Volunteer Driving

I have been asked if I am able to drive a hired goods vehicle from the UK to Switzerland and back for a large Scout Camp. I will be unpaid and might have some incidental expenses covered, but it is strictly not for profit. I hold a full Cat C licence, tacho card and will have my CPC for lorries by the time the event comes around. I have a few questions regarding rules on this please:

• If the vehicle is under 7.5t, is it at all covered by goods vehicle rules regarding hours, tacho etc at all?

• If it is over 7.5t do I have to use tacho etc?

• Is there anything I’m missing, is this going to be an issue in a way I have not thought of?

For the record, I am an experienced driver of large vehicles and have no issues driving a long distance in a large vehicle on the continent.

No EU regs exemption if over 7.5 tonnes (LGV C1)

Other countries may have slightly different regs

I suggest posting in EURO FORUM

Hirers won’t generally insure anything over 7.5t even if that and you need to provide your own insurance for the vehicle ( generally a year minimum policy ) and you’ll need at least a restricted international O licence even to carry own account goods.

Check out the .gov site but, any goods vehicle over 3,5 ton plated weight needs to be operated on a tacho to EU rules on International trips. Domestic exemptions can’t apply on non domestic trips.
If operating as a volunteer you maybe exempt from having contract of employment on you, but it is “easier” to have one, rather than stand at the roadside arguing about possibly being exempt.

Hi, going to guess you’re going to Kanderstag ? I have done the run a few times, last time in a Sprinter pulling an Ifor Williams box trailer, running at about 5.5 tonne, be careful they like to fill all the space regardless, my understanding is that you are exempt from taco & operator licence rules if used for private use, the onus is on you to prove / satisfy the appropriate authority’s that it is being used privately. I was using my own vehicle and obtained a letter from the group leader on headed paper advising what I was doing and who for, also had the trailer fully sign written in the Scout Logo, ( makes a difference )

Good luck

Peter Ball:
Hi, going to guess you’re going to Kanderstag ? I have done the run a few times, last time in a Sprinter pulling an Ifor Williams box trailer, running at about 5.5 tonne, be careful they like to fill all the space regardless, my understanding is that you are exempt from taco & operator licence rules if used for private use, the onus is on you to prove / satisfy the appropriate authority’s that it is being used privately. I was using my own vehicle and obtained a letter from the group leader on headed paper advising what I was doing and who for, also had the trailer fully sign written in the Scout Logo, ( makes a difference )

Good luck

I can see that O-licence rules won’t apply in a non commercial operation but are you sure about driver’s hours?
If you had any controls were they Gendarme or Douane?

Franglais:
Good luck

I can see that O-licence rules won’t apply in a non commercial operation
[/quote]
Define own account work and the need for a restricted O licence in that case.IE exactly how do you differentiate an ‘own account load’ requiring a restricted O licence v a supposed ‘non commercial’ ‘private’ one which supposedly doesn’t ?.The holiday trip could be over before sorting out that argument with any or all of the different potential bureaucracies on the route. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Worst case scenario 1 year insurance to cover the hire vehicle,restricted international O licence,ATA carnet for the load + anything else we’ve missed. :wink:

Thank you all for your responses, sounds like it’ll be easiest to get a 7.5t at most, or maybe a large van and trailer.