Volvo broms brake

drove a volvo for the first time and did not know what this brake was for , found it in truckers handbook and was off so okay thought others might like a look in case you come across apparently only volvos have this broms brake but if you do lose air in unit and it comes on what do you do?

broms brake is small push in brake under parking brake !

Jx

Jennie:
drove a volvo for the first time and did not know what this brake was for , found it in truckers handbook and was off so okay thought others might like a look in case you come across apparently only volvos have this broms brake but if you do lose air in unit and it comes on what do you do?

Jx

Build up the air and push it in! I’d have thought that was rather obvious tbh. :confused: :open_mouth:

Broms is Swedish for brake :wink:

Volvo is Latin for “I roll”. :wink:

Rob K:

Jennie:

Jx

Build up the air and push it in! I’d have thought that was rather obvious tbh. :confused: :open_mouth:

Did not make clear sorry if u lose air in unit must be a problem so how would I go about checking or is losing air in unit common place and u just build it up and away u go , sorry rob not been driving as long as u and just wondered why this would happen and what to do and what to look out for if it does

Jx

Jennie:

Rob K:

Jennie:

Jx

Did not make clear sorry if u lose air in unit must be a problem so how would I go about checking or is losing air in unit common place and u just build it up and away u go , sorry rob not been driving as long as u and just wondered why this would happen and what to do and what to look out for if it does

Jx

The BROMS has been fitted in Volvo since the very early days, and there are many drivers and fleet engineers have been caught out by it, even some of the magazines best road testers and journalists.

It looks a little more obvious on the picture here, but the early F7 button was buried in the carpet on the side of the engine tunnel, Rob hasn’t been driving that long…

Wheel Nut:

Jennie:

Rob K:

Jennie:

Jx

Jx

The BROMS has been fitted in Volvo since the very early days, and there are many drivers and fleet engineers have been caught out by it, even some of the magazines best road testers and journalists.

It looks a little more obvious on the picture here, but the early F7 button was buried in the carpet on the side of the engine tunnel, Rob hasn’t been driving that long…

The broms brake only relates to hand brake circuit, if you lost air on other circuits and if the system is working correctly the broms brake would not come on, it only came on if pressure was lost in the park brake tank, this nomally happened when the vehicle had been left overnight/weekend and air leaked from that circuit, never known it come on when driving. Done many call outs, only to press in the broms brake, as the driver had air pressure up on the gauges he thought there was a fault, not knowing about the broms. One theory I was told, Volvo put this in as a safety device, so, if the handbrake was left in the run postion, air pressure building up, driver out of the cab!!, the truck could not run away when pressure was up as you would need to push in the button. Those were days !!!

So basicly,

If you loose your air and take the parking brake off, the broms brake shoots out and stays out until you have pressure.

Once you have pressure the truck/parking brake are unable to do anything until the broms brake is pushed back in.

Volvos are the only vehicles with them.

Top Tip

If you have a night out in a Volvo and the vehicle has a small air leak, or you have air suspension and it’s a very windy night, pull it out before you go to bed otherwise it will scare the crap out of you when it shoots out around 02:00. :wink:

Thanks guys I have my answer having not come across it in my 18 months of hgv driving didn’t know its full use and hopefully another newbie will know what it is if they get a volvo to drive

Jenx

Coffeeholic:
Top Tip

If you have a night out in a Volvo and the vehicle has a small air leak, or you have air suspension and it’s a very windy night, pull it out before you go to bed otherwise it will scare the crap out of you when it shoots out around 02:00. :wink:

That is indeed a very good top tip as I found that out the hard way. The sudden rushing of air at 2am from the dashboard area in a completely silent environment is quite scary. :astonished: Similarly, it’s a good idea to dump the air out of the tractor unit suspension if it’s prone to leaking air overnight too. Then you won’t have creaks, bumps and bangs happening unexpectedly as the truck keeps dropping down in stages. :bulb:

