Volunteers required!

Mike-C:

classic33:
We can work together to try & sort this problem out, or wait whilst legislation is brought in to cover the problems faced.

Who thought these where a good idea?
tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/ … t-tips.pdf

Ecouraging cyclists to drive down the inside of a stationary vehicle and then try and pull in front of it ?

One near me has you going down the left hand side & crossing 3 seperate lanes of traffic. Each controlled by their own set of lights. Personally, I’d like to see all ASL’s removed with all traffic forming up as it should line astern.

That & ASL’s were/are put in place as a result of knee jerk reactions to sort a problem out & made it worse by placing the expectation on a rider of being able to get to the front of the queue. Good in theory, but not so good in practice.

nick2008:

daleyboy:
I think you will find St Andrews road runs right upto the old level crossing by Hambrook pallets

it sure does and most ppl that ride bikes down that way will more often than not ride on the Wide path where the cycle way crosses at the traffic lights… where Honda is on the cabot park est that’s all cycle way on that est…
I’m not ■■■■■■■■ but I wouldn’t ride the road down there fella I would use the path /cycle way the path was at some point marked as a CW until you cross the bridge to go past the old Exel depot … knowing its a high risk High volume Heavy goods traffic area using your noggin saves lives and the plod wouldn’t turn an eye if you were on the path there any way , Why … because if your alive and riing its less hassle for them.

its the first time i’ve ridden it today and I followed the cycle path all the way from the police place right upto the honda roundabout then hung a left and thats where I had the issues, on the return ride ride I rode along that bit of footpath, trouble is when you’re a big fat knacker like me bumping up and down those kerbs is worrying that the wheels will buckle lol.

I think in future I am going to avoid St Andrews road. Riding a bike again after all these years has really opened my eyes as to how dangerous some of these so called professional drivers are.

Going back to the road signs and driving assessor comment. You Would be amazed how many drivers have come for assessment that haven’t even be able to score 80% pass on 64 multiple choice questions on road signs and tacho regulations, and its all basic stuff. The lowest score I’ve seen is 24%

3=4 times more pedestrians are fatally injured than cyclists but there isn’t the same hullabaloo? Maybe Boris could take an interest there too and help raise their profile? Cycling is something I’d like to see encouraged and made safer but only if cyclists are willing to finance the infrastructure they want. Maybe we could introduce mandatory testing, licensing and perhaps a Cyclists Certificate of Pedalling Competence? I’m sure the money raised would help.

Juddian:
The problem here is that on both sides the preachers are only preaching to the converted.

The half wit cyclist intent on death and the equally half witted attending the steering wheel won’t even be aware of another viewpoint, and in many cases too aggressive/stupid/obtuse/disinterested to be able to see the situation other than from their own perspective.

There are thousands of cyclists intelligent enough not to put themselves in harms way.

Equally there are thousands of competent lorry drivers who know how to drive, they also know how to set their mirrors up and keep things clean enough to be useful, and most importantly take a pride in their work.

Its the tiny minority of numpties on both sides causing this problem, you can’t educate the terminally stupid.

A major issue also is there are simply too many people crammed into this small island, and thats only going to get worse, forward planning for the logictics of overpopulating the country was never even considered.

The rate of attrition due to overcrowding in all ways will only get worse.

I agree with Juddian. He makes a lot of sense!

Any decent lorry driver with the right attitude knows how to drive safely around cyclists. The morons causing problems through poor observations and aggressive driving are beyond help & won’t be interested in being educated voluntarily. No point just targeting lorry drivers anyway, the problem is the overall attitude towards cyclists from motorists on a whole. The YouTubing cyclists post far more videos of dangerous aggressive driving from car drivers than lorry drivers. Unfortunately where there is an accident involving a lorry it inevitably turns out worse, but the cause is the same - bad driving (assuming it was indeed the driver at fault!).

It would be useful to run a high profile advertising campaign on TV & radio educating the general public on what cyclists actual rights are on the road, many people are completely uninformed in this area. Cyclists are traffic perfectly entitled to use all of the road and people need to get used to that. Such an advertising campaign could include advice to cyclists on what they need to be aware of.

Voluntary education schemes are not the answer. The message has to be crammed down peoples throats like the ‘Stop Think Listen’ & ‘Think Biker’ campaigns. I am yet to see a similar campaign for cyclists.

DrivingMissDaisy:
3=4 times more pedestrians are fatally injured than cyclists but there isn’t the same hullabaloo? Maybe Boris could take an interest there too and help raise their profile? Cycling is something I’d like to see encouraged and made safer but only if cyclists are willing to finance the infrastructure they want. Maybe we could introduce mandatory testing, licensing and perhaps a Cyclists Certificate of Pedalling Competence? I’m sure the money raised would help.

Speaking for myself here, but I’d prefer to see no further seperate facililties/farcilities for cyclists on the roads. They can leave people with a false sense of security, see the piece above on cycle filter lanes & ASL’s at junctions.

The money often wasted on these can be put to better use just maintaining the roads for all. But box ticking exercises come first & they require very little effort on the part of those implementing them.

I have tried to register one of these, without the seating:

Brox Large.jpg
But got led from pillar to post over the registration. The best the DVLA, DFT & VOSA could come up with at the time was remove one wheel, then they wouldn’t have to bother dealing with the matter.

VOSA thought that me requesting to register as the user/keeper of a 9 foot trailer, for the Brox, was a windup at first.

