Volvo D12D-fh12 ,2005 model

he llo gentleman
need some help regarding my volvo.
About 3 months back the truck was developing airlock and giving a hard time to start,we had to use a quick start spray. on board computer said fuel pump, we duly changed that and the fuel line. problem was slightly better.

came to a point that now engine cranks but just doesnt fire up,on board shhows canshaft and timing sensor are faulty,replaced these and now back to how it was ie it starts albeit with a spray of the good stuff.

a volvo fundi says that the injectors need replacing,my argument is when it does start the truck is perfect it has no misses and the power is top notch-so can the injectors be faulty?

any suggestions/tips welcome.

nb:first time in the 3 years since ive imported it from the uk its been bad…and i use it to pull a superlink trailer with payload of 34tonnes.

Hello

I would think it could be injector selves that I worn/failed that’s causing your problems.

Disconnect the tank return pipe and join a piece Of clear pipe between them, when you run the truck up,you should seen see no air bubbles if its ok air bubbles are injectors selves need replacing

thanks jwalker will definitely try as at the moment i have a quote of about £1500 to replace the injectors whew…

sounds more like the non return valve in the fuel line to me (the one from the front left side of the head back to the fuel filter area)

If it fires up first time with a bit of snort only thing it can be really is low compression.
Only problem is is that they get hooked on ether.The detonation tends to crack the top compression ring which of course makes the problem worse as this lowers the compression level even more.

Try a compression test for all the cylinders.If both cam and crank sensors come up faulty at the same time this is usually a sign of worn timing gear as the crank is running out of sync with the cam.The cam sensor is only there to tell the ecu which stroke number one cylinder is on so it only injects on compression when starting,the motor turns twice to sync the cam then injection commences.Most then shut down as the ecu then just follows firing order

One test is diconnect the starter from the main loom but join all the feeds together.Stick 48 volt through the starter to double its speed.If it fires up at higher cranking speed then you know you have got compression problems.

thanks gentlemen

all the advise sounds good and plausible ,will now have to try each one out and eliminate possibilities.Thanks so much for your time and sharing your experience.

Injector sleeves. Just had my engine rebuilt and they advised me to do them. Asked them what would be the symptoms of them giving bother and they said exactly what you have described. Sleves are about £20 each but special tool needed to do them without head being removed

Injecror sleeves for sure my 05 fh12 is very slow to start they have just done one of our other ones cured it straight away mines been done saturday

thanks gud people was the injectors,truck is running 100%.agin thanx for your input,

Just wondering, is it a manual gearbox or I shift?

its a manual g/box ,i would never buy one with an i-shift ,no sir not for africa.

Probably find no 6 sleeve being the awkward one to remove!