Volvo FH 460 XL Orgasmic or what?

Even though this model of truck has been out a while I just have to say I think its the dogs ■■?
Drove one today for the first time for woodsides haulage,Felt like I had know it for months!! It was a 460xl with only 36k and had the 12sp box( slightly confusing as I was used to the Scania 12sp,looking for 3rd/ 6th that wasn’t there!!) what a joy to drive.Everything was solid and felt well put together,radio nicely positioned for adjustment as well as adjust buttons on the s.wheel,box was easy to use even that reverse gear on the cableshift was easy to find,seemed to pull like at train with a trailer full of Michelin truck tyres!!! Only thing was took me a hour to find the steering wheel ajusting pedal under the dash!!
Being used to DAF XF’s, Scania 124’s,Renault 420cdi’s,Mercedes Actros (old Model) I would say the new FH certainly has them beat for driver appeal,Now where is “Woodies” new Iveco Stralis,Merc Axor and Man XXL!!! :smiley: :laughing: :wink:

Have had a 460 now for the last 90,000 kms and it really is an excellent tool the things that irritate are the mirrors too big :open_mouth: cause neck strain at roundabouts :confused: and they get so filthy after 15 minutes of driving in rain you spend all day cleaning the things :open_mouth:

:cry: I think this thread should be severely edited or even deleted as I am currently driving a M reg Volvo FL10 :blush:

:slight_smile: LOL What a dream…I have to laugh when I read about drivers moaning about this truck and that truck and I just think - if only I could drive one of those.

My day will come soon

Safe driving everyone - whatever you drive

Now imagine driving that with a 500 ■■■■■■ out in front, a walk in sleeper with double bed, wardrobe, bedside cabinet with 4 drawers, space for a cooker and fridge and a TV cabinet ■■?

When you’ve done that you’ll see my truck. :sunglasses:

Big Truck:
Now where is “Woodies” new Iveco Stralis,Merc Axor and Man XXL!!! :smiley: :laughing: :wink:

I would pick the Man XXL anyday,its way better then the volvo,also that comfortshift is the best!!!

No trucks are orgasmic if they are driven for £5.00 an hour… :unamused:

mad comfortshift is ok but the volvo has ishift which much better then and theres no storage in the man either

alix776:
mad comfortshift is ok but the volvo has ishift which much better then and theres no storage in the man either

I have to disagree because i have been away in a Man XXL and Volvo Globetrotter Xl (old and new) with my dad,which means that i have to sleep on the top bed,the storage lockers on the back wall in the volvo intrude into my space :imp: ,wheres the Man doesnt have them :laughing: and we found that theres enough storage in their for the 2 of us while we was away all week. :smiley:
The comfortshift is great i think and so does my dad,i cant comment on the i-shift because i havnt been in 1,but what i have read in magazines and what people say they are very good.
I spose everyone has there own taste dont they :smiley: :sunglasses:
Anyway Happy New Year everyone :smiley:

I took a Volvo demo down to Malaga a few weeks back. It was the FH12 460 XL. Whilst the storage and near flat floor were superb, I had too many complaints about it for the Boss so we won’t be getting them!!!
What is the point of having a near flat floor if you still have to climb over the blinking gearstick at a peage?? I thought the mirrors were superb but for someone who likes sleeping ‘up top’, I found the headroom minimal!!! I dont appreciate hitting my head at 330am and the like. But the biggest dissappointment was the fuel economy. I was only pulling 32 tonnes going down. When I got to the Spanish border at Irun, after a relatively flat run down, the computer said I was averaging 8.9 … ok, thought I, so far so good!! I then followed the N1 over the mountains via Vittoria and Burgos to Madrid. OK, the weather was awful but boy oh boy, the fuel consumption was decimated!!! down to 6.8 AND I always drive ‘in the green’. I tipped in Malaga, went empty to Murcia, loaded with ‘26 tonnes’ and back to Caen. I never ever got that fuel consumption back up above 7!!! and in my honest opinion, if that was a 460, I would have hated to have had a 420. I thought it pulled terrible for a 460 with only 60,000 on the clock. I even asked the Volvo dealer if it really was a 460! He was not impressed lol. Offered to teach me to drive till he downloaded the info from the computer and realised I hadn’t been thrashing the life out of it.
rubbish motor … you can keep them thank you :smiley:

Got to disagree with you on the fuel comsumption Bear, since 1 got mine on 1st December 2002 my fuel comsumption from then until now works out to 11.1 mpg. Admittedly I don’t run heavy but I am pleased with those figures.