Yea i found out the hard way a few weeks ago after an early start one morning LOL took of hand break and truck still would not move 4.30 am phoned boss and looked like a right t**t when he said look for a nob under the handbreak and pull it … :blush: …could have been worse eh he could have said tell the nut that holds the steering wheel to pull the nob under the handbreak :unamused::stuck_out_tongue:

YAMBOL57:
Yea i found out the hard way a few weeks ago after an early start one morning LOL took of hand break and truck still would not move 4.30 am phoned boss and looked like a right [zb] when he said look for a nob under the handbreak and pull it … :blush: …could have been worse eh he could have said tell the nut that holds the steering wheel to pull the nob under the handbreak :unamused::stuck_out_tongue:

I think you mean handbrake. A hand break is something else entirely, but it might have been what your boss was thinking. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:

YAMBOL57:
Yea i found out the hard way a few weeks ago after an early start one morning LOL took of hand break and truck still would not move 4.30 am phoned boss and looked like a right [zb] when he said look for a nob under the handbreak and pull it … :blush: …could have been worse eh he could have said tell the nut that holds the steering wheel to pull the nob under the handbreak :unamused::stuck_out_tongue:

I think you mean handbrake. A hand break is something else entirely, but it might have been what your boss was thinking. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing:

sorry lol should have said LOOK FOR A NOB UNDER THE HANDBREAK AN PUSH IT IN some one had put that on aswell as hand break …so when i took the hand break off the broms was still on … I didnt even know it existed till that morning sat woundering why air was up on gauges and still could not move .even with HANDBREAK off :imp: :imp: :smiley: :smiley: .

stagedriver:

No, they are not.
It might be a scandinavian thing, and volvo is the only one that don’t remove it,if sold to europe? I have no idea.

But, I have found these buttons in lots of different trucks, my first was an F616, then an old daf 2200.
Even our new-ish scania r480’s and ategos have them.

Just saying, in case you release the handbrake, and stay “stuck” anyway. :wink:

Us swedes take great pride in our broms-knobs…

Wheel Nut:
[The BROMS has been fitted in Volvo since the very early days, and there are many drivers and fleet engineers have been caught out by it, even some of the magazines best road testers and journalists.

I love it when people say things that confirms my intelligence.

I was given the opportunity to move a 6-wheeler in the yard - and found it wouldn’t budge. Having spotted a knob with BROMSBRAKE on it, I pulled/pushed/twisted it - or whatever it needed - to enable the vehicle to move. This was in the late 1980s - and only today have I bothered to research and find out what a BROMSBRAKE knob does. As we’d parked the truck with all brakes off, I’d guess the function but was not aware of whether it was a separate braking system (which is what I wanted to know today) or not.

I guess those ‘fleet engineers’ were mere fitters and not engineers at all. After all, surely you’d expect engineers to be able to read and understand words - like ‘brake’ whether or not it has ‘broms’ in front of it.

Shopnut:
[The BROMS has been fitted in Volvo since the very early days, and there are many drivers and fleet engineers have been caught out by it, even some of the magazines best road testers and journalists.

The broms brake only relates to hand brake circuit, if you lost air on other circuits and if the system is working correctly the broms brake would not come on, it only came on if pressure was lost in the park brake tank, this nomally happened when the vehicle had been left overnight/weekend and air leaked from that circuit, never known it come on when driving. Done many call outs, only to press in the broms brake, as the driver had air pressure up on the gauges he thought there was a fault, not knowing about the broms. One theory I was told, Volvo put this in as a safety device, so, if the handbrake was left in the run postion, air pressure building up, driver out of the cab!!, the truck could not run away when pressure was up as you would need to push in the button. Those were days !!!
[/quote]
I’m going to disagree with you - now ! Having seen a comment on another forum - their logic makes more sense - in that if you lose service brake pressure, the bromsbrake system automatically releases parking brake system pressure hence applying the parking brake whether you want it on or not.

stagedriver:
So basicly,

If you loose your air and take the parking brake off, the broms brake shoots out and stays out until you have pressure.

Once you have pressure the truck/parking brake are unable to do anything until the broms brake is pushed back in.

Not quite - doesn’t matter what you do with the parking brake control. Service brake system pressure loss triggers it.