Volumetric Mixers

Along with other equipment these came in for MOT testing last month, however from a brief trawl through what I can find on t’internet they are also due to be subject to operator’s licensing and driver’s hours regulations as well as a concession regarding axle weights.

All very well, but what is the situation regarding these other aspects right now? These were mobile plant so no HGV licence was needed, the indications seem to point towards drivers requiring HGV qualification, but I am not finding a relevant date for anything other than requiring HGV MOT before the next tax disc renewal.

cav551:
Along with other equipment these came in for MOT testing last month, however from a brief trawl through what I can find on t’internet they are also due to be subject to operator’s licensing and driver’s hours regulations as well as a concession regarding axle weights.

All very well, but what is the situation regarding these other aspects right now? These were mobile plant so no HGV licence was needed, the indications seem to point towards drivers requiring HGV qualification, but I am not finding a relevant date for anything other than requiring HGV MOT before the next tax disc renewal.

I thought it already came in with DCPC and you cannot hold that unless you have a C or D on your licence

1st September 2018 for the new licensing rules

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … cision.pdf

transportoperator.co.uk/2014/03/ … gulations/

Seems like they are still making their minds up

I worked one of these for last three years, it is absolute disgrace how the company I worked for ran these things. Just treat it as a multi-drop 3.5t van and carry on doing whatever they like. No rules or regulations.

As I understood it, they are classed as mobile plant as they carry sand, stone, water and cement in separate compartments(not a ready mixed product) and mix concrete on site. There are no weight regulations as such on these vehicles, So you are expected to go by design plate of the vehicle, hence Renault chassis are ideal/ popular because they have a rating of 44ton. Saying that I have run one at 54tons with a design plate of 32t, even with dvsa stopping and not being able to do a ■■■■ thing about it(just goes to show why companies take the ■■■■).

Until recently they used to run without MOTs, just inspections. No tachgraph use, they are set to out of scope, some companies expect you to work all day and go on night jobs 15+ hours a day without breaks, just because they can get away with it, when you kick off, they will move you along get a new driver in. I believe from September they will be classed as HGVs as DVSA is finally catching up with the con. HGV cab and chassis, running on road, where’s the exception? Same as concrete pumps.

Here’s a fun fact, technically you can drive these on a car licences, class 2 rigid body, weighs more than a class 1, still using the same roads as your wife and kids and yet anyone can jump in them and off they go. HGV license requirement is only for insurance purposes.

MrAttitude1988:
I worked one of these for last three years, it is absolute disgrace how the company I worked for ran these things. Just treat it as a multi-drop 3.5t van and carry on doing whatever they like. No rules or regulations.

As I understood it, they are classed as mobile plant as they carry sand, stone, water and cement in separate compartments(not a ready mixed product) and mix concrete on site. There are no weight regulations as such on these vehicles, So you are expected to go by design plate of the vehicle, hence Renault chassis are ideal/ popular because they have a rating of 44ton. Saying that I have run one at 54tons with a design plate of 32t, even with dvsa stopping and not being able to do a ■■■■ thing about it(just goes to show why companies take the ■■■■).

Until recently they used to run without MOTs, just inspections. No tachgraph use, they are set to out of scope, some companies expect you to work all day and go on night jobs 15+ hours a day without breaks, just because they can get away with it, when you kick off, they will move you along get a new driver in. I believe from September they will be classed as HGVs as DVSA is finally catching up with the con. HGV cab and chassis, running on road, where’s the exception? Same as concrete pumps.

Here’s a fun fact, technically you can drive these on a car licences, class 2 rigid body, weighs more than a class 1, still using the same roads as your wife and kids and yet anyone can jump in them and off they go. HGV license requirement is only for insurance purposes.

A mixer driver told me was running at 54 ton when I was speaking to him,just thought he was talking rubbish,looks like I owe him an apology

bobbya:

MrAttitude1988:

A mixer driver told me was running at 54 ton when I was speaking to him,just thought he was talking rubbish,looks like I owe him an apology

It’s load as much as you can mentality on them, see then going down th road spilling sand and stone all the time. If u get stuck behind one get ready to replace your windscreen lol