Mad28. My colleague got a new MAN XXL, with the auto box, two months after me and while I have had very few problems with the Volvo, biggest one was a problem with the A/C which was fixed with a new control unit, he has had a fair few problems. The gear box has left him stranded and unable to select a gear on several occasions and among other things there was the minor problem of the fumes from the night heater exhaust leaking back into the cab and nearly killing him. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I don’t realy care about fuel consumption, … I don’t buy the fuel. :wink:

I tend to side with coffieholic, think the 460 you had mr bear was not up to par, fair enough our 3 are the first generation 460 but still average out 9 to 10 mph tho we dont pull any great weights, tho in the melon season running back from Greece up into France via Frejus at max weight with a frigo still get around 8.5. Also if major gripe is the fact that the gear stick gets in the way at peage’s why don’t your guy use left hookers saves all that agro. As an aside while waiting to get on the boat at Ancona this afternoon see a nice FH16 610 on Austrian plates, first one ive seen, now that is a nice truck. Great things these internet cafes they have on boats, still the bar is calling, so im off for a drink. Happy new year all. sdj

If the wage maches the truck fine, if they want me to drive an “orgasmic truck” for Pushing a pram money, they can keep their shiney new truck… :wink:

I might have smart truck over here but I also earn twice as much as i could back there, I spend at least 8 hours a day in my house and do not work saturday or sunday. My Volvo has shinny alloy wheels and a shinny stack, I keep the inside clean but if my boss expects me to wash the outside he had better pay me double time to do it. Back in the Uk on one or two jobs my trucks were imaculate but I did get paid extra to wash them. On this job we have a yard man who’s duty includes cleaning trucks now and then, if he doesn’t clean it it just gets dirtier.

I don’t own the truck so i don’t clean it. I would take a job driving a dustbin truck if it paid more.

to the bear, next time go via pamplona, agreda, mazzaron, then take the NII to madrid, your fuel consumption will be a lot better as there’s no hills, or get an iveco

biggusdickusgb:
to the bear, next time go via pamplona, agreda, mazzaron, then take the NII to madrid, your fuel consumption will be a lot better as there’s no hills, or get an iveco

funnily enough, biggus, next time, I went that way (thro Soria)… found it a much better route although not many stopping places

Biggles:
I tend to side with coffieholic, think the 460 you had mr bear was not up to par, fair enough our 3 are the first generation 460 but still average out 9 to 10 mph tho we dont pull any great weights, tho in the melon season running back from Greece up into France via Frejus at max weight with a frigo still get around 8.5. Also if major gripe is the fact that the gear stick gets in the way at peage’s why don’t your guy use left hookers saves all that agro. As an aside while waiting to get on the boat at Ancona this afternoon see a nice FH16 610 on Austrian plates, first one ive seen, now that is a nice truck. Great things these internet cafes they have on boats, still the bar is calling, so im off for a drink. Happy new year all. sdj

Remember, Biggles, this was a demo and we suspected it had had the nuts thrashed off it in its short life. For a 460, it pulled awful … more like a 380 lol
You must be on Minoan Lines then, Biggles!! Is it the Olympus Palace that has the Internet corner on it?? I was well made up when I found that lol

Morning Mr Bear, no its the Europa Palace I am on, now about 4hrs from Patra, as you say good things these internet corners, tho i seem to be on here more than i am in the bar, dont know if thats a good thing or not, tho as i am the only English guy on here there is not a lot of people to talk to, only a hand full of Greek drivers and a few Syrians taking old mercs back. Told yesterday that it looks like its gona be monday before i tip, still one of ours is in Athens at the moment so should be a good night. sdj