Volvo fh automatic gearbox problem

Went to load at a yard last night, about to reverse onto a bay, switched it to automatic and wouldn’t go into gear, and it was like the accelerator had been disconnected, no revving when put down. Tried manual and forward same thing. Put in neutral and it would rev again. Took 5 mins engine off and on and fiddling around to finally get it back into gear and on the bay. Dash display is reading the changing of gears between manual/reverse/auto but nothing happening.

Parked up for the night and went in to pick the trailer back up and it was working fine hitching the trailer back on, then when went to drive out the gate same thing happened.

Anyone had similar or heard of it?

That happened to me a couple of times ,i turned the electric off, with the switch on the nearside for 10 seconds and it reset itself,then into volvo to sort.
Another time my kettle fell over and soaked the plug on the floor next to the seat, could not get any gears until it dryed out
Klunk

just had the same issue on My FH, turned out to be rod that connects slave cylinder with clutch, has a bearing on it that goes, parts £50 but gear box out and then biting point needs to be reset, won’t rev as electrics think truck is in neutral between gear changes

klunk/■■■■■■■■
That happened to me a couple of times ,i turned the electric off, with the switch on the nearside for 10 seconds and it reset itself,then into volvo to sort.
Another time my kettle fell over and soaked the plug on the floor next to the seat, could not get any gears until it dryed out
Klunk

You are right klunk,knocking the iscolater switch off for a few seconds works wonders on volvos[[little red switch near battery ]]not for too long though if you dont know the radio code :wink:

nurglets:
Went to load at a yard last night, about to reverse onto a bay, switched it to automatic and wouldn’t go into gear, and it was like the accelerator had been disconnected, no revving when put down. Tried manual and forward same thing. Put in neutral and it would rev again. Took 5 mins engine off and on and fiddling around to finally get it back into gear and on the bay. Dash display is reading the changing of gears between manual/reverse/auto but nothing happening.

Parked up for the night and went in to pick the trailer back up and it was working fine hitching the trailer back on, then when went to drive out the gate same thing happened.

How old is the truck mate? There are different versions of the I shift.

I assume Needham’s is an older one as there is no rod that connects the slave cylinder with the clutch on the later ones. (Post 2005 or so)

Work run FH’s on the back of the selector box is a button marked L it’s limp mode only uses 1st 5th and reverse if you accidentally press it it won’t rev or hardly moves.
Did it couple of weeks ago was like hmm not going anywhere till I saw the L on the dash where the gear selection is displayed turned it off for 2 min was ok after that.

Jeff.

warcake:

nurglets:

I assume Needham’s is an older one as there is no rod that connects the slave cylinder with the clutch on the later ones. (Post 2005 or so)

It’s a 2008, when it gets in gear it seems like there’s a bit of “give” on the accelerator a lot of the time, almost half way to the floor before the revs pick up.

I tried the battery isolator switch, it seemed to do the trick the first time this morning, then when it did it again this afternoon at tesco rdc in Peterborough flipping the switch didn’t seem to help, maybe that one in the morning was just a coincidence.

Haven’t touched the limp button, no L on the dash, but did only notice it for the first time when I was trying to check out the wiring and block connectors.

Just got to go another hour to get to Bristol to park up for the night then make it back to the yard in Cornwall in the morning and then I can leave it at the workshop.

Should have bought a manual gearbox model .!!!

Is it sometimes rough at going into gear and while changing gears? I had symptoms similar to you with my Renault. It was showing on the dash as in gear but no drive when going to pull away. Also it was like a MAN Autobox with its all or nothing clutch control. It turned out to be some sort of module on the side of the gearbox that was knackered.

nurglets:

warcake:

nurglets:

It’s a 2008, when it gets in gear it seems like there’s a bit of “give” on the accelerator a lot of the time, almost half way to the floor before the revs pick up.

I tried the battery isolator switch, it seemed to do the trick the first time this morning, then when it did it again this afternoon at tesco rdc in Peterborough flipping the switch didn’t seem to help, maybe that one in the morning was just a coincidence.

Haven’t touched the limp button, no L on the dash, but did only notice it for the first time when I was trying to check out the wiring and block connectors.

Just got to go another hour to get to Bristol to park up for the night then make it back to the yard in Cornwall in the morning and then I can leave it at the workshop.

It honestly sounds like the clutch cylinder is on its way out, or as damoq said on his renault, the solenoid pack on the side of the box (which controls the engagement speed of the cylinder) Is there any faults under the diagnostics in the dash?

Normally when they mess about with not selecting gears and its electrical, you get blank displays on the dash for the gears, or the check gear selector at next stop. Thats normally spilt coffee in the plug down the seat, or the K5 relay has packed up.

our I shift boxes on our American Volvo VLN trucks have a 750000 mile warranty on them, is it the same on the european ones?

It could also be the throttle position sensor, the symptoms you describe with the throttle going halfway to the floor before anything happens would point to that. It’s a cheap and easy fix compared to messing with the gearbox and it’s always good procedure to try the cheap and easy things first.