Volvo FH for £13K?

Hi guys,

I’m looking to set up as an owner-driver and have been looking on Walker Movements, Auto Trader and similar websites, and when I looked through WM I found that my budget would afford me an early Euro 5 DAF XF. Euro 4 or 5 is essential as I live near London, so without it I wouldn’t be able to do runs into London.

Then I saw some Volvo FH’s on AutoTrader which cost about the same – about £13K. One of them (a 480bhp FH13) was marked “ideal for export”: Used Trucks & Lorries for Sale | Auto Trader Trucks

I was always under the impression that Volvos were expensive, much like Mercs (which I hate) and Scanias (which I really like but are beyond my resources). Is a Volvo for the price of a DAF likely to have something wrong with it?

Also, I noticed that you can get 2008 Euro 5 Volvos, and 2009 Euro 4 ones – why is this? Or is it a typo?

Is there a significant advantage in terms of fuel economy and tax to buying a Euro 5 model instead of Euro 4? Are there any plans to change the London regulations so Euro 4 trucks are excluded?

Ive had 07/57 plate euro 5 before and had rpc so £500 year off rd tax
Cant remember date whenofficiakky chAnged over then the rpc stopped

I believe the Euro 4 Volvo doesn’t need ad blue, so means one less thing to go wrong and I don’t think they’ll be a change in the LEZ in the next couple of years as it was quite a build up before they brought in the last change.

Walker movements do have quite a few tractor units for sale,
http://www.walkermovements.co.uk/tractor_6x2.asp
as do their associated company

The motor in the link looks to me like it’s got quite a lot of miles under it’s belt.

You will get a likely much newer lower miles mostly Volvo truck in a Renault Premium for the same money.

If I needed to go in the LEZ I would be very reluctant to make a long term investment in a euro 4 vehicle.

Euro 4 needs adblue
Had a 08 480

There was some think non adblue 440 about
But stay clear of them

gettin-on:
Euro 4 needs adblue
Had a 08 480

There was some think non adblue 440 about
But stay clear of them

Ok I couldn’t see an ad blue tank on the one in question and I always thought it was the difference between the Euro 4 and Euro 5 models as they seemed to be available at the same time.

Euro 4 came in late 2006, Volvo recommended the adblue route, but did produce some egr vehicles to compete with the man trucks that spent a lot of money bashing adblue systems. So you could get adblue or egr Volvo trucks.

I bought euro 5 trucks in 2008 because even though I only needed to buy euro 4, if I went straight to euro 5 I could get an rpc certificate which means £500 discount off the tax disk every year. Iirc euro 5’s were about £2k more, but I’m still running them now and still getting £500 off the ved rate. The only difference between eu5 and eu4 is they use a bit more adblue.
This is why you might see older vehicles at euro 5, younger vehicles at euro 4.

Hope this clears things up for you

muckles:
Ex Fleet 6x2 Tractor Unit for Sale | Used 6x2 Tractor Units UK - FleetEx

I notice there’s a lot of 440bhp MAN tractors there and nothing much bigger, all about 4yrs old. I’ve only driven one MAN tractor (plenty of rigids, so I’m well aware of the slow auto gearbox) - anyone driven one of those up the Stokenchurch hill with a full load?

IndigoJo:

muckles:
Ex Fleet 6x2 Tractor Unit for Sale | Used 6x2 Tractor Units UK - FleetEx

I notice there’s a lot of 440bhp MAN tractors there and nothing much bigger, all about 4yrs old. I’ve only driven one MAN tractor (plenty of rigids, so I’m well aware of the slow auto gearbox) - anyone driven one of those up the Stokenchurch hill with a full load?

Never driven up to Stokenchurch fully freighted, but up Windy Hill on the M62 my MAN 440 can drop down to the mid 30’s