Volunteers to record LGV number plates

Trading Standards are looking for folks to do their work for free,they pass the numbers to DVLA,a fine is issued for crossing a bridge with a weight limit.
How would the volunteers have any knowledge of the size and weights of any vehicle,they would have to stop the vehicle to check the plating certificate inside the cab,only the police or vosa have the power to stop.
If a truck was passing legally,and they write your number down,and a fine,because they thought you were over weight.
It seems the council will get their way in closing a major TRUNK road for large hgv`s,isnt there an EU law stating the free movement of goods within Europe,and no delays of these goods.

The government man who set this up is on 01225 713060,or email peter.dunford@wiltshire.gov.uk
No abusive calls or emails please.

toby1234abc:
How would the volunteers have any knowledge of the size and weights of any vehicle,they would have to stop the vehicle to check the plating certificate inside the cab,only the police or vosa have the power to stop.

They don’t need to have any knowledge. They “just” take down numbers and pass them on to the DVLA, who would issue a fine if necessary.

I see,that weight of the truck would be on the DVLA database,i emailed the chappie concerned.

so they write down the number plate of a artic, how do they prove it was loaded or not or whether it had a trailer?
Im going to go on dragons den with a nimby concentration camp

You have a valid point,if you are crossing the bridge with a tractor unit,you get fined as the tractor unit is capable of 44 tons,hope they will have cameras to record the info,the UK is like living in Russia,KGB spies.

A 7.5t weight limit is 7.5t gross vehicle weight, not the weight of the vehicle unladen.

The question was asked, who would do it, well me for one, & with a little bit of knowledge of the transport industry. Until these myopic drivers stop coming across our bridge after passing 4 sets of signs, they still say they didn’t see them.

I offered my services at the local parish council meeting less than 2 weeks ago.

bubsy06:
so they write down the number plate of a artic, how do they prove it was loaded or not or whether it had a trailer?

that is irrelevant if the empty vehicle weighs less than the weight limit, it goes on what weight the vehicle is taxed at

eg, if a tractor unit weights 7000Kg, but is taxed at 44,000Kg, it cannot enter a 7500Kg weight restriction

How r they going to enforce that…ie…theres a bridge by where i live which is 18t weight limit,i on the odd occasion have crossed it in my artic which is plated @44t…i was empty @ ths time and my weighbridge ticket in hand read 17640kg

shuttlespanker:

bubsy06:

that is irrelevant if the empty vehicle weighs less than the weight limit, it goes on what weight the vehicle is taxed at

eg, if a tractor unit weights 7000Kg, but is taxed at 44,000Kg, it cannot enter a 7500Kg weight restriction

Really? so its not a weight limit then more of a how much you pay in tax limit.
Why do places have weigh bridges then? surely they just need a guy to look at your tax disc? ok mate you weigh 44ton as your tax disc says £■■■

elcamino:
How r they going to enforce that…ie…theres a bridge by where i live which is 18t weight limit,i on the odd occasion have crossed it in my artic which is plated @44t…i was empty @ ths time and my weighbridge ticket in hand read 17640kg

when DVLA get the registration number, it will show up what weight the vehicle is plated to, it is irrelevant that the vehicle may be empty or not

bubsy06:

shuttlespanker:

bubsy06:

Really? so its not a weight limit then more of a how much you pay in tax limit.
Why do places have weigh bridges then? surely they just need a guy to look at your tax disc? ok mate you weigh 44ton as your tax disc says £■■■

yes, it is a weight limit, it is classed as a MGW

if the limit is 7.5 tonne MGW a 6x2 tractor unit with tri axle trailer is plated at 44 tonne MGW

the vehicle will be breaking the law by entering the weight limited road unless it can be proven that it has a valid reason to be there, i.e. delivering on that road, and not just using it as a cut through

if a company didn’t have a weighbridge, and it was a loose load, then how would they know what weight to load onto the vehicle

Bit of a worry that professional drivers do not know about weight limits. I fail to see how you could be fined because one member of the public says that you crossed a weight limit. Surely they would need another witness or video or photographic evidence. The police can’t do you if they don’t have a second police man as a witness or radar equipment for speeding. The reason for all the police cars having video cameras in car is so the police can work on their own and have proof of offences other than just their word.

Also as alot of wieght limits allow for access how could they know where you were delivering.

Wheel Nut:
A 7.5t weight limit is 7.5t gross vehicle weight, not the weight of the vehicle unladen.

The question was asked, who would do it, well me for one, & with a little bit of knowledge of the transport industry. Until these myopic drivers stop coming across our bridge after passing 4 sets of signs, they still say they didn’t see them.

I offered my services at the local parish council meeting less than 2 weeks ago.

Mostly bloody foreigners crossing your bridge, bet they wouldn’t get a fine. they did have a camera at my end a while back before some scroat nicked it.

elcamino:

Because as others have said, it’s the plated weight of the vehicle unless stated otherwise, There is a bridge round my way that has a 17 Tonne limit, but it says except for empty trailers. But most just have a weight limit. If it says except for access then it’s to stop HGV’s using it as a through route.

Slightly off topic but could you drive a solo artic unit through a 30t weight limit, I’d say yes because the unit would be plated at between 18 & 26t depending on axle configuration. Only the trailer would make the GVW increase. A drawbar outfit would be the same surely.

I know that 30t is an odd one but I’ve seen one once in East Sussex.

8wheels:
Slightly off topic but could you drive a solo artic unit through a 30t weight limit, I’d say yes because the unit would be plated at between 18 & 26t depending on axle configuration. Only the trailer would make the GVW increase. A drawbar outfit would be the same surely.

I know that 30t is an odd one but I’ve seen one once in East Sussex.

no, as the unit is taxed at 44 tonne, regardless of whether it has a trailer on the back or not

the prime mover of a W&D combination is ok as that can be used purely as a rigid, and also taxed as such, the trailer part of the W&D combination has its own tax

we had this happen to my firm a branch of national builders merchants one of our 18t trucks went over a bridge which has a weight limit of 7.5t except for access, there were people standing one side of the bridge taking reg numbers.
About 2 weeks later the manager got a letter stating that if we were unable to prove we had a reason for going over said bridge we would get a fine,we sent a copy of a del note to them and we have not heard anything since . so they do follow it up .

toby1234abc:
they pass the numbers to DVLA,

They didn’t used to, they simply used to send a fine through regardless. A company I worked for got one when one of it’s 7.5 tonners went through a 7.5t restricted road :unamused:

bigstu99:
we had this happen to my firm a branch of national builders merchants one of our 18t trucks went over a bridge which has a weight limit of 7.5t except for access, there were people standing one side of the bridge taking reg numbers.
About 2 weeks later the manager got a letter stating that if we were unable to prove we had a reason for going over said bridge we would get a fine,we sent a copy of a del note to them and we have not heard anything since . so they do follow it up .

Why was it down to your company to prove they were innocent surley its down to them
to prove you were guilty . It use to be innocent until proven guilty or is that not the case anymore :confused:

cms.wiltshire.gov.uk/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=22539