Volvo brake disks

We’re looking to replace brake disks on our Volvo FH tractor units ourselves rather than the Volvo dealer charging us a fortune to do it.

Does anyone know the size of the socket to undo hub cap and the size of the hub nut underneath? Are the hubs easy to pull off or do you need a puller to get them off?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

i have a cap socket, i dont remember the hub sizes at this time i will look tomorrow, the main problem will be the ring of small bolts that go through the disc clamp, these will snap off for fun so the method is to cut the disc into 3-4 pieces with a 9 inch grinder or still saw and then knock the bits of disc off the hub before trying to undo the clamp bolts!
if the bolt heads do snap we have welded nuts on to the bolt threads with good results (the heat seems to help) even then some have had to be drilled out in the past!
the other main task is cleaning the hub splines well as the disc wont fit right if the splines have any rust/corrosion, the other thing is use a good quallity solid disc as some of the pattern discs have been known to work loose as the clamp is not much use! (most local hauliers dont bother fitting vented discs any more due to cracking far more than solids)
you should be able to get the hub off without a puller,having said that the last one i did had wheel bearing issues as well and i ended up making a puller out of some thick steel plate and threaded rod
you will also need the torque setting for the hub nut as it’s F/T, over 1000 nm if i remember right

moose

Thanks for that moose, have had issues in the past where Volvo have sheared off all the retaining bolts then fitted a new £800 hub, nice of them. I’ve now got 2 spare hubs that I’ve had repaired so my idea is to get the spare hubs ready with a new disk on, truck in, hubs off, new hubs on, truck out. I can then remove old disks when I ave more time. I agree the vented disks are crap so I only fit solids.

If you can get me the socket sizes it would be be much appreciated, can get the sockets in ready for the job.

At one time volvo would try to sell you a hub if you had wheel bearing issues as they said they were a sealed unit!
i dont think the bearings are to bad on price, just had a thought are you doing the rear hubs as well as you will need another size socket for the rear!
you will also need a torque multiplier i would have thought to get an accurate hub nut setting (some folk dont bother and just set the hub nut’s to F/T)

Not attempting rears yet moose, just some mid lifts to start with. Have got my torque wrench that goes up to 1000nm and a multiplier that goes up to the same.

This far east manufacturer’s catalogue is useful for having a lot of the dealer type tools in it for reference, their version of the Volvo hub sockets will be in there, I would get the impact sort I think box wrench style would be a false economy.

hcb-autotools.com/truck/Basic-Xml%20Version/

We have just done this with our fhs the other comments are correct but reassemble with copper slip in the bolt holes. Worse bit is the bolts shearing in the hubs other than that no problem only ise solid discs nowadays