Volvo Engine probs

Hi just wondered if anyone has any ideas…The company i work for are having big problems with 3 of their Volvo’s two 08 reg’s and a 59 plate.they have been into crossroads at hull and they are aswell baffled and cant rectify it.Right here goes they are all 500 bhp EGR engines and auto box.they are all doing this,when you accelerate thru every gear just before it changes up the engine dies and makes a woosh sound of sucking air then a boom and black smoke comes out of exhaust like u wouldnt believe then engine picks up again and changes up ok…the problem seems worse when running empty to be honest and they go better fully freighted pulling uphill,while its driving along in top on the limiter the boost turbo guage on dash is all over the place. Crossroads have changed turbos,all air dryer parts and stuff like that and still no change.The same year volvo’s but with ad-blue SCR run sweet as a nut had no problems it just seems its the EGR engines…Any ideas?

Dealers are one thing, Volvo UK are pretty good, going to forward this on to them and see if they have any ideas to help you… with your permission of course?

Sounds as if they are not getting fuel hence the lack of power then the fuel is coming in too rich and combusting causing the black smoke

Cheers any help will do please Simon’s pulling his hair out lol. worst part is for me as the driver is when it does kick out black smoke its real bad and anything following just dissapears in smoke,it only takes a plod to be behind one day then will get pulled over surely.

It’s a pity that your Volvos don’t have ■■■■■■■ engines and Fuller transmissions like most of the ones here. That would solve all your probs.

Sounds something like the ECU cutting the boost and fuel, thats why u get a back fire then the engine picks up again. Map sensor could be dodgy. Stab in the dark, im not a mechanic.

Boost guage sensor faulty, giving the ecu false readings?

my 57 scania r480 opticruise does the exactly the same sounds like the exhaust brakes cutting in when changing gear and the same big puff of black smoke any ideas on that ?

We’re having the same problems with some of our 480’s and 440’s,all egr’s, and by all accounts its the injector seats getting burnt out.

Mate’s 58 plate went in to be done a few weeks ago,takes about 2 days to do the defect,noticed exactly the same faults youre getting and Volvo are aware of the problem,at Crick anyway they are.
Hope this may help you a bit mate.

Since my mates got done it goes better and it doesnt sound like a bag of nails when its ticking over now.

Hyper,as for your exhaust brake coming in as your opticruise changes up,its supposed to do.

The gearbox uses the exhaust brake to kill the revs when its upchanging so it can get the gear quicker( hahaha),so the manual says!!