An example of a knee jerk reaction already planned
Rough cost for the equipment to become compulsory if Labour win the next General Election.
Figures given for typical 18-tonner.
Reversing Alarm: £130.
Rear-view Camera: £450.
Flashing Lights & Beacons: £650.
Daytime Running Lights: £350.
Class VI(Cyclops) Mirror: £25.
Rear Warning Signs For Cyclists: £3*
The above to be fitted within a month of the election, the following by December 2017.
Side Underrun Guards: N/A.
Blind Spot Elimination Devices: £450.
Audible Warning For Cyclists: £130.
Comes to about £2,200.
An Artic would cost disproportionately more & Tipper Operators can add a further £2,500 for Side Underrun Bars & Sheeting System.

Uncertainty yet as to wether the beacons will be required to be on at all times. If so what about vehicles already obliged to have these fitted & in operation when on the road.

*Cyclists won’t be the only ones behind. And once its made compulsory, the price will rise. Arco were selling No Smoking signs at clearance prices, 75p, until the law was changed banning smoking in the workplace. They then increased fifthteenfold in price.

Trying to get insurance for a bike is nigh on impossible & of the two I found for when carrying any load, the quote was just below £3000 per trip. On two, four or more wheels.

A number of us have tried over a number of years to get the RHA & FTA involved. But even given recent events, they still don’t want to get involved. The question then asked is why don’t they want to know & they will not answer that question.

If you’re serious about taking the offer, daily commute run with a cyclist, let us know.

And will the government be assisting transport companies in the cost of installing all that equipment on their existing fleet?

Nope, just another kick in the nuts.

Brucewillis:
It’s the cyclist that needs educating not LGV drivers. Don’t we jump through enough hoops already,to in most cases earn little more than the minimum wage!!

correct :laughing: I thought we learnt to ride at primary school :sunglasses: with/ without stabilisers :smiley: then progressed to building your own racing CART! :wink: then LEARNT TO DRIVE/ ride a motorcycle! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: progression onto trucks/ buses or tanks as in green tracked ones if your dim enough to be a tankie! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Yes I’d be up for it no problem, but I’d want my DCPC card till 2014 please! :laughing: :laughing:

I’d be up for it. Heres my thoughts on the subject http://www.lorry-driver.com/2013/11/enough-is-enough-cycling-carnage.html?m=1

Well I’m sure it’s been said, (I’m not trawling through it all) but we can ride bikes as well as drive wagons!

Hiya the last company i worked at, the transport manager cycled to work every day.(from the Northwich
side of Chester just into wales about 4 miles). from Chester to Saltney is cycle way marked but on the pavement.
my transport manager never used the cycleway, He said that was for ■■■■■’s not real cyclists.
GO get him Boris, tell him the law,
John

There’s a distressing number of people - both on here and in the real world - who seem to think that it’s the law to use a cycle path where one is available. It’s not. Cyclists have the right to use the road if they see fit, and indeed it’s the wisest thing to do if they’re faster than about 18mph (which is easily achievable). Count me as another who has done plenty of miles on a bike sharing the roads with trucks (often wearing lycra). Oh, and hello Classic33 … :smiley:

You just know the poster who’s name shall not be mentioned will be along soon, repeating over and over the same things he’s said a thousand times before.

Rhythm Thief:
There’s a distressing number of people - both on here and in the real world - who seem to think that it’s the law to use a cycle path where one is available. It’s not. Cyclists have the right to use the road if they see fit, and indeed it’s the wisest thing to do if they’re faster than about 18mph (which is easily achievable). Count me as another who has done plenty of miles on a bike sharing the roads with trucks (often wearing lycra). Oh, and hello Classic33 … :smiley:

Yes and the sheer number of misinformed people is why we need a high profile national awareness campaign through the media. Not voluntary schemes which the screwdrivers will be too ignorant to entertain. All you would need is a TV advert on during Coronation Street bluntly making the point that cyclists can use a full lane to educate a large number of people on that one point.

switchlogic:
You just know the poster who’s name shall not be mentioned will be along soon, repeating over and over the same things he’s said a thousand times before.

Do you think if we all start chanting it aloud he will turn up?
Alltogether now

CHE…

Rhythm Thief:

Kept the avatar similar.

So for those that are willing to take part, would you let me know what area of the country you’re in. So I can try & get a local rider?

STER. Sorry, it’s not him.

I’ve said before that they should go back to the public information films they used to have on tv. Older members will remember the ones about littering & crossing the road. Some of you might remember the “Charlie says” ones about the dangers of fires & playing around lakes etc. As the intelligence levels of the country seem, in my opinion, to be dropping rapidly I think they need reminding of various dangers on a daily basis.
I bike all the time, my new job means I’ll be doing 41kms a day, using all the roads, some busy some not. You can tell the attitude of drivers by how close they get to you, some think it’s hilarious to shave as close to you as possible, yes trucks as well I’m afraid, but the vast majority are fine. personally I don’t think anything you put on a truck, or car, will make a blind bit of difference, you cannot legislate for the human element. Now, the majority on here will always blame the cyclist regardless while those that cycle & drive trucks will see both sides. As in when im biking to work im a lycra clad looney that should be horsewhipped, until i get there and get in the truck & then im a good guy.
That said I’d be interested to see how many take up the offer.

Perhaps this “Yummy Mummy” should take up the offer…

image.jpg

classic33:

Rhythm Thief:

Kept the avatar similar.

So for those that are willing to take part, would you let me know what area of the country you’re in. So I can try & get a local rider?

In the unlikely event that anyone else on here would be up for a commute from Ross on Wye to Gloucester along the A40, I’d be up for being the accompanying rider. Might get my fat lazy ■■■ back on the bike again … :blush:

Didn’t do my cpc about bike riding so I can’t do it I don’t think I’m insured too either and if that isn’t a good enough excuse I don’t understand twisty gears does said bike come with a 4/4 instead?