Volvo 6x2 tractor units

Just wondered if Volvo ever made a 6x2 twin steer tractor unit?

Wanting to stretch one to make a Chinese 6 prime mover but the last few I’ve looked at have been straight push axles. I’m sure that a few years ago I drove loads of twin steer Volvos but beginning to question myself. Do they exist?

i cant say i remember one marlow the only twin steers ive driven was a man f2000 and scania 4 series 420

They did make a second steer, but it was a floating type.
They had quite a few problems with it not locking up when revercing

they did do a twin steer but it was an optional extra and cost a fair bit over the fixed lift if memory serves correct

:confused: I didn’t think they did ever make one, and I seem to remember them saying they never would either - if the grey cells remember correctly. :confused:

Then again there are Volvo 8 wheelers out there aren’t there ■■ :confused: :question:

Only only on 8 leggers.

Yes they did and still do twin steer models. This for example is twin steer truck. Volvo truck finder founds only some 6x2/4 models, but I think reason behind this is that they are incorrectly marked as 6x2 models.

Kyrbo:
Yes they did and still do twin steer models. This for example is twin steer truck. Volvo truck finder founds only some 6x2/4 models, but I think reason behind this is that they are incorrectly marked as 6x2 models.

:confused: That a 6x2 but I doubt its twin steer, more like fixed mid axle. :wink:

It’s steering mid-axle. In the notes it says “ohjaava väliteli”, which translates to steering mid-axle. Couple of other examples, this is correctly marked as 6x2/4 but then there is this vehicle which is marked as 6x2*4 which it clearly isn’t. This is what I mean that vehicles chassis types are marked incorrectly.

marlow:
Just wondered if Volvo ever made a 6x2 twin steer tractor unit?

Wanting to stretch one to make a Chinese 6 prime mover but the last few I’ve looked at have been straight push axles. I’m sure that a few years ago I drove loads of twin steer Volvos but beginning to question myself. Do they exist?

i was looking at doing the same a while ago for shifting brightbar but never really got into it, you certainly don’t see many on the roads.

Yes Volvo have made twin steer tractors.

Before the weights went up to 38t, they made the F7 chinese six which the oil companies bought in modest numbers.

The first F10/12 38t 6x2 tractors (flat tops) were twin-steer, but they only steered up to a road speed of 15mph - any faster and they were in fixed mode.