will he plug his tom tom in if his fridge and laptop r plugged in desisions desisions food or directions mmmmmmm hard one aint it awww well he can alway eat at the snack bar in crick

merrymaid:

JB:

beg to differ there oh yes have worked there and not as previously stated not all r tossers but you my friend appear to be one who is lol n where will he plug his tom tom in if his fridge and laptop r plugged in desisions desisions food or directions

No decision required, just plug the Tom Tom into the 24 volt socket and he can have food and directions. Problem solved.

Only got one 12v and one 24v both on 10a fuses I think. So just make sure you don’t overload the socket.

So max out of the 12v is 120watts, 240watts out of the 24v (current x voltage), and they don’t work without the keys which is a pain in the ■■■■ if you have to hand them in regularly. A laptop and a fridge would probably overload the 12v socket on it’s own.

One good thing about working for a large fleet is that they might standardise the power outlets. it saves melting the trucks.

At VDB we had 2 sockets in the dash on every truck. 24 /12 volt and used a dutch domestic household socket. They were even delivered from the dealers with a microwave connection

On the ‘57’ plate FH13 440 I had till I moved depots recently, there was a 12v power outlet socket and a 24 volt cigar lighter / socket.

Both were fitted with 10 amp fuses. Neither would run a kettle. I upped the 12v socket to a 15 amp fuse and as long as I only filled the kettle with enough water for one cup I was OK.

Both would run my coolbox though.

One of our guys plugged in a kettle to the 24v socket and caused lots of damage to the electrics. We all got a memo saying that nothing over 3 amps was to be plugged in to the 24 v socket.

In words of few syllables - Volvo electrics are crap.

flying_fenman:
On the ‘57’ plate FH13 440 I had till I moved depots recently, there was a 12v power outlet socket and a 24 volt cigar lighter / socket.

Both were fitted with 10 amp fuses. Neither would run a kettle. I upped the 12v socket to a 15 amp fuse and as long as I only filled the kettle with enough water for one cup I was OK.

Both would run my coolbox though.

One of our guys plugged in a kettle to the 24v socket and caused lots of damage to the electrics. We all got a memo saying that nothing over 3 amps was to be plugged in to the 24 v socket.

Did i miss something when did it move FH 12s not FH 13s ■■?

say this on a truck but thought it was a joke lol

Fallmonk:
Did i miss something when did it move FH 12s not FH 13s ■■?

say this on a truck but thought it was a joke lol

Couple of years ago. From what Volvo told me, the new 440 is the equivalent in torque to the old 460, the new 400 the equivalent to the old 420 and so on.

Easy to spot, as they are simply badged FM and FH now.

See below:

I beg to differ but i’ve driven volvo fh’s running tripple cigar lighter extentions, with the company’s mobile phone, my cooler box and my laptop plugged in in the evenings, i’m still alive, and no fires to report :arrow_right: yet.

I’ve had 2 FH’s. The first one (1998 380) I managed to cook the electrics and set it on fire. The second one (2006 480) I didnt have a problem running a 300 watt inverter but didn’t dare use a kettle. All I can say is use Volvo electrics at your own peril :confused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: make sure you have a fire extinguisher close to hand.

Tiger.

flying_fenman:

They are. But then they are in most trucks.

Gone are the days when we had one or two electrical sockets per room in our homes, so why do we still have that in our trucks? We need four or so.

Mr Truck Designer, are you reading this?

Harry Monk:

flying_fenman:

Gone are the days when we had one or two electrical sockets per room in our homes, so why do we still have that in our trucks? We need four or so.

Mr Truck Designer, are you reading this?

Agreed. I want to know why, in a 60/70k motor they dont fit inverters as standard?

JB:
I want to know why, in a 60/70k motor they dont fit inverters as standard?

They don’t even in long haul US trucks, BUT, some of them come with the wiring and sockets in place ready for the inverter of your choice to be fitted.

Harry Monk:

Can see your point Harry. However when you go from an ‘03’ R124 Topline (in which you’ve never even had to replace a fuse) to a ‘57’ FH Globetrotter and you take all your stuff with you that you used in the Scania, and within two weeks you have replaced 5 fuses, replaced every interior light bulb ( you can’t use them if you are running anything off the 12v socket I was told by Volvo! :open_mouth: ), melted both 12v and 24v power sockets, nearly burnt out the loom requiring 6 hours in Volvo’s at Basingstoke and still haven’t had a cup of tea, you have to ask what the Hell Volvo are thinking we use the power sockets for.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the Volvo product is great. I would buy them myself if I was in the market. However they are nowhere near as robust as Scania as far as electrics are concerned.

Recently switched back to an Actros following move of depots, and I’ve not had a single problem in this either.