Volunteering work and drivers hours

Hi all,

I’m thinking of doing some volunteering work outside of work hours and am struggling to find any info as to whether this is legal or I’d be breaking WTD hours by doing this?

Hoping someone may be able to help me

Thanks

I know that if you volunteer to drive a truck then you have to record the time you spend driving

Do Working Time Regulations apply to volunteers?

The EU Working Time Regulations 1998 cover matters such as daily working hours, rest breaks and holiday entitlement. They only apply to workers and employees working under a contract, so organisations are not obliged to follow this piece of legislation when working with volunteers.

tuc.org.uk/workplace-issues/volunteering

This would all be non lgv driving work, should have added that

Is it a vehicle that requires a tachograph, basically over 3.5t or towing combination exceeding that?
If so you can generally do a day every other weekend. Without going into chapter and verse the main issue is weekly rest periods.

You haven’t really given enough information to receive a yes/no. What are your normal working hours, what vehicle is it for what purpose, how often are you thinking of doing extra work etc. Post a bit more! cheers Tim

Does being a special constable count towards working hours?

I would say yes you can, because when you’re on break you should be able to “freely dispose of your time”.
No one can stop you mowing your lawn, fixing your car, etc on your weekly rest but that can be perceived as work.
But if it’s on tacho, it could be a different matter.

George@ASDA driver:
Does being a special constable count towards working hours?

No, because it’s a hobby, that’s why Special Constables are called “Hobby Bobbies” :stuck_out_tongue:

Volunteering is doing something of your choice on your own time so it can count as rest for all the regs

Thank you everyone for the info