Volvo fh i shift problem

Hi I have got a FH13 460 on a 10 plate, it has an intermittent fault when selecting gears from a standstill it sounds like it has gone in gear and shows on the dash it is in gear but wont drive and wont rev, also the pto wont engage , no faults on the dash, volvo have plugged in and found no faults, will cure its self if turned of several times, any ideas?

johnerf37:
Hi I have got a FH13 460 on a 10 plate, it has an intermittent fault when selecting gears from a standstill it sounds like it has gone in gear and shows on the dash it is in gear but wont drive and wont rev, also the pto wont engage , no faults on the dash, volvo have plugged in and found no faults, will cure its self if turned of several times, any ideas?

call binotto leicester - they are dealing with ptos maybe they can help or suggest anything.

it is more a problem with the clutch / gearbox, have taken gear box out clutch springs were worn with broken bits, fitted new clutch ,gearbox recalibrated but still no drive, back to the drawing board.

We had a magnum with the same gearbox in doing the same. After spending £2000 at renault and getting no where tollie transmissions sorted the gearbox it self. Was a internal problem and apparently really common, give them a call and explain your symptoms, they’re really helpful

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

thanks will give them a try.

Have had the gear box into HL smith at Albrighton today, all checked out ok , fitted a new thrust bearing pack , all built up just waiting for recalibration in the morning , fingers crossed. Just like to say what great guys at HL Smith checked it out straight away and were very forthcoming with advise on possible causes.

Recalibration done okay now, back on the road, problem seems to have been the clutch.

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what this recalibration is all about.
I currently have the gearbox out of my 12 plate fh13 and, all being well I’ll be refitting it tomorrow after replacing the clutch and cylinder assembly.
Would be interested to know if there’s something I need to do before I bolt it all back together.

Hi I presume it’s an I shift box ,if so you will have to get an auto spark to do a plug in to recalibrate it .
It’s for the clutch bite point etc not a big job just need the computer guy to run the program on your truck ,

Hi chipliner,
Thanks for that info, having just finished replacing the clutch in my truck it’s driven out of the garage alright, however it is trying to drive as soon as you let the handbrake off.
I fear a trip to the main agents is on the cards.

At the risk of receiving of receiving all sorts abuse for even suggesting it .If this had been a manual gearbox you would have had none of the problems , loss of revenue ,and expensive trip to the dealer etc , " all that glitters isn`t gold !!!.

shugg:
At the risk of receiving of receiving all sorts abuse for even suggesting it .If this had been a manual gearbox you would have had none of the problems , loss of revenue ,and expensive trip to the dealer etc , " all that glitters isn`t gold !!!.

If it was mine ,dare I even say , I’d be fitting a ts ! :laughing:

Yeah that’s what you need a main dealer plug in or a private hgv auto spark how would know straight away if he could do it or not , it’s just a programme they run and put everything in the parameters of a new clutch etc , have had it done both private and by Volvo , don’t think it was expensive £150 -£200 maybe ?
If you fitted a new clutch on its own sometimes you get away with it , but when you fit the booster as well it’s usually a reprogram job .

chipliner:
Yeah that’s what you need a main dealer plug in or a private hgv auto spark how would know straight away if he could do it or not , it’s just a programme they run and put everything in the parameters of a new clutch etc , have had it done both private and by Volvo , don’t think it was expensive £150 -£200 maybe ?
If you fitted a new clutch on its own sometimes you get away with it , but when you fit the booster as well it’s usually a reprogram job .

What you say could well be true chipliner ,the problem is that there are some??unscrupulous dealerships out there who when they see an operator pulling into their yard will rub their hands in glee at taking the thought of taking as much of the poor operators money as they can , and get away with .