volvo f88

It’s not a 88 but this G 89 was sold in France after been tested in USA with some others that had “Trilex” wheels,also bought by Mauffrey transport firm.

michel:
It’s not a 88 but this G 89 was sold in France after been tested in USA with some others that had “Trilex” wheels,also bought by Mauffrey transport firm.

Nice Michel,
But looks here to have trilex at the rear ■■? opposite with Norway where they had the Trilex at the front
and discs at the back.

Eric,

tiptop495:
Nice Michel,
But looks here to have trilex at the rear ■■? opposite with Norway where they had the Trilex at the front
and discs at the back.
Eric,

I thought it was odd too. The rear tyres still appear to have US-size tyres on, while the fronts have more typically-European profile tyres- 1100s?? Maybe the front tyres and wheels were changed for France, possibly as a result of the US ones being rated at too low a load for a Euro front axle? The rear bogie would not be an issue, of course, when France used a single 13 tonne axle. Somewhere in France, there is a set of Trilex front hubs for a G89, with narrow wheels and tyres on them. :laughing: Only a thought.

The 1100 is still very popular in Nth America, this is my 9th year over there and everything I’ve driven has been on 11Rs either 22.5 or 24.5.

In the days of that 89 the yanks were still running around on cross ply rubber!

I would think the likelihood is that the rear axles themselves are lightweight US spec as a double drive 89 would have heavy duty axles which would be unnecessary and too heavy for the US market.

The double drive axles on my Volvos are only rated at 20,000lbs each, a heavy duty on road axle is rated at 23,000lbs. So a T ride type bogie would be complete overkill.

The first two Scania 111’s I bought in late '76 both came with 1100x20 Michelins which was a pain because our standard was 1100x22:5 tubeless ! Cheers Bewick.

…so are the front tyres on the G89 bigger than the rears, or do I need a new pair of specs? :smiley:

Get yourself down to specsavers mate. They appear smaller but only because of the tide mark from running through mud. They’re 11R22.5s

newmercman:
The 1100 is still very popular in Nth America, this is my 9th year over there and everything I’ve driven has been on 11Rs either 22.5 or 24.5.

In the days of that 89 the yanks were still running around on cross ply rubber!

I would think the likelihood is that the rear axles themselves are lightweight US spec as a double drive 89 would have heavy duty axles which would be unnecessary and too heavy for the US market.

The double drive axles on my Volvos are only rated at 20,000lbs each, a heavy duty on road axle is rated at 23,000lbs. So a T ride type bogie would be complete overkill.

The K1 I drove for Santina Bros was very modern for an 87 model. It had optional extra front brakes ( I know this as it had a warning sticker on the dash ) and it also ran on 11 22.5ves, how ever the Great Dane reefer I usually pulled was on 10 hundred cross plys which made going round corners on local roads interesting as it used to hang out wider than the truck.

Jeff…

Bewick:
The first two Scania 111’s I bought in late '76 both came with 1100x20 Michelins which was a pain because our standard was 1100x22:5 tubeless ! Cheers Bewick.

How did the different wheel size on the Volvos affect your operation Dennis?

With regard to the remarks about American cross plies, we used them in Saudi. Apart from the bump, bump, bump in the morning until they warmed up, we got long life and no problems out of them.

John.

i spotted Bob in his F88 timber lorry this week…still rolling :smiley:

newmercman:
Get yourself down to specsavers mate. They appear smaller but only because of the tide mark from running through mud. They’re 11R22.5s

Yes- I see the tide mark now. The fronts still look taller though, to me at least. :smiley:

Hey,

If you drove on 1000x20 then were you very slow, because we did with 1200 or 13 22.5 only 90 at 2200
with the 8 speed (not in the red band driving !!!
Or was there a faster used for GB ■■? There was a 4.32 but have never seen or found one.
that’s why i now go for a Fuller RTO 9513.

Eric,

carryfast-yeti:
i spotted Bob in his F88 timber lorry this week…still rolling :smiley:

Me too - on the Fosse Way near Shipston-on-Stour last week, empty :smiley:

I’ve been pondering on the F88 I briefly drove on 'fridge work back in '84. As you can see in the 2 pics of it below, it had the black square grille but the wipers are top-mounted and I know they were vacuum ones because I had to use the damned things! It was on a P-plate but it has been suggested to me that it could be older and have been re-registered. Maybe the grille replaced an earlier silver coloured one. Any suggestions? Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
I’ve been pondering on the F88 I briefly drove on 'fridge work back in '84. As you can see in the 2 pics of it below, it had the black square grille but the wipers are top-mounted and I know they were vacuum ones because I had to use the damned things! It was on a P-plate but it has been suggested to me that it could be older and have been re-registered. Maybe the grille replaced an earlier silver coloured one. Any suggestions? Robert

I would say that was definately an older one and would have had the silver grille chap. Main give aways are
the top mounted wipers that you mentioned and also only having the one handle below the windscreen.
The early ones like J regs had only the one handle ,the newer ones had the 2 black plastic handles fitted.
However the early ones had no small marker lights on the front above the headlights,your one did.Also the
early ones had the side indicators located on the front above the headlights ,then later models it moved to
the side pillar near the F88 sign on the doors,like your one.

Its has either been re registered or a more likely explanation is that it was sat somewhere for a long time
before being registered and sold ■■? It looks like it was one just before the changes were made with regard to
the window wipers and 2 x handles. The hercock one would have been a 1974 model and that has the black
grill, 2 x handles and the bottom mounted window wipers. Therefore yours being a P reg 1976 ? was infact
an older chassis registered much later than the 74 model of hercocks.It is possible that the dealer replaced
the chrome grille on purpose with a black one to make it look newer if it had been sat around for a few
years. But it still has only the 1 handle and top wipers that are a dead give away of it being an older chassis.
See attached pics.

volvooof885.PNG.jpg

volvooo886.PNG.jpg

volvooo882.PNG

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

I would say that was definately an older one and would have had the silver grille chap. Main give aways are
the top mounted wipers that you mentioned and also only having the one handle below the windscreen.
The early ones like J regs had only the one handle ,the newer ones had the 2 black plastic handles fitted.
However the early ones had no small marker lights on the front above the headlights,your one did.Also the
early ones had the side indicators located on the front above the headlights ,then later models it moved to
the side pillar near the F88 sign on the doors,like your one.

Its has either been re registered or a more likely explanation is that it was sat somewhere for a long time
before being registered and sold ■■? It looks like it was one just before the changes were made with regard to
the window wipers and 2 x handles. The hercock one would have been a 1974 model and that has the black
grill, 2 x handles and the bottom mounted window wipers. Therefore yours being a P reg 1976 ? was infact
an older chassis registered much later than the 74 model of hercocks.It is possible that the dealer replaced
the chrome grille on purpose with a black one to make it look newer if it had been sat around for a few
years. But it still has only the 1 handle and top wipers that are a dead give away of it being an older chassis.
See attached pics.

Most helpful - thank you! Robert

i think the black grilles started on very late L’s and definitely M’s , didn’t they change the interior on the black grille one’s to brown carpet from grey vinyl , did the same on the 86 at the same time.

tony

The plastic grilles were 1973/4 and they had a blue trim, as did the early 290s on an N plate, the brown trim was 1976 on.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpegsome f88s

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
and a 86 too