Voltage converter

I think there has been a discussion on this topic before but I can’t find it.
Just about to go and buy a laptop, and then I am going to need to buy a voltage converter 12 Volt to 240 volt,

Can anyone send me the link to this topic please, or failing that give me info where to get one.

Cheers-----Tony

You need an inverter. Quite expensive, but handy bit of kit. Try ebay or maplin websites. Make sure it’s 12v you need cos most trucks have a 24v cigarette lighter socket. Don’t want to fry the laptop :open_mouth: :wink: Maplin also do a cigarette lighter power supply for laptops, but again it is 12v, so you need a 24-12v adabtor if running on 24v :unamused:

Whilst on this topic, I got given an inverter the other day, but when I plug it in, the power light on the plug stays on but the box beeps and the power light on the box goes out 2 seconds after plugging it in. Anybody got any ideas whether it is broken or am I doing something wrong? Have checked it is a 24v one and the connection plug is firmly inserted in the socket. What’s wrong??

Thanks for the reply Lostpup.

It is 12 volt I need I have the Kettle permantly plugged into the 24v so there is no danger of frying it.

Cheers mate-----Tony

Make sure the socket you plug it into has a big enough dropper, if u use the 12v lighter socket it may not run it through the inverter.
In my volvo, ive got a 24v socket in the back, and plug the inverter into that and it runs it fine, it will cost you about £40 for an inverter unless you want to go all the way and get a pure sine inverter, then it will be more up round the £200 mark, but to just run and charge the laptop go for the cheaper option.

Anyway, take a look on www.roadpro.co.uk then you will get some ideas of how much etc

Thanks Gurner
Just bought one off Ebay £29